Im going to America tomorrow, so being organised about two months ago, i looked at ways of being able to take my BB with me without be murdered with roaming and extra charges. OrangeUK only does Travel data plans within Europe and not in the U.S. and that they would charge me �8/ $11 per MB, too much of a heavy punishment for my addiction (seeing as i pay �5 a month for Unlimited) I finally had to decided on the idea to only using my 8320as a standard phone and looked at turning off the data service.

This is what i found... "Manage connections > Mobile Network Options > Data Services > Off."

To then later be told (today!!) that this does not work.??? I can appreciate some models and carriers have different menus. But if you have any experience with this or if you could help, it would very much be appreciated.

Thanks.
    02-23-09 03:58 AM
    I have used this while I was abroad with my Orange 8320 and it worked fine.
    02-23-09 05:27 AM
    I just recently went on a cruise and before I left, I called AT&T and was told to turn off my data and radio. It worked. I was worried about getting hit with a huge bill. Even if you receive emails or text messages, you will be charged. Now, I keep my 8310 on "off when roaming". I hope this helps and have a safe and wonderful time in the US!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-23-09 07:37 AM
    It's a good thing someone brought this up because I wouldn't have thought of being hit with more charges.

thanks a bunch. =)
    02-23-09 07:44 AM
    I remember the last time I cruised, I had just purchased my Blackberry Curve. Of course, I took it with me on the ship and thought as long as I don't send emais or make phone calls, I would be okay. Well, I was in for a big shock when I received my bill from AT&T! Now I know better! Turn off the data and the radio (meaning your phone will not be able to receive any text messages) I only took my Curve so that I could listen to Slacker.

02-23-09 10:02 AM
    Thank you so much! You may have just saved me taking a switiched off blackberry with me to New York! Thank you for the American welcome! I'm on my way

02-23-09 04:25 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD