I have been a Sprint Blackberry 8330 user for over a year, and this situation has occurred on at least 5 occasions (most recently yesterday).

In summary, my SMS messages (those that I have recently sent or received) and my call logs are deleted randomly during these times. Usually (though not always), during this occurrence the Curve runs really slow and an hourglass/white screen appears frequently. The texts and call logs get deleted more than once every time (that is, a couple times over a day). Of note, my SMS texts that I manually label with "save" never get deleted when this occurs.

I know most would say this is a memory problem, but the free memory of the device does not drop below 20 MB (even before this occurs), so I do not think it is a pure memory problem (though I could be mistaken). My texts are set to delete 15 days. My media memory is 12 MB. I've deleted all the unused languages and basically done the standard set of instructions from a link that's being floated on blackberry forums.

I am not sure what is triggering the device to automatically delete messages and call logs. I surely would like to know, since I am getting close to my wits end with this. Of note, I am a pretty heavy Opera Mini user and I have installed epocrates and google apps on my device. Is there a way to limit Opera memory or cache? Could that be causing it?

How frequently should I do a battery pull to prevent this from happening? People on this and other forums say this helps.

Is there anything I can do if I use the Blackberry Desktop manager?

Really any advice or instructions would be appreciative.

Thanks.
    07-23-09 03:19 PM
    I have been a Sprint Blackberry 8330 user for over a year, and this situation has occurred on at least 5 occasions (most recently yesterday).

In summary, my SMS messages (those that I have recently sent or received) and my call logs are deleted randomly during these times. Usually (though not always), during this occurrence the Curve runs really slow and an hourglass/white screen appears frequently. The texts and call logs get deleted more than once every time (that is, a couple times over a day). Of note, my SMS texts that I manually label with "save" never get deleted when this occurs.

I know most would say this is a memory problem, but the free memory of the device does not drop below 20 MB (even before this occurs), so I do not think it is a pure memory problem (though I could be mistaken). My texts are set to delete 15 days. My media memory is 12 MB. I've deleted all the unused languages and basically done the standard set of instructions from a link that's being floated on blackberry forums.

I am not sure what is triggering the device to automatically delete messages and call logs. I surely would like to know, since I am getting close to my wits end with this. Of note, I am a pretty heavy Opera Mini user and I have installed epocrates and google apps on my device. Is there a way to limit Opera memory or cache? Could that be causing it?

How frequently should I do a battery pull to prevent this from happening? People on this and other forums say this helps.

Is there anything I can do if I use the Blackberry Desktop manager?

Really any advice or instructions would be appreciative.

Thanks.
    You should get the app quickpull. You can set it to a time everyday to reset your device without touching it. This helps with cleaning memory and helps with speed also. I had this problem once before and now I am cautious about how many messages I keep in my phone. I have not had experience with opera memory but I hope what I had about helps you out some.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-23-09 03:37 PM
    Thanks. I'll go look at Quickpull. Is there a link for an OTA download?

I also would like to know about my Opera memory. Is there a way to limit the history, cache, etc. I know the BB Browser has such settings (or at least you can erase when needed), but I cannot find it for the Opera browser.

In addition, in my application listing, I still have links for Yahoo Go and Facebook, both programs were uninstalled from the application settings. How do I remove their listing from the list of icons?
    07-24-09 12:28 PM
    Thanks. I'll go look at Quickpull. Is there a link for an OTA download?

I also would like to know about my Opera memory. Is there a way to limit the history, cache, etc. I know the BB Browser has such settings (or at least you can erase when needed), but I cannot find it for the Opera browser.

In addition, in my application listing, I still have links for Yahoo Go and Facebook, both programs were uninstalled from the application settings. How do I remove their listing from the list of icons?
    In Opera go to Menu, Settings, and at the bottom it allows you to delete the cookies. As far a the icons, you're service provider sends them in the service books, and I don't believe you can delete them. I may be wrong though, but I haven't be able to.

07-24-09 12:40 PM
    YahooGo and Facebook are service books that are pushed by your carrier. Even if you did delete them, they would come back the next time you rebooted your phone. They don't take up any memory unless you have them active with an account.

In Opera, press Menu and go to Settings. At the very bottom, you'll have an option to Clear Cookies. There is no way to set the app to this on it's own.

Look into using CrackMem. It will help you delete extra features that you weren't able to using the 'How to Increase File Free" guide (guessing that's what you were talking about).

Here's the direct OTA download for QuickPull: http://go.mobihand.com/?op=dlmh&pd=22989&l=1&ps=102

As stated before, battery pulls should normally be performed everyday (though not required), since the models prior to the Bold, Storm, 8900 and Tour have less overall File Total which minimizes what's available in File Free.

07-24-09 12:43 PM
    Okay thanks. I also heard that one should delete the event log daily (alt + LGLG). Is there a way for the phone to do this automatically?

I have searched online and there is a "memory leak" issue with prior versions of the Blackberry OS, particularly when using the application switcher. I have version 4.5.027, is this still an issue and how do I prevent this?

Thanks.
    07-24-09 01:47 PM
    I am no BB expert, but I had that 'slow/delete' issue, and my BB was replaced. My MMS is set to never delete, and I have stuff going back to April. Email is similar. Not meant to help....just an FYI
    07-24-09 02:46 PM
    Sounds like a "file free" issue.
    How much memory are you showing free on average?
    07-24-09 03:33 PM
    My memory free is usually around 20MB. It never dips below 15MB.
    This is obviously not counting the free memory on the card, which is irrelevant for this issue.
    07-24-09 08:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD