I'm involved in telecommunications infrastructure and have been building networks for a while now. Until recently, phones haven't been a very useful tool when on location. That's starting to change.

Here's how I use my Curve: Tools. Mobile Network. The BB button to the left of the ball. Diagnostics Test. The button to the left of the ball. Run. Once you run the test you can establish the dBm (signal strength), G, and IP address.

But other phones will tell you the PN number (basically identifies which cell tower you phone is using) and some other things. This is helpful to me when I might need to employ a repeater solution to get coverage inside the building.

The problem with the way I have to do it is that the diagnostic test automatically registers my blackberry every time I run the test, which is no good because as I'm walking a location, I might want to refresh the dBm reading 50 times depending on the size of the building.

I was hoping someone might sell an application that allows me to run diagnostics on the network independent of the phone's diagnostic functions.

Anyone in here have any ideas or know of any apps that would work for me?

fershizzle
    04-17-09 02:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD