Ok i'm trying to charge my BB using my USB cable at work. I plug it in and no charging icon appeared. I was prompted to enable mass storage mode which I did but nothing changed. I'm able to view my media card files but still not charging. I did some research on CB and found that I needed to install the desktop manager on this computer which I did. Version 4.6 w/ media manager. The phone is being recognized but still not charging. I've tried all USB ports on my computer. Does anyone have any other options for me? Thanks in advance for any help with this... it's driving me crazy.
    09-04-08 08:42 AM
    Not all USB ports will charge a BlackBerry. Using a wall-charger is a more reliable, faster charging method.

Also, if you plug in a phone that's fully charged, you won't get a charging indication.
    09-04-08 12:36 PM
    Thanks for your help. Much appreciated!
    09-05-08 07:23 AM
    I was having this problem when I went to DM 4.5. I've since learned that not only do I now have to have DM installed, but up and running while the device is connected in order for it to charge via USB. Also, what kind of machine are you running at work? Laptop/Desktop, make model?
    Last edited by Mitch R.; 09-05-08 at 07:32 AM.
    09-05-08 07:29 AM
    Not that this is helpful, but since misery loves company, I'm having the same problem even thought I've tried all of the variations and permutations of the suggestions above. I'm using a laptop, although I'm not sure if that makes any difference. I'll post again if I get any good advice from Verizon. Good luck! And thanks so much to the folks who already replied. Very nice of you and helpful!
    09-05-08 08:30 AM
    If you are using Windows XP or Vista, it is not necessary to install any DM to charge the BB via the USB cable. Windows XP and Vista will regulate/increase the required voltage through the USB port. However, if you are using USB expansion ports, the charging might not work unless you have a separate power supply to the expansion ports. My boss does not use DM on his PC and I just plug in the USB cable into his PC and use it as a charger for his BB.
    09-05-08 10:24 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD