Hey guys, I have a huge problem.

This morning, I plug my bb into my laptop to transfer some songs and everythin worked great.

Now, wheb I arrive home I plugged it in again, but this time there is no response: no mass storage enabling popup, the bb is not recognized as a drive, thepowerchord on the scrren(so that you know it's plugged in) will only show for a couple of seconds, wheb I connect, theb it just dissapears. Any idea ? I'm desperate. I love my bb.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-24-09 04:45 PM
    My usb connection isn't the greatest either. I have to "tweak" my usb plug in the direction towards the back of the phone to get it to "connect".

Try lightly pushing on your usb plug at the BB's port toward the back of the phone, and I do stress the word lightly.
    06-24-09 05:12 PM
    Restart your computer.

06-24-09 05:14 PM
    My usb connection isn't the greatest either. I have to "tweak" my usb plug in the direction towards the back of the phone to get it to "connect".

Try lightly pushing on your usb plug at the BB's port toward the back of the phone, and I do stress the word lightly.
    the problem is it charges perfectly, and the usb worked great too until tonight.....
    06-24-09 05:17 PM
    Restart your computer.

restarted the computer already. no luck
    06-24-09 05:18 PM
    the problem is it charges perfectly, and the usb worked great too until tonight.....
    same problem with charging (
    06-24-09 05:19 PM
    Battery pull?

06-24-09 05:25 PM
    same problem with charging (
    That's why I bought and use a charging dock to save my usb port for important stuff like OS loading and backups/restoring.
    06-24-09 05:25 PM
    i think there is a problem with the middle pin because it is higher than the rest. i tried leveling it to the level of the other pins but it doesn't want to, it keeps comingback up...
    06-24-09 05:26 PM
    Battery pull?

did that also
    06-24-09 05:26 PM
    Update: ok, seems charging works,but usb still not working. And it's not the cable, because I tried it with a different usb cable and have the sane problem... I'm still positive that it's that middle pin, but what to do about ? It won't level with the others. It just bounces back

06-24-09 05:50 PM
    I had this problem for awhile,then last night when i tried it again it worked fine. I guess it works when it wants.
    06-24-09 06:03 PM
    Update: ok, seems charging works,but usb still not working. And it's not the cable, because I tried it with a different usb cable and have the sane problem... I'm still positive that it's that middle pin, but what to do about ? It won't level with the others. It just bounces back

I just went through this EXACT problem. Since we have two 8330's, two usb cables and two laptops, troubleshooting was a snap.

What we needed to determine was if the problem was the device, the usb cable, or the laptop.

After a bunch of plugging and unplugging it turned out that it was the device.

Solution:
    1. Do you have recent backups of contacts/calendar/settings and 3rd party apps? If yes, then you are good to go. If no, find Desktop Manager 5.0 beta because it is the first DM version that allows backup over bluetooth.

2. Call Sprint Blackberry Tech Support at 1-877-654-9111. Explain the problem. I called twice. The first rep wanted to wipe the phone to set it back to factory defaults then reinstall the OS. That's what caused me to hustle to run current backups. The second rep just shipped me a reconditioned (i.e. new, but without the box, memory card, charger, manual etc) phone.

Between calling rep one and rep two, I went to the Sprint store. It was a zoo, and a total waste of time. They wanted two hours just to look at the phone. Once I determined that I could wipe it myself with JL_Cmdr without voiding the warranty, I quickly left. But even JL_Cmdr could not see the device over USB. That's when I called rep two.

I just yesterday finished reinstalling the last 3rd party app. Then I immediately ran a full backup and a backup of 3rd party apps (method listed elsewhere here at CB).

Good luck. Let us know how it turns out.
    Last edited by mrmw; 06-25-09 at 04:56 AM.
    06-25-09 04:01 AM
    As Mr. MW started to say, the troubleshooting is the most important part... It sounds like it isn't the cable, but it could be the lappy or the berry. Did you plug something else into that USB port to verify it worked? Did you plug the BB into another laptop or desktop?

I'd try that first just to verify where the problem lies...
    06-25-09 05:07 AM
    Thanks for your responses guys. It's not the laptop's usb port because it recognizes other devices. When I get home I will try in plug it into another computer to see if that works, will keep you updated

06-25-09 07:58 AM
    open desktop manager attach the phone as usual but with battery out you should get pin o or pin unknown click unknown start apploader then put battery in and let it finish at the end it should give you your pin and be recognized
    06-25-09 09:21 AM
    Thanks for your responses guys. It's not the laptop's usb port because it recognizes other devices. When I get home I will try in plug it into another computer to see if that works, will keep you updated

Good plan. Make sure that with computer #2 that you use usb cable #2 also so as to eliminate both the cable and the computer from the equation.
    06-25-09 10:02 AM
    this happened with me. i had to uninstall and reinstall the blackberry disk thing that came with it. after that it worked fine.
    06-25-09 10:31 AM
    Did you plug in any other hard drives or memory card readers?

I had this issue with my phone a week or two ago, where it was conflicting drive letters with an external hard drive, or my iPod. When I unplugged the HD it would work fine.

Try unplugging anything USB that isn't necessary, then plug in the phone. Try every port.

If it works, then it needs to be assigned a drive letter. You should be able to figure out how to do that with a little google-ing.
    06-25-09 11:37 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD