So i just bought a BB curve used on ebay, im getting ready to go to Verizon this week to switch service off my old LG Env and was curious, the OS on the phone is 4.3 can i update it to 4.5 even though the phone isn't activated yet?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-21-09 03:57 PM
    the phone needs to be active.

BlackBerry® Software Updates
    01-21-09 03:58 PM
    I was using the BB desktop manager not Verizon's website

01-21-09 04:13 PM
    Yes you can

01-21-09 04:15 PM
    If u are doing it at home if u bring it in to the store to update it. They will make u avtivate it

01-21-09 04:16 PM
    Yeah i am doing it at home. Thanks guys

01-21-09 04:22 PM
    You can also activate it from home on the verizonwireless website. You will need to sign up for a free acct. if you aren't already signed-up to see your online billing, etc.

When you activate your Blackberry, the system will know it's a smartphone and make you add a data/email plan.

If you don't already have a messaging plan on your acct. you will need to add one, as text/pics/vieo messaging is not included.
    01-21-09 04:39 PM
    I can pay my bill and view it online through Verizon, i really only need to add the data plan to get online, i have the unlimited pix/flix thing on my env right now. So you are saying i just click the "Activate my Phone" option?
    Last edited by Milla; 01-21-09 at 05:15 PM.
    01-21-09 05:08 PM
    Ive been wanting to update my curve all day but every which way i try to do so it doesn't work. I don't understand why it's so complicated to make a simple update. With my Treo i just connected it to my comp, went to the Palm site and clicked my update. On my BB i have to delete files and this and that, since im a newbie i dont wanna go bricking my BB. Also if anyone knows how to find a update on sprints site please let me know, because i looked but cant find anything about it. I would really like to get 4.5 so if anyone can give me a perfect way to install id appreciate it.
    01-21-09 06:10 PM
    What curve do you have futraxlab

01-21-09 06:12 PM
    I just used my BB manager and it does everything for you, it was successful (my update that is).

01-21-09 06:14 PM
    I can pay my bill and view it online through Verizon, i really only need to add the data plan to get online, i have the unlimited pix/flix thing on my env right now. So you are saying i just click the "Activate my Phone" option?
    Activate your phone and add the data plan. That will give you internet and e-mail access. I think its like 25 bucks or something.
    01-21-09 06:17 PM
    So i just bought a BB curve used on ebay, im getting ready to go to Verizon this week to switch service off my old LG Env and was curious, the OS on the phone is 4.3 can i update it to 4.5 even though the phone isn't activated yet?

You can change the phone yourself from Env to BB from Verizon's website & save yourself a $20 charge (if they do it for you)...then you can perform an update from Verizon's website as well/
    01-21-09 07:47 PM
    You guys are awesome, thank you so much

01-21-09 09:06 PM
    One question before i activate my BB on Verizons site it says "Be sure to have your old phone turned off before you start the activation process." does that me physically push the power button to shut it off, or go to the store and have it turned off, im a bit confused.

01-21-09 09:25 PM
    One question before i activate my BB on Verizons site it says "Be sure to have your old phone turned off before you start the activation process." does that me physically push the power button to shut it off, or go to the store and have it turned off, im a bit confused.

Have it physically turned off... no need whatsoever to go to Verizon store.
    After the device switch, it will say something like "activation successful, dial *228 option 1, after waiting 5 - 10 minutes."
    01-21-09 09:28 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD