So I was having some trouble initially upgrading from TMO OS version to v4.5.0.52, however I wiped the device, 2nd attempt to install was flawless, and device was working great!!

Little problem though: I can receive e-mails and SMS, and I can receive calls, and I can make calls when I'm connected to wi-fi, I just can't seem to make any calls or send txt/e-mail of my own when I'm just using the cell radio. I have 4-5 bars of signal strength, and other software packages are definitely sending and receiving data (i.e. google maps, google chat, facebook, etc...). Every SMS I try to send times out and fails, and every attempt to make a call ends with beeps and a message about my call failing.

Any ideas or advice on where the problem might be? I tried to search the forums, but haven't come across anything quite like this? Like I said, everything else is working GREAT...just can't dial or call out if I'm on the cell network rather than UMA :-(

Thanks for any help that you all may be able to provide!!
    09-02-08 01:24 PM
    did you try a battery pull?
    09-02-08 01:26 PM
    If you happen to be in the Manhatten NY area, there has been a report of voice and data outages today.
    09-02-08 01:30 PM
    You probably didn't wait for the official release of the OS right?? You will run into this kind of stuff if you did an early upgrade on OS, sorry, patience is a virtue.
    09-02-08 01:40 PM
    So just did a battery pull...and when the phone restarted, where it used to say "T-mobile" across the top, it now says "SIM Card Rejected"?

I am actually in Manhattan, so I'm hoping that may be the source of the problem! If I fried the SIM card, that sort of thing would have happened all at once, correct? Wouldn't have lost phone calls but had data, then moved to this?

I dunno, I used the one that GARZ had posted in the sticky...does the .55 upgrade work better (just saw that you posted that you successfully upgraded to the newest one!)

Update: So after another battery pull, I'm back and registered on the TMO network...my other friend seems to be having the same problem on a normal TMO clamshell phone too...perhaps it is the network then?
    Last edited by NYCNsciGuy; 09-02-08 at 01:50 PM.
    09-02-08 01:45 PM
    if now it says sim card rejected, your sim is prolly fried... how old was it?
    09-02-08 01:47 PM
    Sim card was only like 5-6 months of use...so seems unlikely unless the upgrade did something? haha but it was and still is transmitting data over the edge network!
    09-02-08 01:52 PM
    You probably didn't wait for the official release of the OS right?? You will run into this kind of stuff if you did an early upgrade on OS, sorry, patience is a virtue.
    Sorry, but that is a blatantly false remark!

Although it is partially correct... there is no need to say this, seeing that .52 was a fairly decent Beta release

I have never heard of anyone losing the ability to send SMS and make calls, etc. I think Sunkast is dead on in assuming there is some sort of outage. As for the fried SIM, TMo should be able to give you a new one... free of charge!
    09-02-08 02:01 PM
    isn't .55 an official release?
    09-02-08 02:02 PM
    Ahhh, see, I saw the debates as to whether .52 was official or just a really polished beta....but after doing all the research, seemed like there were few if any problems if you upgraded the phone correctly!

Based on my little experiment with my friend, I'm putting my money on their being a problem with TMO (her phone has full bars, but says the phone isn't connected to a network, can't make calls or send SMS too!)

Thanks for all the replies though...and thanks for assisting in my moment of panic!! Guess I'll wait it out, and if it still doesn't recover after a call to TMO (on a landline of course!) I'll come back for further troubleshooting!
    09-02-08 02:05 PM
    glad to hear it was just a network issue... i believe .52 and .55 are both official releases
    09-02-08 02:08 PM
    glad to hear it was just a network issue... i believe .52 and .55 are both official releases
    Yeah... they are "official" for some carriers... but no US carrier has an official release as of yet. And most of the foreign carriers slapped an "official" stamp on a Beta and threw it on their website!
    09-02-08 02:11 PM
    Oh, if I need a new sim card, do they just copy everything over from the present one, or do I just go back and re-re-install the OS and such?
    09-02-08 02:12 PM
    Ahhh that explains the discrepancy then...and makes a lot of sense! haha so I'm probably running a beta of some sort then! (Albeit a safe-ish one!)
    09-02-08 02:12 PM
    Yeah... they are "official" for some carriers... but no US carrier has an official release as of yet. And most of the foreign carriers slapped an "official" stamp on a Beta and threw it on their website!

lol
    they don't do the vigorous testing that other contries do...
    09-02-08 02:13 PM
    Ok, thanks again to everyone who helped out! Turns out it was indeed the outage issue with TMO....all the problems are gone and I'm back to making calls again!
    09-02-08 04:01 PM
    no problem!!!
    09-02-08 04:03 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD