I'm new to Blackberry. I'm unable to open any document-type attachments, ie. Word or Excel. If I receive an attachment such as Word or Excel, I do not receive the 'open attachment' option. Most of the time they show up as winmail.dat files. I can open image files but that's it. I'm using BIS to access my pop account (not gmail or yahoo).
    It was my understanding that I would have the ability to view these files.

Please help.

Thanks
    MB
    01-03-08 09:18 AM
    You apparently don't have your Attachment Services loaded.

Check at Options > Advanced >
    Applications. Do you see BlackBerry Attachment Service located there?
    You should. If not, make sure your current handheld OS is loaded to your PC, (downloaded from your ATT website to match the version number on your handheld at Options > About). Run Application Loader and make sure Attachment Service is checked to load.

Otherwise, alternatively, (FREE trial), use BeamBerry... point your BB browser to BeamBerry - View, Print, Store BlackBerry e-mail attachments
    01-03-08 09:35 AM
    Thanks for the quick response. I verified that the Attachment Service is loaded. I just tried deleting and resending the Service Book. I'll see if that makes a difference.
    01-03-08 09:41 AM
    Good on the Service books... try a battery pull reboot as well (with the device powered ON). Try downloading an attachment again.

Question: I have several computers in my office and often when sent a PDF or doc file from certain users, I will get the attachment only as a winmail.dat file. The best I have determined, it is some odd encoding from that computer, one of which is a Mac.
    01-03-08 09:47 AM
    Thanks. If the service book doesn't work I'll try the battery pull reboot.

RE: encoding, I was wondering the same thing. Could it be an Outlook 2007 issue?
    01-03-08 09:50 AM
    PS - since I reinstalled the serivice book, no emails are coming in. Is there a grace period of 20 minutes or so?
    01-03-08 09:51 AM
    OK, emails are coming in. I can open some of the Word attachments but not all. When I send a test message from my computer, the Word files can't be opened. They come in as winmail.dat. Strange! Any thoughts?
    01-03-08 10:07 AM
    I'm beginning to think that it's an issue with Outlook 2007 or Vista. When folks send me an email using XP or an older version of Outlook, the attachments come through fine.

thoughts?
    01-03-08 10:39 AM
    Hey all,

Looks like there's an issue with Office 2007.

We are running BES 4.06 and while we can read a word attachment that was saved from Word 2003, we are unable to read attachments from Word 2007, even though we still saved them as a .doc NOT .docx

It also can be an issue with BES 4.06, since 4.1.x exists as well, but we dont have a license for it.

Can anyone else confirm this?

Thanks
    Last edited by Kamika007z; 02-28-08 at 04:46 PM.
    02-28-08 04:31 PM
    Try Dochawk, great service
    02-28-08 05:49 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD