Has anyone experienced this problem. I go to edit the contact and get a message stating

"Address updated externally. Changes will be lost and the viewer closed."

I can only access the edit feature when in the list of contacts. Can't access the edit option with the contact open.

When I try to delete the contact it won't go away. Now I have two address book listings for the same contact. Annoying as heck.

Edit: I've done a battery pull and that doesn't help.
    Last edited by ERDude; 04-28-09 at 01:19 AM.
    04-28-09 01:17 AM
    can you delete/edit the contact from where you are syncing? i.e. outlook

by the way, my dad used to live in dana point, and he used to sail out of there
    04-28-09 01:19 AM
    Funny thing is when I went to my contact manager on the computer the contact wasn't there. That's why I have two entries on the BB now.
    Last edited by ERDude; 04-28-09 at 01:26 AM.
    04-28-09 01:23 AM
    did you try re-syncing to see if you can see it then? sync from bb to pc, i mean.
    04-28-09 01:27 AM
    yep did all that. really don't want to wipe the darned thing. it's really not worth wiping it for a duplicate entry.
    04-28-09 01:28 AM
    yeah, me either, but i bet if it stays like that, eventually you will.. i would im ocd like that though..

maybe someone else has an idea for ya..
    04-28-09 01:31 AM
    Yeah I probably will, then again if Sprint surprises us with a new BB I'll get that before then.

PS - Thanks for the help
    04-28-09 01:35 AM
    you and me both
    no problem.. im not sure how much help i was
    04-28-09 01:37 AM
    Finally had to break down and request a replacement Curve from Sprint. The problem started multiplying, now half my contacts are affected.

According to Sprint there's a corruption in the phone. My replacement should be here in a day or two.
    05-14-09 01:58 PM
    I've encountered this problem with my girlfriend's 8520/4.6.1.290. I sent her my mom's contact via BBM and she added it to her address book. Once she realized that she has two contacts named "Mom" in her address book she tried to delete the contact I had sent her and it wouldn't let her do so. She also can't edit the entry and each time she does she gets the "Address updated externally. Changes will be lost and the viewer closed" message. Battery pulls haven't solved the issue, as mentioned above. Contact aren't sync'd with any software so everything is edited on the phone itself.

Any ideas?
    02-26-11 06:51 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD