I want to update my USC 8330's operating system. I am NEW at this stuff and don't want to screw it up. I am also a serial cell phone killer and do not want to take my talents to the BB side!! Please hold my hand for a second and direct me to the update that I need, so I am not on here tonight begging you guys to fix what I screwed up! Thanks so much!!
    07-25-08 03:39 PM
    Welcome...and please SEARCH
    07-25-08 03:41 PM
    If your new to BB i would suggest holding off updating your OS until you are familiar and comfortable using it.
    07-25-08 03:42 PM
    If your new to BB i would suggest holding off updating your OS until you are familiar and comfortable using it.
    This is the best advice otherwise as irockstar661 mentioned use the search option. its your best CB friend.
    07-25-08 03:47 PM
    I did. If you search "8330 os update " on the first page alone, you get five different updates. I simply want to know what is the latest RIM released update, not a beta update. From there, I can probably figure it out. I wouldn't have asked for help if I hadn't tried all other options first.
    07-25-08 04:42 PM
    Well if you want the official latest OS for your phone you would look at the top of this board and see it posted as a sticky.
    If you still can't see it is 4.3.0.127.
    07-25-08 04:53 PM
    I always suggest this for newer members. You can screw your device up, as you already know. Get a little more familiar with it, and I'll walk you thru an upgrade.
    07-25-08 04:56 PM
    The folks above me are giving you really solid advice
    on holding off for a bit. We all want the latest and
    greatest, but the better you know your BB, the better
    you'll be able to handle any potential pitfalls.

Besides, you have 4.3, there is lot you can do with
    that right out of the box.
    07-25-08 05:00 PM
    As yet another CrackBerry genius - duh - I agree what what ever what's his name from earlier said. Wait for a while. Read a lot. Ask loadsa questions.
    07-25-08 05:21 PM
    I probably will hold off a bit on updating...the problem is this, the GPS function on the phone will not work. They have replaced it already, as they thought it was a malfunction in the original one. I have been advised that the only way to get it to work, is to update the OS. Not ideally what I had in mind, but, one of the reasons I bought this particular BB was for the GPS function. I will gladly take any other ideas or suggestions to get the thing to work. It has been quite frustrating as you can imagine, especially when this board is literally all the tech support I can find, as USC knows NOTHING about the Curve as it is new to them. I have had HORRIBLE tech support there, all the way to the technician reading and googling for help while I was on the phone for three hours. This is the simplest and the best source of information around. Sorry if I sounded snotty, but really I did try to search first. I don't know enough about the OS updates to go willy-nilly at picking one, especially when I have heard that some updates do NOT work with the 8330. I'm can figure out HOW to update it once I make sure I have the right one. Thanks for trying to help.
    07-25-08 05:23 PM
    Forgot to add, I am not totally "new" to BB...I had a 7250 prior to this one. Never really did much with it other than search the web and check email. Tried a Windows based smartphone (bad idea) and had major issues so I came back to BB. I am, however, totally "new" to this forum and trying to do "more" with what I have.
    07-25-08 05:26 PM
    I probably will hold off a bit on updating...the problem is this, the GPS function on the phone will not work. They have replaced it already, as they thought it was a malfunction in the original one. I have been advised that the only way to get it to work, is to update the OS. Not ideally what I had in mind, but, one of the reasons I bought this particular BB was for the GPS function. I will gladly take any other ideas or suggestions to get the thing to work. It has been quite frustrating as you can imagine, especially when this board is literally all the tech support I can find, as USC knows NOTHING about the Curve as it is new to them. I have had HORRIBLE tech support there, all the way to the technician reading and googling for help while I was on the phone for three hours. This is the simplest and the best source of information around. Sorry if I sounded snotty, but really I did try to search first. I don't know enough about the OS updates to go willy-nilly at picking one, especially when I have heard that some updates do NOT work with the 8330. I'm can figure out HOW to update it once I make sure I have the right one. Thanks for trying to help.
    Well, if your carrier told you to update the OS, I would ask them where to get it then. Then they're going to tell you there is no official release. This is when you tell them 1) I want a new device. 2) or I want a really nice discount. But I'd go with #1. That is a load of bull, that the GPS will only work with a higher OS, then they fon't have a OS to give you. You should ask them why they sell the device then.
    07-25-08 05:53 PM
    Try testing your GPS with this CrackBerryProject v 1.2.2.zip It is a free and very simple GPS program with no maps. It was written by paul.haenel a member here.

If you want to find an Operating System for your phone, download CrackMem from here
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/crac...eleased-52044/ and read the Resources section in the help file. All the links you need are there. CrackMem is also free.

I also completely agree with Crucial_Xtreme. This should not be your problem.
    07-25-08 06:04 PM
    Thanks guys! Now you see why I have been so ******** frustrated!!! OK, here we go. Maybe it is something as simple as operator error, maybe not. I know you guys will get me on the right track though

Open BB Maps....first it puts me smack dab in the middle of Africa, no matter how many times I tell it I live in NC. Second, I tell it to find location. It searches and searches and searches for satellites. NOTHING. That is as far as we can get.

So, what will be the easiest solution to fix this problem first and foremost, then maybe I won't have to dink with the OS. That would be really cool!
    Do I need an external GPS puck? Do I need additional software? Do I need to scream really, really loudly at USC cause they don't know what the heck they are doing?? When this is all said and done, will it give me turn by turn directions as they "suggest" that it will (although they don't know how to do it!) If not, point my GPS into the direction that will.

And, thanks!!
    07-25-08 06:14 PM
    1) options > advanced options > GPS > press menu
    select Refresh > save and close

2) Run setup wizard and under date and time make
    sure your Timezone is correct, whenever I update it
    defaults to Montevideo.

Then try BB Maps again.

3) Consider Google Maps as an alternative
    Last edited by amazinglygraceless; 07-25-08 at 06:25 PM.
    07-25-08 06:22 PM
    uh, when I press menu for the GPS I am given only the option to close...
    07-25-08 06:26 PM
    YEAH!!!!! OK, update!! It has found me, finally. Don't know how I did it. I pulled the battery, ran the startup wizard again, and the GPS has found me sitting in the house. So from there I told it to find location, cause that's what the USC told me I needed to do next once it found me. It says, "location not found". Now what? When these bugs are worked out, and I have my conniption at the USC office, what exactly is it going to do? Is it just going to show me where I am going, or tell me too? THANKS SO MUCH!! Problem 1, half solved!!
    07-25-08 06:51 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD