I just ran the software updater on Blackberry.com to update my wife's aging BB curve with AT&T. It's been running like crap, so we thought this needed to be done. Everything was done and it's back up and running, but the phone is completely empty now. No contacts, no calendar entries, nothing.

Is there anything that can be done? Or does she have to start over?!

Oh man, I'm in trouble if she has to start over....

Why in the world would it erase everything?
    08-03-09 06:48 PM
    Did it ask you at any time to wipe the device?
    Do you have a current backup on the PC?
    08-03-09 06:52 PM
    No, it never asked, it just did. But it did say on the screen of the BB that it was "wiping".

No, no backup, we've never sync'ed this BB with the PC. She doesn't use it in such a way that ever required it really.

I'm just at a loss as to why a software update would do that, I would've never done it had I known.

It says in the little popup software updater box that "your device will be backed up and restored" but it doesn't seem to have happened.
    08-03-09 06:55 PM
    No, it never asked, it just did. But it did say on the screen of the BB that it was "wiping".

No, no backup, we've never sync'ed this BB with the PC. She doesn't use it in such a way that ever required it really.

I'm just at a loss as to why a software update would do that, I would've never done it had I known.

It says in the little popup software updater box that "your device will be backed up and restored" but it doesn't seem to have happened.
    It should have created a back up file somewhere, check in your my docs folder, it should be called Backup and the date you did the upgrade. As long as you didn't click skip the back up step, there is a back up file somewhere on your PC it always does it unless you skip it.
    08-03-09 07:21 PM
    I didnt' skip anything. Any idea what that file would be called?
    08-03-09 07:30 PM
    Do an advanced search for the time / date near the same time you did the upgrade. Look for a file that looks like a backup file.
    08-03-09 07:32 PM
    I didnt' skip anything. Any idea what that file would be called?
    It will be called Backup and the date you did the upgrade. Just remember the date will be in year/month/ day format.
    08-03-09 07:36 PM
    out of curiosity what did it upgrade the curve to because I've had that show on my DM but haven't upgraded anything yet because the phones been running fine.
    08-03-09 07:40 PM
    Not seeing it...

I think it said 4.5 is what it upgraded to. It took quite awhile to install and reboot.
    08-03-09 07:46 PM
    check your program files/blackberry or rim folder i believe thats where mine always try to save to but i change the folder
    08-03-09 07:47 PM
    Not seeing it...

Try opening DM and go to the restore/ backup option and click restore and see if it shows you a backup file.
    08-03-09 07:48 PM
    4.5 what though? mine came with 4.5.0.110 (152) so i was curious what it might be trying to go to now
    08-03-09 07:59 PM
    Try opening DM and go to the restore/ backup option and click restore and see if it shows you a backup file.
    Sorry dude, I'm feelin' like a moron, what's DM?
    08-03-09 08:02 PM
    the deskmanager
    08-03-09 08:04 PM
    Sorry dude, I'm feelin' like a moron, what's DM?
    DM would be Desktop Manager and we have all been newbies before, so don't feel bad.
    08-03-09 08:04 PM
    Okay, got it, you guys mean on my PC right, not on the BB? You'll have to excuse me, I don't really know how to use her BB...

On my PC, under the restore files, it says "there are no backups available on this computer".

Any other thoughts?

I think I'm F'ed. The good news is I just downloaded the PC software so that I can back it up from now on.
    08-03-09 08:08 PM
    If she never backed it up maybe you don't even have DM on the pc. Install it, then hook up the BB and see if you can restore it using DM. There's probably a backup file stashed in Program Files/RIM/somewhere with the date. But you need DM to install it. Most people use DM to update the software OS. I do.
    Last edited by thebignewt; 08-03-09 at 08:12 PM.
    08-03-09 08:09 PM
    had to have put DM on the desktop to upgrade it even through blackberry.com i would think. i went over there one time and it needed to install apploader on mine cuz i didnt have it but had the DM
    08-03-09 08:11 PM
    Okay, now I see what you mean. I don't have DM on the computer. I'm downloading it now.
    08-03-09 08:19 PM
    Do an advanced search on your computer for a file *.ipd and make sure it searches hidden and system files as well.

The file is probably named Loaderbackup(date).ipd but search with the wilcard *.ipd just in case.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-03-09 08:31 PM
    Do an advanced search on your computer for a file *.ipd and make sure it searches hidden and system files as well.

The file is probably named Loaderbackup(date).ipd but search with the wilcard *.ipd just in case.

I'm a bit computer ********, especially with Vista. How do I do a search like that?

Sorry guys, thanks for the patience. I'm an air traffic controller by trade, and I can move hundreds of airplanes every day, but I can't figure out how to work my damn laptop or my wife's cell phone lol
    08-03-09 08:33 PM
    right click the start button and push search, then you could do a blanket search for the word backup which should pull any file in the box next to it and if it has a date next to it with the .ipd extension that's your curve back up.
    08-03-09 08:35 PM
    To do a search, open up a File Explorer window. Click on Search in the menu toolbar and select file search. Put in the name of the file to search for as *.ipd and click on advanced options. Check off to search for hidden folders and system folders. Make sure it is searching the whole C: drive, not just the directory you happen to be in, like documents.

08-03-09 08:40 PM
    Blueyestm beat me to it.

Just make sure you click on advance options and include hidden and systen folders in the search.

08-03-09 08:42 PM
    Damn. Nothing. I guess we're starting over. That'll teach us not to back this damn thing up from now on, that's for sure!
    08-03-09 09:20 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD