I have searched various posts here and elsewhere on the web and I'm still confused. I am not a BB user but I tried to purchase a BB Curve 8330 from Appalachian Wireless while I still have 10 months left on a two year contract. The phone purchase would be $199 and I would have to pay $100 to get out of my current contract only to be back into another 2 year commitment.

A technician from Appalachian Wireless told me that I could buy a phone elsewhere and use it so long as it "is CDMA, unlocked and on our current lineup."

I've found many BB 8330s online (Verizon, Sprint, Alltel) that I know are CDMA. My question is, can they be unlocked (or flashed) to work on Appalachian Wireless? Are some better than others?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
    09-03-09 08:47 PM
    I believe that they don't need to be unlocked just need your carrier to be willing to activate the phone. If you are looking at ebay or craigs list get the esn number and contact your carrier and have them verify that they will activaye that phone...
    09-03-09 09:19 PM
    They need the SPC code to program it. And it is a VZW phone it should be ##000000 then press send if you get into the NAM program screen your all good. But you will also need VZW to release the BB's PIN you will hav to call them for that.
    09-04-09 09:19 AM
    HouseApe
    Is if difficult to get Verizon or Alltel to release the PIN? Is this the same as the ESN?

Thanks.
    09-04-09 07:53 PM
    before you buy ask for the esn (usually provided up front) and call your carrier to see if it is clear to activate it on their network.

If the previous owner did not delete there email from BIS you can ask your carrier to clear that too.

Your pin is used in BBM, syncing and maybe BIS but I believe BIS uses your esn.. not sure
    09-04-09 09:49 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD