Just took a long flight today from coast to coast. First BB does not auto adjust time (as I already knew) for some reason, so one has to do this manually. And second there seems to be a delay when powering the unit on after a bit of time as the unit will power, but will take 1-5 minutes to be ready to be used. Any tips on how to fix this?

John
    12-30-09 01:33 AM
    That is weird, easiest way is to get rid of sprint!!

Just kidding, anyone??
    12-30-09 01:35 AM
    If you mean you had the mobile connection off and turned it back on all of your email, messages, on line apps are connecting to download or update....

Not sure what the other poster meant about Sprint..
    12-30-09 02:32 AM
    That is weird, easiest way is to get rid of sprint!!

Just kidding, anyone??
    The man sitting next to me on one of the connecting flights was using a Sprint BB Tour and he did not know what I was talking about when I asked him about the problem.
    12-30-09 06:33 AM
    If you mean you had the mobile connection off and turned it back on all of your email, messages, on line apps are connecting to download or update....

Not sure what the other poster meant about Sprint..
    Yeah after I turned the phone back on (it was not in airplane mode but completely off it took about 3-5 minutes to download a half dozen text messages, emails, and voice mails. But dont understand why the man next to me (also using Sprint) with his BB Tour did not have this problem. Strange..
    12-30-09 06:35 AM
    I did run into people who were using iPhones that auto adjust time, and 1-2 that told me, they would never go back to a BB. But I said it all depends on perspective, as BB is much smaller, and has the keyboard which iPhone does not. BB has its advantages and its not as sophisticated as iphone which means its better for some.

Just like how I know people who do not want a smart phone, but just a simple non texting phone.
    12-30-09 06:38 AM
    Yeah after I turned the phone back on (it was not in airplane mode but completely off it took about 3-5 minutes to download a half dozen text messages, emails, and voice mails. But dont understand why the man next to me (also using Sprint) with his BB Tour did not have this problem. Strange..
    Strange, my wife doesn't have this problem. She has a curve and travels for a living.
    01-01-10 12:44 PM
    Why do I have it then?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-01-10 04:15 PM
    i had the same problem w/ my clock. i had to change the time zone myself even though when i goto OPTIONS > DATE/TIME and set Date/Time Source to Network nothing seems to happen. What does Date/Time Source do? my sons pos samsung gets the local time. whats up with that?
    01-02-10 12:36 PM
    I did run into people who were using iPhones that auto adjust time, and 1-2 that told me, they would never go back to a BB. But I said it all depends on perspective, as BB is much smaller, and has the keyboard which iPhone does not. BB has its advantages and its not as sophisticated as iphone which means its better for some.

Just like how I know people who do not want a smart phone, but just a simple non texting phone.

Lets do a test... I turned my device off with the turn power off icon and turned back on with red phone button... mine was very quick. It was not off long enough to have missed calls, texts, apps connecting to be loading up. If yours is not quick try going to mobile connection and turn off your mobile network which will allow you to use your device games etc... (i use this way) just no network... turn it on and see if it is the same or slower start up. I think what happens is your phone is acquiring new towers (diff city and catching you back up.... the guy with the tour has a faster device but he may have had no messages etc... let me know about shutting down and restarting please.
    01-02-10 12:59 PM
    Lets do a test... I turned my device off with the turn power off icon and turned back on with red phone button... mine was very quick. It was not off long enough to have missed calls, texts, apps connecting to be loading up. If yours is not quick try going to mobile connection and turn off your mobile network which will allow you to use your device games etc... (i use this way) just no network... turn it on and see if it is the same or slower start up. I think what happens is your phone is acquiring new towers (diff city and catching you back up.... the guy with the tour has a faster device but he may have had no messages etc... let me know about shutting down and restarting please.
    On my most recent trip I met a man with also a BB Curve on Verizon and he told me he has the exact same problem. So unless you also have a Curve and are willing to power off your phone for an hour or so, then I am at a loss here for help.

John

PS- The problem has NOTHING TO DO with the towers as yesterday I had my phone's radio off for one flight (about 4 hours) and when I turned the phone on (no radio) it took about 3 minutes before I could even access the icon to turn the radio on.
    01-03-10 08:25 PM
    i had the same problem w/ my clock. i had to change the time zone myself even though when i goto OPTIONS > DATE/TIME and set Date/Time Source to Network nothing seems to happen. What does Date/Time Source do? my sons pos samsung gets the local time. whats up with that?
    Date / Time source determines whether you get your time from the Netork for from BlackBerry. In neither case will the device automatically change the time zone. Pre OS5.0, you have to do that yourself. OS5.0 has an automatic time zone function, but it is not perfect. You can read all about it in the Time Zone Issues thread in my sig.
    01-03-10 09:25 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD