Okay so Rogers has no rolled out UMA. I do have a couple of questions.

First - I have an unlocked BB 8320 from T-mo

1. If I don't sign up for UMA can I still use it?

2. If I do sign up for it - outside of using Roger's own "router", is there any software that has to be installed on so your router/PC so that UMA actually works in your own wifi network?

I've searched around for this but no real answer.
    05-07-08 12:36 PM
    Okay so Rogers has no rolled out UMA. I do have a couple of questions.

First - I have an unlocked BB 8320 from T-mo

1. If I don't sign up for UMA can I still use it?

2. If I do sign up for it - outside of using Roger's own "router", is there any software that has to be installed on so your router/PC so that UMA actually works in your own wifi network?

I've searched around for this but no real answer.
    I'm not sure if the UMA coding is programmed into the phone or via the SIM card, so using it for calling may or may not be possible over the WiFi.

Your second question is a little easier to answer. It doesn't matter what router you have to be able to use the UMA. And you should be able to use it at any WiFi hotspot you have access to. You may have to log in with a user name and password through the browser depending on the hot spot or just go through a simple authentication screen. The trick to using it a hotspot like that is to turn off the mobile network but leaving the WiFi on only. Then use the browser to get access to the hotspot. Once the UMA pops in you can then turn the mobile network back on.

Hope that helps.
    05-09-08 02:20 PM
    I looked forward to Rogers announcement with a lot of anticipation. I had assumed they would follow T-Mobiles implementation model and we could join the big boys with full featured devices.

Wrong.... Rogers has activated a UMA server, but they are only making it available to a couple dumb phones. It is further crippled because it will only work with a single router, if that information is correct.

No BIS. No UMA data. No UMA Browsing.

Unlimited Voice over UMA is all they offer.

Perhaps in a few more months, they will tweak it a little and offer a BlackBerry plan, but I am not holding my breath.
    05-09-08 03:20 PM
    Yea , I m disappointed too.

Plus, I was expecting UMA as a big thing for Rogers, but surprisingly Rogers didn�t advertise it as they should have. Like seriously, I went to one of their store and the brochures about this news service were still pack behind his desk� very sad

These plans they have could be very good if you have your own business at home or if you always have access to a wireless hot spot at work. Otherwise, not a good deal, I rather my five.

And yeah, very sad the wireless nokia phone they proposed for the launch of this service! At lease the pearl came to save the deal.
    05-09-08 03:50 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD