I have had it happen twice now within the last two days, that the backberry wont response to any keys or trackball, I tend to put it into sleep mode, but even the end or sleep key on top doesn't make the phone respond. only a battery pull seams to fix it. First time i thought it was a low battery, but this last time I had it plugged into its charger. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks
    03-09-09 06:47 AM
    First, have you had it in a humid place like the bathroom?

Can you post your avilable file free memory? Options>status for that #. Thanks

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-09-09 07:38 AM
    I haven't had it in the bathroom, however couple of days ago (allmost the day before this started). I did accidentally drop it, onto wet ground not sure if that counts as humid?

as for the free memory, I have 4927197 bytes left.

anything else just let me know.

Thanks
    03-09-09 08:00 AM
    Dropping it may have caused to act a little slow. I know when I dropped my curve one time it knocked the signal stupid and it was never right after that
    03-09-09 08:08 AM
    Ok, you definitely have a low file free memory problem, as far as moisture infiltration, that may be possible, also. What did you do to dry your BB? Recommended if you got it wet is to pull the battery and place BB in a bag of dry rice to draw any moisture from the device for at least a couple of days.

As to the file free memory, a BB requires about 12MB of file free memory to function well, and you're down to 4MB.

Try this:
    How to Increase BlackBerry's File free memory

Well, I tried to post the link but for some reason it didn't take.

What applications have you downloaded, and are you closing them out properly when you leave. Meaning Menu>Close, rather than Escape or End? This will contribute much to memory loss.

Are you using any of the social networking apps like Facebook?

Last edited by BergerKing; 03-09-09 at 08:22 AM.
    03-09-09 08:15 AM
    To dry the phone off, I just wiped it off on my pants/shirt. It was in one of the silicone skins, and landed on the back, didn't look like the actual phone got wet.

I do normally hit the escape to end the program because it doesn't show up on the "switch application" screen. I thought escape key (depending on the program) would close the program?
    Is there more of a program your looking for that you think might be causing the low memory, I have to many installed to list, hehe. I do have weatherbug, which we have had tons of warnings and watchs the last couple of days, think that could have caused this?
    03-09-09 09:17 AM
    If you are running a large amount of apps, this could be the cause of many of your problems, determining which of them are may be an interesting exercise.

With the skin you're probably ok, as long as no water infiltrated around the openings, it can be sneaky that way. All it may take is a drop or two, and then, d'oh!

Do you keep a lot of messages on your BB, I forgot to ask that question. And do you have a media card for pics and ringers?

Your 8310 only has 64MB of memory to start with, and a lot of it is taken up by the" Original
    Equipment" applications that were already loaded when you got your BB.

As to weatherbug, to be honest, I've never used it, I use The Weather Channel free app, and receive e-mail alerts on it, and I don't archive any messages on my Curve. If I save any history, I forward it to an e-mail account not pushed to my BB, that way I can access and manage it and not use on-board memory.

03-09-09 10:14 AM
    Well thinking about messages, I have had the phone since december and never cleared out a single messages. So I will clear that up and see if that helps any.

I do have a 8gb card installed, any way to have the messages be saved on there instead

03-09-09 02:13 PM
    Well thinking about messages, I have had the phone since december and never cleared out a single messages. So I will clear that up and see if that helps any.

I do have a 8gb card installed, any way to have the messages be saved on there instead

You remove all your texts/email and your file free memory problem will resolve. 3+ months of messages saved, its surprising you are not at 0 and having random reboots. After you delete the texts leave the phone on and yank the battery and when you boot back up see what it says. Should jump considerably.

No you cannot save the texts to the card by default
    03-09-09 02:17 PM
    Here are some other things to try.....

1. Delete all texts or unneeded texts and emails. People who save hundreds of texts will eventually have memory related issues.

2. Make sure you close all apps properly (menu>close) as well as move all media (ringtones, pictures, video etc) to a media card - if you dont have a media card its a good idea to get one to keep the pictures, ringtones off the device memory.

3. Clear your browser cache (browser>options>cache operations) as well as the event log........On your keypad hold down the alt key and type lglg and clear the event log (ignore the warning).

4. If you have too many themes or applications maybe cut down on a few you dont use. Facebook would be the first place I would go for an app that needed to be deleted.

Basic housecleaning is all you need to avoid this issue in the future....

Keep an eye on what applications are running hold alt & hit esc (button right of the trackball) it will show you 5. (phone, messages, bbm, home screen, browser) anything else in there is running and you should look into it.. After you complete many of these if not all - pull the battery with the phone on, wait 30 seconds, replace, when you boot back up check your new file free memory size.

This thread below will help you if you want to do even more memory optimization.

This is the link BergerKing wanted you to look at. Its quite useful

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...-memory-34633/
    03-09-09 02:21 PM
    Thanks for stepping in on that Trem, I dozed off for a few winks and then had to get up and run for a while.

I have been having a problem posting links, perhaps a problem doing so from the mobile site?

03-09-09 05:34 PM
    well, i deleted my old sms and mms messages (leaving the email messages alone, since i don't want them to be deleted off of the servers).
    before the delete: 4927197
    after the delete: 9817742!!
    I think I am going to change the option to only save for 15/30 days.

I went through and deleted some useless programs and games
    after the delete: 11473226

after clearing the cache and the event log 11676670. So I should be in good shape for a while right?

Thanks for all the help.
    03-09-09 06:23 PM
    No worries BK

Shadow: under 12mb you can have issues. If you follow the link above you can get it much higher. Not sure what all you have installed but 11mb is quite low. I have the same phone and run in the 30's
    03-09-09 07:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD