Hello all. I recently returned to the BB Curve 8330 after almost a year on the Droid. I am sure that there has been updates to the OS on my BB since I put it in the drawer. I just cant remember how to check for them, install and so forth.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
    12-17-10 10:28 PM
    www.crackberry.com/blackberry-os

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    spyguyinms likes this.
    12-17-10 11:42 PM
    For the best updated OS got to BBTweaks.com

12-18-10 04:22 PM
    I would also like to add that my 8330 was on the Alltel network and then switched to Verizon. Don't know if this makes any difference. Just got confused when reading about the 8330m and so forth.
    12-19-10 03:35 PM
    You should be able to use updates for the regular 8330 for an Alltel or Verizon branded one. I believe the M was limited to Sprint. Either way, it should say on the sticker in the battery compartment or maybe on the options/status screen. Possibly if you press alt + right caps key + h from the main screen too.

Anyway, to upgrade or downgrade your OS with a PC:

Apploader makes a backup when it runs, but you may wish to use the desktop manager software to make a separate backup anyway.

Download the OS to the PC, run the .exe file you downloaded, navigate to c:/program files/common files/research in motion/apploader

In that folder, delete the file "vendor.xml" and then run "loader.exe" to start the apploader which will update the device's OS.

The above works for upgrading as well as downgrading.
    spyguyinms likes this.
    12-20-10 12:01 AM
    Thanks guys for all the input and assistance. I am planning on tackling this task this week on some days off.

The CB forums veterans have been the most helpful that I have seen in quite some time. I belong to some private investigations groups and wish that the participants would take notes from THIS site!!
    12-20-10 02:55 AM
    OK, helpful ones! I was on the RIM website (usDOTblackberryDOTcom/apps-software/devices/#tab_tab_update) to check for updates and upon clicking the update button, i get a pop up box that reads "check for updates" followed by another box that reads "Device Connection" "Select a device to connect" followed by "PIN" with a drop down box. There is nothing to select in this drop down box, as if I am not connected to the PC. I have disconnected the BB from the PC 5 times with the same results. I also opened BB Desktop Software and it says "Connect your BlackBerry Device" as though I am not connected. Any ideas on why I may not be connected? I have used the BB Desktop Manager in the past to back up the address book, add music and photos, etc., without problems. Soooo, I D K!!!!!

NOTE---- It would not let me paste the actual link to the webpage referenced above (i'm sure ya'll can figure out where it is!) due to my post count of 3 posts to date. I guess i'm going to have to post here a few more times!!!

Thanks
    Last edited by spyguyinms; 12-20-10 at 10:54 PM.
    12-20-10 10:51 PM
    Scratch that last post..... I don't know what I did, but I got it to connect and was able to update to a newer version of 4.5.

Thanks for all the assistance.....
    12-21-10 12:30 PM
    You ever have one of those uh-oh moments?? Well, now I'm not getting any sound with my calls, emails or any notifications for that matter. When I go through Media>Ring Tones to any tone and click, the Media Player comes up along with a popup box reading "Device media processor is busy."

Any ideas on how to fix this one?? I had went through last night and reset all my notifications to where they were before.

The new OS is v4.5.0.169 (Platform 3.4.0.51) Probably should have looked to see what it was before, but I didn't.
    12-21-10 02:39 PM
    Hello, I ran into the same issue. I'm running os 5.0 on my 8330, but shouldn't matter. I had the phone in bed side mode , was playing with the alarm clock and set it for bedside mode with no led's or sound. Don't know if that is what u did, but easy to check. Hope that helps.

12-21-10 07:54 PM
    Hey Gear... It wasn't the mode that was the problem. There were no sounds whatsoever coming through. After much searching of the 8330, I still couldn't find anything. So I decided to do a battery pull. Hhhmmm.... Yepp, that fixed it! I now have my sounds back. I guess after installing the updated OS, I should have pulled the battery. That old fix-all, mostly!

Thanks everyone for your input and assistance...
    12-22-10 02:53 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD