ok so i have the verizon curve and im very happy with it....the only problem i have is it wont let me send more then 160 txt to verizon people and i could do that with my other verizon phones.....and when i had the t-moblie pearl i could send any1 up to 6 pages with out starting the txt over....please help cause i really need this feature
    08-15-08 10:18 AM
    ok so i have the verizon curve and im very happy with it....the only problem i have is it wont let me send more then 160 txt to verizon people and i could do that with my other verizon phones.....and when i had the t-moblie pearl i could send any1 up to 6 pages with out starting the txt over....please help cause i really need this feature

That is the limit with VZW.
    08-15-08 10:19 AM
    Just send it as an MMS but dont insert a picture... it works for me
    08-15-08 10:20 AM
    As far as I know, the curve on verizon is limited to one page sms, which is 160 characters. If you need something longer, try a mms, more room for text on them.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-15-08 10:20 AM
    That is the limit with VZW.

yea but when your txting a vrw person u should be able to con. txting my friend has a reg. phone and he sends me like 3 txt at once with out it reseting and alot of my friends that have vzw can do that
    08-15-08 10:21 AM
    ya my LG 8100 would send my message in multiple texts if it was too large for the vzw limit or the persons phone. however with the curve you are limited to the 160 characters.
    08-15-08 10:49 AM
    MMS should give you 900 characters or you could email the person.
    08-15-08 10:55 AM
    I think mms has 1000. Emailing to a verizon phone by using the vtext.com address is also limited to 160 characters. So mms would be the best work around.

08-15-08 01:05 PM
    MMS is 1000, try using e-mail
    08-15-08 01:07 PM
    email would work but the person you are sending the message to will have to be able use email on their phone (using a smart phone or phone with email capabilities) or it will be pointless
    08-16-08 04:38 PM
    The Verizon limit on BlackBerry is 160 characters as said and yes it sucks there is no way around it with sms.

The best alternative is a mms without a picture as said. That way you can said huge messages. There are a few problems with that methos though , First it confuses the h3ll out of people getting mms with no picture. Second half the time you start a sms you don't realize you are going to run out of room until its too late , you are then forced to discard and start and mms , or copy and paste into an mms , send several seperate sms because you are to lazy to do either of the fist 2 (my method).

Everybody always says "just send an email" but 95% of my contacts cannot receive an email on their cell phone so that would be pointless.

08-16-08 05:02 PM
    SMS and txt messaging was designed to only handle 158 characters. thats why they call is SHORT message service. Anything longer than that should be sent in another format.

some carriers may alter the format of what you send bases on the amount you send, but phone and network limitations are still there.
    08-16-08 05:28 PM
    If I remember correctly (trying to keep that unstable non working device, out of my mind) uh huh,Treo, if I went over the 160, it automatically sent the excess in a second message, as I know I went over the 160, and never had a problem.

Ok, so one little teeny weeny shortcoming, but the rest of the BB makes up for it. Well actually not a shortcoming, it is the function of the sms.
    Last edited by gregmar; 08-16-08 at 07:01 PM.
    08-16-08 05:35 PM
    I don't think anybody is debating the definition of sms of the network capabilities of short message services.

At least MY point is that with my last 7, count them now SEVEN 7, LG phones with Verizon I was able to type one continuous seven page SMS message, almost 1000 characters, and send to ANYONE else on Verizon and they would also receive one continuous SMS message not broken at all. Even now my wife can send me a 7 page text message with her EnV and I can receive it intact with no issues.

Its not about what sms is supposed to be capable of as much as its the fact most of us Verizon users have beenn sending and receiving 7page sms for many years now and that now unique to the BlackBerry it no longer works.

I have no doubt that if my BlackBerry would allow me to compose an sms with more than 160 characters that it would be sent and received without issues. The problem is that I cannot type more than 160 characters on my BlackBerry to find out.

08-16-08 05:50 PM
    I don't think anybody is debating the definition of sms of the network capabilities of short message services.

At least MY point is that with my last 7, count them now SEVEN 7, LG phones with Verizon I was able to type one continuous seven page SMS message, almost 1000 characters, and send to ANYONE else on Verizon and they would also receive one continuous SMS message not broken at all. Even now my wife can send me a 7 page text message with her EnV and I can receive it intact with no issues.

Its not about what sms is supposed to be capable of as much as its the fact most of us Verizon users have beenn sending and receiving 7page sms for many years now and that now unique to the BlackBerry it no longer works.

I have no doubt that if my BlackBerry would allow me to compose an sms with more than 160 characters that it would be sent and received without issues. The problem is that I cannot type more than 160 characters on my BlackBerry to find out.

I had a non-Verizon user deliberately send me an SMS longer than 160 chars. Her phone sent it without problem. My 8830 received it as a series of separate 160 char messages. It's interesting that you can receive a long SMS intact. Apparently that's a difference in my 8830 and your device. Verizon also does not support MMS on the 8830, because it doesn't have a camera. If you were to try to send me an MMS, I would not receive it, nor would I have any indication you tried to send it. Not a big deal to me, but it's a work phone, so email works for the people I'm communicating with.
    08-16-08 07:45 PM
    Well I should clarify I was speaking verizon to Verizon. On my previous phones if I attempted to send a sms over 160 characters to a non Verizon cell I would get back a warning email from Verizon stating that messages to non Verizon customers are limited to 160 character and the recipient would only receive the first 160 characters.

As far as receiving an sms from a non Verizon customer that is over 160 characters , don't know that I have ever tried. I don't really associate with non Verizon (jk)

08-16-08 08:03 PM
    Bringing this thread back, I'm a Sprint user, and on my WM phones (and other various non PDA/Smartphones), I was able to create an SMS message longer than 160 characters and it would just alert me that it would be 2+ messages, but it would automatically send the multiple messages. I wouldn't need to parse my message into separate messages and send them separately. I was also looking for this feature on my BB, and it just seems that it's not possible. I love everything else about my BB, so I'm not complaining, but it sure would be nice to be able to send multiple messages automatically. It's definitely not a Sprint restriction, but rather a phone restriction.
    12-15-08 11:47 AM
    Verizon BlackBerry users have the same restriction. It actually goes back to the definition of SMS, which was (and is) 160 7-bit characters. CDMA BlackBerries don't implement Extended SMS. At least some GSM BlackBerries do. As do some non-BlackBerry Verizon phones. There's nothing you can do about it with Sprint or Verizon BlackBerry. A work-around for Verizon users is to send MMS. But that doesn't help you.
    12-15-08 12:17 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD