Okay, so here's the situation - I currently have an iPhone 3G. I was waiting for the Bold to drop, but seeing as it keeps getting delayed, I'm tired of waiting and really don't even want it anymore, this is crap.

I have a guy willing to give me a BB Curve 8320 titanium unlocked/unbranded plus $650 cash for my 16GB iPhone 3G.

It's a great deal and I'd really like to take it, but here's my questions:

Will this Curve run okay on AT&T? I want to be able to have PIN and what-not. I will call AT&T and drop the iPhone data and add the BB personal, but I want to make absolutely sure that I will have full pin functionality. I just wasn't sure.

What about MMS etc as this phone isn't "made for AT&T"?

Now with the 8320 being dropped on AT&T in October or so, will I be able to get service books for the 8320 at that point considering it's essentially the same phone, just a different color?

I just want to make sure I'm going to get FULL functionality out of this phone and not have a half functional BB.

He said it's not even opened and the plastic wrap is still on it. He's going to send me pics when he gets home from work. I tend to believe him because at first he offered me the cash and I said I wasn't really sure if I wanted to sell it just yet as it would leave me phoneless until the Bold comes out, and he offered to let me borrow his Curve until then, but then he said if I'd do it, I could just keep the Curve if it was a dealbreaker.

Either way - is there anything I can do to make sure the PIN is released and will work for me when I add a BB data plan?
    09-18-08 01:00 PM
    Also, considering it's not even opened and if it really is unbranded, unlocked - the guy shouldn't have to have any PIN released, correct?
    09-18-08 01:23 PM
    FYI, AT&T is rumored to be getting the 8320 on Oct 21.
    09-18-08 01:26 PM
    FYI, AT&T is rumored to be getting the 8320 on Oct 21.
    I'm aware of that, as I posted something about it in my original post (about getting the service books for the 8320 on AT&T when they release the 8320). But why would I pay for one if I can get one plus 650?

I just want to know the answers to these questions before I decide.

Seriously, no one knows any of this??!
    09-18-08 01:33 PM
    Everything should work just fine if it is in fact unlocked. If the box was never opened, there should be no issue with the PIN needing to be released.

For MMS and SMS you'll also need a messaging plan along with the data plan. I'm not sure what the BB Personal plan includes.

The only way I can see it not working would be if the phone was stolen and the IMEI was blocked.

Put your SIM card in it before taking the deal, just to be sure the phone works. If it connects to the network and you can make a call, you should be good.
    09-18-08 01:42 PM
    Everything should work just fine if it is in fact unlocked. If the box was never opened, there should be no issue with the PIN needing to be released.

For MMS and SMS you'll also need a messaging plan along with the data plan. I'm not sure what the BB Personal plan includes.

The only way I can see it not working would be if the phone was stolen and the IMEI was blocked.

Put your SIM card in it before taking the deal, just to be sure the phone works. If it connects to the network and you can make a call, you should be good.
    Sounds like a plan. I was going to call in front of him and take of the iPhone data and add the BB and as AT&T will ask for the IMEI, if they can add it, then that means it's clear obviously.

He said he got it as a gift and just never opened it. He said there is no carrier logo on the box, just said 8320 wifi titanium world phone. Has anyone else purchased like this? I don't even know where you'd GET it like that, lol

Anyways - I know about the SMS/MMS - I already have unlimited text on AT&T so that isn't an issue, I just wanted to make sure MMS would work as I know some say it doesn't but I guess that's pretty specific to Sprint and other carriers that don't have it provisioned
    09-18-08 01:53 PM
    Sounds like you got a really sweet deal. Good luck with it!
    09-18-08 02:15 PM
    Sounds like you got a really sweet deal. Good luck with it!
    Hopefully the pics are legit. he is at work right now, but if they are, good to go. i'll post when i find out for sure.

and i have a $25 promotion card from AT&T, so I think I'm going to get either an extra battery or some cases.
    09-18-08 02:16 PM
    Where's the jealousy smilie...
    09-18-08 02:19 PM
    Where's the jealousy smilie...
    haha if this guy is for real, otherwise, for me
    09-18-08 02:27 PM
    $650 cash PLUS an unlocked, unbranded 8320?! nobody else thinks this deal is a little too good to be true??
    09-18-08 04:17 PM
    $650 cash PLUS an unlocked, unbranded 8320?! nobody else thinks this deal is a little too good to be true??
    thats what i was thinking.... i'd bring sharp objects... but im crazy like that...
    09-18-08 04:22 PM
    Simple answer : Yes, everything will work as expected

PIN will be fine. BBM and email will be fine. Internet will work fine. The whole kit and caboodle
    09-18-08 04:25 PM
    will you give meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee an unlocked/unbranded 8320 plus $650 too?
    09-18-08 04:26 PM
    Well the deal was definitely for real, but it didn't go through. He has T-mobile and thought my iphone 3G was unlocked. As far as I know there is no possible way to unlock the iPhone 3G as of yet. I guess w/ a turbo SIM people are , but I'm not going through that whole hassle. That sucks.

I put in the ad on CL "This phone has been activated already, so you don't have to reactivate it and sign a contract, but it IS LOCKED TO AT&T"

Apparently people don't read anymore.
    09-18-08 05:00 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD