I've been using UMA all day and my battery seems to be lasting forever.

So here is the question.

Does using GSM use more battery or does UMA with the GSM radio shut off use more battery?

I'm running a T-Mobile BlackBerry Curve 8320 with 4.5.0.44 BETA OS.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-24-08 03:35 PM
    No idea. Why don't you experiment and let us know? I use wifi AND gsm all day and my battery is about 45% at the end of the day....not bad. With wifi switched off its about 80%. But I dont know what the battery power is like vice-versa.
    06-24-08 03:37 PM
    whoa your guys' batteries are good, mine is dead at the end of the day.
    06-24-08 03:39 PM
    I should add that I dont live on my phone
    06-24-08 03:40 PM
    UMA eats up a buncha battery on every 4.5 I've used. 4.2.2 had been pretty good about battery longevity though.

Still, use it. You can't be far from a charger that long.

06-24-08 03:41 PM
    well i havent been fully charging it lately.

but i use about 30,000 txts a month and alot of internet and email. some camera/video. some music. so my battery doesnt really have a snowballs chance in **** but i might perform a few tests.

one day i'll use gsm/gprs all day.
    the next i'll use wifi preferred connection.

any other ideas i should try?
    06-24-08 03:46 PM
    So you use about 1,000 text a day?
    06-24-08 03:48 PM
    Be aware that your backlight and stuff takes up a lot of battery...considering your usage stats, I would make sure to keep the same level of usage on both days so as to keep the experimental paramaters identical. That'll give you a balanced result. Otherwise your results will be skewed.
    06-24-08 03:49 PM
    i know it seems crazy but yes, i do use 1,000 texts a day on average.

my highest is 67,000 in a month or 2233.33/day

that was bad. i didnt even have a smartphone then!!
    06-24-08 03:51 PM
    i know it seems crazy but yes, i do use 1,000 texts a day on average.

my highest is 67,000 in a month or 2233.33/day

that was bad. i didnt even have a smartphone then!!
    Please tell me you send each text to multiple recipients!
    06-24-08 03:59 PM
    Lol, it does sound crazy, but yea, the most I've ever done is 400 in 3 hours. (I only get 400 a month so I had to stop!)

EDIT: That was on a Samsung flip using T9.
    06-24-08 04:02 PM
    iv eonly got 1,000 a month, so ya, ive gotta keep it in check. doesn't matter much because i dont text alot. but what i do is constantly surf the net. maybe that takes up a lot of battery, cuz my bb barely lasts a day.

but tell us how it went, itll be useful information.
    Last edited by curveoncracke; 06-25-08 at 02:10 PM.
    06-24-08 04:10 PM
    it's been an hour and a half on day one.

i'm using the providers network. i've used about 790kb of internet and probably 300 texts. and i used viigo alot. battery is still at 95%
    06-25-08 10:07 AM
    I've been using UMA all day and my battery seems to be lasting forever.

So here is the question.

Does using GSM use more battery or does UMA with the GSM radio shut off use more battery?

I'm running a T-Mobile BlackBerry Curve 8320 with 4.5.0.44 BETA OS.

Also running the Curve 8320 on OS 4.5.44

Yesterday I came to notice that the battery management seems improved in the OS 4.5... but I was not quite sure, it just seemed as if I had more charge at the end of the day. I am not really concerned and do not care to experiment and find out, but I thought it was interesting.

As for the battery in general. When you have the WiFi enabled, it will eat up more battery. Specifically, if you have WiFi enabled and are not in range of WiFi... this eats up the most battery because your device will continually be scanning for networks in the background.

To obtain the best battery, turn off WiFi when going out of range of known WiFi hotspots that you use. In general, when I leave my house, work, etc. I turn off the WiFi radio and use the mobile network (EDGE). If I want to see if there is WiFi available, I can always turn it on and do a quick scan!

Also, I have noticed that when you are running with low signal strength on the mobile network, your battery is drained quicker because the Berry is fighting to find an EDGE connection and stay connected.

Overall, to conserve battery the best option is to turn off WiFi when not in use. UMA does not specifically run down the battery unless it is continually searching, etc. If you are going to stay put in a WiFi hotspot it is best to shut off the mobile network and make calls solely through UMA. This saves battery life because both radios are not running and attempting to keep connection, etc. The "WiFi" preferred setting also uses battery life because it needs to keep both WiFi and EDGE connections active, and in case one is not available... it uses the other (makes sense).

I basically take all of this with a grain of salt. The little battery you conserve doing these things makes little difference overall. Enjoy your berry and do whatev you want

And Golden... you are insane!! I could never imagine texting that much!! I want you to find out how many per second that is... haha.

And, either your friends are insane and text that much as well. Or, they hate you for texting them so D@MN much!! haha crazy! Do your fingers ever get sore? Do you do anything but text? And do you have a job?! haha
    06-25-08 10:19 AM
    thats too hard to calculate.

i'm not good with numbers. hahahah.

but yes i do have a job and a life. aside from texting. but if tmobile paid me .20 for every text i used, i'd be loaded.

aaand...

yesterday when i started the thread i had uma on and wifi off. i usually dont use wifi unless i want to lead a big webpage, or download something, or surf alot. so its usually off.
    06-25-08 10:28 AM
    thats too hard to calculate.

i'm not good with numbers. hahahah.

but yes i do have a job and a life. aside from texting. but if tmobile paid me .20 for every text i used, i'd be loaded.

aaand...

yesterday when i started the thread i had uma on and wifi off. i usually dont use wifi unless i want to lead a big webpage, or download something, or surf alot. so its usually off.
    Yeah... well I don't see how you hold down a job, a life and a texting habit that bad! haha

Your boss is probable getting ticked!! ha

And your friends could possibly hate you! How do they even keep up with you?!
    06-25-08 10:32 AM
    ehh its not all that hard to do.

czech this out.

Upoc
    06-25-08 10:34 AM
    ehh its not all that hard to do.

czech this out.

Upoc
    Links is invalid??
    06-25-08 10:44 AM
    hmm... works fine for me....

try this: Upoc
    06-25-08 11:57 AM
    So I'm just about at the end of day one. All network all the way. My battery is at 10% and I've been using a lot of text, data, and music. I've used the camera very little and I used a little (about 1.5hr) of voice. In my opinion, for how much I've used my BlackBerry, the battery is holding up very well.

06-25-08 10:07 PM
    So I'm just about at the end of day one. All network all the way. My battery is at 10% and I've been using a lot of text, data, and music. I've used the camera very little and I used a little (about 1.5hr) of voice. In my opinion, for how much I've used my BlackBerry, the battery is holding up very well.

That's definitely impressive. Also, you are a freak for texting so much.
    06-25-08 10:16 PM
    Haha yes I get that a lot.

As a matter of fact, right before I posted that, I sent my longest message ever. Just shy of a full 6 pages of 160 characters a piece. And by just shy I mean like 50 characters short. :P

06-25-08 10:18 PM
    lol, as much as you text, it puts me at ease. I was planning on texting A LOT when I get unlimited and I was wondering if T-Mo has a unspoken number before they will cut you off
    06-25-08 10:23 PM
    Actually, they do. Unlimited text with t-mobile usa is 99,999/mo. And I've had unlimited since I've had a phone. And never have I used less than 1,000 texts. Even when I had my phone taken away for 3 wks. Ahhaha

06-25-08 10:25 PM
    That's crazy. I love texting, and not just SMS. I HATE talking on the phone. If I could communicate to everyone that I'm not in the same room as via text, that would be great.
    06-25-08 10:27 PM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD