Newbie in crackberry land here =)

I've searched this forum and googled my question without an absolute definitive answer so I'm hoping someone can give me an answer on this.

I am currently a T-Mobile customer and am at this point ready to switch to ATT due to coverage and UMA problems. I have found I don't really use my unlimited BB data plan on T-Mobile and have wifi set up at my office and at home. I want to switch my unlocked 8320 over to ATT voice (no data package) and use the wifi for any data services. I don't need email push so that isn't a problem. What I have been hearing from my research is that my unlocked 8320 will work fine at ATT and wifi should be fine too. However, it seems like some of my research has indicated that ATT won't differentiate data usage on their network and on wifi, thus charging you data fees for using your own wifi. Is this the case or is using your own wifi completely free?

Thanks in advance for any help!
    02-21-08 03:23 PM
    You can use Wi-Fi for a lot of applications without using ATT data. In order to ensure you don't get charged for any data that may only come OTA (not Wi-Fi), call ATT CS and have them turn off the "Pay per use" internet option.

That way you will only use your Wi-Fi, and there is no way ATT can charge you for that. Be aware that several common applications (ie. GMail application) use OTA information to load and can't be used on a Wi-Fi-only connection. This particular one is easily solved by pointing your browser to m.google.com and adding gmail.

Oh, and an unlocked 8320 will work fine on ATT.

-Eric
    02-21-08 03:53 PM
    Thank you Eric!

Just curious, what applications do work on ATT wifi w/o the data package? And I assume I would have to use to the Opera browser instead of the blackberry one? Sorry, one more question, I would have to access GMAIL via the internet browser as opposed to the GMAIL app? Thanks again!

David
    02-21-08 04:18 PM
    Both the Gmail app and gmail maps should work over wifi. Opera Mini however won't. You will have to use the BB browser and set it to wifi mode.
    02-21-08 04:39 PM
    Thanks! Actually I pulled my GF's ATT SIM card out to try on my BB (don't know why I didn't think of that) but seems all I could get to work was the BB Browser, am I doing any wrong or basically GMAIL APP, GMaps, AIM and GTALK don't work? DW
    02-22-08 12:03 PM
    Make sure that you go to Options > Advanced Options > Browser, and set the default browser to wifi.

Aim and Gtalk won't work over wifi. I'm starting to wonder if I was wrong about Gmail and Gmaps working over wifi. Here's my thought is I've seen one other thread where someone who didn't have a data plan, just wanted to use wifi, but couldnt get either of those apps to work. However, on my phone when i turn off the mobile network so that I am only using wifi, both those apps work, but I also have a data plan... What I'm wondering is if it still some how relies on the phone being provisions for data usage.
    02-22-08 12:09 PM
    Make sure that you go to Options > Advanced Options > Browser, and set the default browser to wifi.

Aim and Gtalk won't work over wifi. I'm starting to wonder if I was wrong about Gmail and Gmaps working over wifi. Here's my thought is I've seen one other thread where someone who didn't have a data plan, just wanted to use wifi, but couldnt get either of those apps to work. However, on my phone when i turn off the mobile network so that I am only using wifi, both those apps work, but I also have a data plan... What I'm wondering is if it still some how relies on the phone being provisions for data usage.
    Ya, that would seem logical...as it is, I think I'm just gonna gut out T-mobile for a little while, at least until the 3G Iphones come out =) Thanks for the help!
    02-22-08 12:13 PM
    Wish I could have been more help. It would also be good to get to the bottom of this now that I honestly don't know if those apps truly work over wifi. I have no way of testing since I do have a data plan.
    02-22-08 12:18 PM
    Gmail app and google maps do not work for me over WiFi...i have no data plan as well.

Could be something with t-mo phone over Att...but I doubt it.

And whoever was asking, go to the iGoogle mobile homepage.....it displays your inbox when you go to the google homepage and I can watch my email very easily...

Eric
    02-22-08 12:19 PM
    02-22-08 12:38 PM
    Dang, I know this forum is old, but I just got me a BB 8900 and dont have the Data package either. Im using ATT and am not able to reply to GMAILs using WIFI (using the browser and the app -- app that cant run at all). Was there ever a fix?
    03-27-09 03:16 AM
    Dang, I know this forum is old, but I just got me a BB 8900 and dont have the Data package either. Im using ATT and am not able to reply to GMAILs using WIFI (using the browser and the app -- app that cant run at all). Was there ever a fix?
    make sure u go to advanced options and tcp and remove all the information from the apn setting
    04-04-09 08:53 PM
    make sure u go to advanced options and tcp and remove all the information from the apn setting
    OMG, Thank you so much. I gave it a try just now and it sent an email right away! You have no clue how many times Ive asked that question in several threads and no one has been able to give me that info.

Ill be testing it out for sure, within the next day or two and hope that now I can use my browser to send emails too!

Should I install the gmail app? What diff does that make vs the oem browser?
    04-04-09 11:37 PM
    i've had a little experience with setting up a curve on att because i sold my unlocked 8320 to my friend when i upgraded to the 8900. the only issue we couldnt fix was that the wifi icon would always remain dim, although wifi worked just fine. do you have that same issue?
    Last edited by nastyboy2; 04-04-09 at 11:59 PM.
    04-04-09 11:56 PM
    OMG, Thank you so much. I gave it a try just now and it sent an email right away! You have no clue how many times Ive asked that question in several threads and no one has been able to give me that info.

Ill be testing it out for sure, within the next day or two and hope that now I can use my browser to send emails too!

Should I install the gmail app? What diff does that make vs the oem browser?
    first you'd have to verify if the gmail app can be set to use wifi only. if not, you may get charged for data use. i read in one thread that you can call and have att turn off the pay per use data feature, so that you cant be charged.
    04-05-09 12:16 AM
    yes I do. I was confused over it for several days but then I assumed that it wasnt glowing because I dont have the data package. I wonder if theres a way to make it light up.
    04-05-09 12:28 AM
    ahh dang serious? Gmail app uses EDGE? I just downloaded it and was using it for like 5 mins just now.
    04-05-09 12:30 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD