Okay, something is wrong with my 8330 Curve (Sprint).

It wont scroll to the right! It will do up, down, and left...with left being a little 'sticky'. I had an extra brand new trackball, so I tried that...still sticky. Ive done a google search for help with not much luck.

Anyone have ideas? I'd really like to avoid having to replace the phone if at all possible...but its basically unusable!
    01-30-10 01:50 PM
    Have you rebooted? With the phone on, remove the battery and leave it out for a few seconds, then put it back. If that plus a new trackball doesn't fix it, I don't know anything else to suggest.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-30-10 01:54 PM
    try cleaning the slot it fits in....carefully...and like Jeff said do a batt pull...
    01-30-10 01:57 PM
    try cleaning the slot it fits in....carefully...and like Jeff said do a batt pull...
    Cleaning with? Qtip with a dab of alcohol? I cleaned it with canned air, but it still isn't working.

UGHHHH.
    01-30-10 02:01 PM
    Cleaning with? Qtip with a dab of alcohol? I cleaned it with canned air, but it still isn't working.

UGHHHH.
    q-tip and alcohol...not alot tho..how old is your berry??
    01-30-10 02:05 PM
    q-tip and alcohol...not alot tho..how old is your berry??
    I got it Jan of 2009.

I think I've discovered it might be the trackball. I accidently put it in upside down, and now it wont scroll the opposite direction as before. So...I've got to figure out what is going on.
    01-30-10 02:20 PM
    I had a problem with my trackball last week. It wouldn't scroll down at all. I used a q-tip and alcohol to clean it. I also used a paper towel to blot the q-tip so I didn't get it too wet.
    01-30-10 02:59 PM
    Did it work? Just wondering if the qtip worked for you or did you have to replace it?
    01-30-10 03:28 PM
    I had a problem with my trackball last week. It wouldn't scroll down at all. I used a q-tip and alcohol to clean it. I also used a paper towel to blot the q-tip so I didn't get it too wet.
    did it work???
    01-30-10 03:30 PM
    did it work???
    Heh. I guess I should have said a little more. I made sure when cleaning the trackball that it was scrolling down.

Now, it works fine.
    01-30-10 03:50 PM
    Heh. I guess I should have said a little more. I made sure when cleaning the trackball that it was scrolling down.

Now, it works fine.
    hopefully the new crackberry kids see this and try it out...
    01-30-10 03:52 PM
    Glad to hear that you got it cleaned and working! Cheers!
    01-30-10 04:02 PM
    Mine stopped scrolling to the right. I would take the little ball assy out and clean it with rubbing alcohol, and it would work for a day or so. The last time it stuck, I took the little assy out and soaked it in rubbing alcohol in a small glass. (I have new trackballs on hand, but I would have to get up to get one, so I tried this first). When I woke up it was still soaking. I blew it off (by mouth, just don't spit at it), it works like new. It must have de-gummed something in the mechanism. Dunno. Works good. And all without getting out of the chair!

01-30-10 06:02 PM
    Ok, so right after my last post above, it stuck again. I couldn't even log out because it wouldn't scroll to the right to hit the button, irony of ironies. So I popped it out and put in my last trackball assy, it came right back to life. No battery pull or anything! I just hate using the new one without trying everything else first. I guess there's something in the little mechanism that just wears out. Oh well. I just have to order a few more now just to have for times like this. They're cheap and good to have on hand. Hope this...all of this helps.

01-30-10 07:35 PM
    The old trackballs get worn down and don't engage the rollers as well. I've worn 3 of them out, and that's exactly what it sounds like. Worse, as they wear down, the draw more gunk into the assembly, making them harder to use.

01-30-10 07:53 PM
    question... so what wears out? the rollers, the actual ball, or both? but the statement about the worn ones getting gunked up more makes sense... bigger gaps allow more crap to collect in the rollers and such...
    01-30-10 08:30 PM
    they lose their shape and wear down...they don't fit snug in the ring...the contacts become worn...and gunk...such is the price for having a berry
    01-30-10 08:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD