Alright this is the following typed letter for letter.

I just double clicked on the icon like normal and get this...

MDM Zinc v2 Error Handler

Form name: Mainform
    Form type: Normal Form
    [mdm]script v2 method: mdm.intialise
    Parameter(s):""
    Frame Number: 1
    Zinc Error: Access violation at address 7c91888f in module 'ntdll.dll'. Read of address 00200698 (no Arguements given)

Would you like to open the debug window? Pres oK to debug, NO to continue without debuggint or ABORT to end program

Basically when I hit any of the buttons the program crashes and doesnt allow me to do anyting and I need to access task manager to shut it down.

Any thoughts what is giving me this problem?

I have home access for work and they put all kinds of weird stuff on my computer, any idea if this is causing it and how to tell?
    09-02-08 09:55 PM
    So what software is giving you this error? You never did say.
    09-02-08 10:07 PM
    I think mdmZinc is a Windows mobile only application?
    09-02-08 10:19 PM
    When I am trying to install the BB software, that is the message I get.

It doesnt open any application to install, just opens that error message.
    09-02-08 10:57 PM
    You need to be more specific and actually answer our questions if you expect to get help...

The error message mentions a DLL file so I can only assume you are trying to install some software on your computer?
    09-02-08 11:07 PM
    I dont get what you guys are confused about??

I am trying to install the BLACKBERRY software onto my computer.

i am NOT trying to download anything

I insert the blackberry software cd:

I double click the icon to try and run the blackberry software install CD:

I get the following error message upon trying to install the blackberry software from the cd: ...

MDM Zinc v2 Error Handler

Form name: Mainform
    Form type: Normal Form
    [mdm]script v2 method: mdm.intialise
    Parameter(s):""
    Frame Number: 1
    Zinc Error: Access violation at address 7c91888f in module 'ntdll.dll'. Read of address 00200698 (no Arguements given)

Would you like to open the debug window? Pres oK to debug, NO to continue without debuggint or ABORT to end program

I'm not sure where the disconnect is?
    09-03-08 09:36 AM
    It would have helped if your OP indicated that you were trying to install the Blackberry Desktop Manager software.

What OS are you running on your computer?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-03-08 10:22 AM
    I am running windows XP Pro.

Sorry I assumed when I said BB software via the cd, that it was assumed it was the desktop manager.
    09-03-08 10:54 AM
    I am running windows XP Pro.

Sorry I assumed when I said BB software via the cd, that it was assumed it was the desktop manager.
    Instead of using the CD, try downloading it directly from BlackBerry See if that works.
    09-03-08 11:06 AM
    Good call SK1, the BlackBerry CD contains an earlier version of BlackBerry Desktop Manager. It has been reported as "not ready for prime time".

The new v4.6 software should install correctly and give you additional features to boot.
    09-03-08 11:23 AM
    Yeah I would try downloading it because the CD could be bad. Wouldn't be the first time that happened.
    Here is the link: BlackBerry - Desktop Software - BlackBerry Desktop Software at BlackBerry.com
    09-03-08 11:34 AM
    Hmm, I know I've installed the software before with the same cd, but I will download that and try it later tonight.

Thanks everyone.
    09-03-08 02:36 PM
    the best thing to remember is to stay calm... with our help and your patients we can get this all figured out
    09-03-08 03:08 PM
    alright I downloaded 4.6 and it didnt seem to delete all temporary files, the program seemed to freeze, it was at like 99.9% and was just stuck there for an hour.

Desktop manager seemed to install properly and has given me an icon on my desktop, but when I try to open it, it seems to freeze and not allow me to do anything.

I have a quad core brand new computer, so there is no way its my machine.

Any thoughts?

I figured maybe try and uninstall and re-install the software again, but it wont seem to allow me to uninstall it now?
    09-06-08 08:34 PM
    Alright I was able to uninstall and reinstall the software, but it still seems to be stuck at 99.9% and trying to delete all temp files.

What could be the issue?
    09-06-08 08:42 PM
    Windows XP should be fine.

Next time, select Custom install and remove Roxio Media Manager support. I would guess that is the source of your problem.

Once you have it working, you can use Repair to add Roxio back in separately.
    09-06-08 09:48 PM
    alright, I'm in the process of uninstalling it.

Do I have to add that roxio manager back in?

If there is a known bug, why isnt it fixed?
    09-06-08 10:07 PM
    alright, I'm in the process of uninstalling it.

Do I have to add that roxio manager back in?

If there is a known bug, why isnt it fixed?
    I have had some issues with Roxio, but I won't go as far as suggesting it's "buggie", but it does consume a lot of CPU time while it builds indexes of media files.

You can live without it, but it does have some convient media features like video format conversion and the ability to edit MP3 files to create ringtones.
    09-06-08 10:22 PM
    How do I know if I have the most up to date version of the curve software?

I dont think I've ever updated it?
    09-06-08 10:23 PM
    How do I know if I have the most up to date version of the curve software?

I dont think I've ever updated it?

Options / About. The original software is v4.2xx.

If you are concerned about continued carrier support, that is package you should be using.

The most advanced OS is available through some carriers v4.5xx is sweet!

But first, we have to get your DTM install working.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f52/new...anguage-62001/
    09-06-08 10:31 PM
    Options / About. The original software is v4.2xx.

If you are concerned about continued carrier support, that is package you should be using.

The most advanced OS is available through some carriers v4.5xx is sweet!

But first, we have to get your DTM install working.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f52/new...anguage-62001/
    Alright I have 4.2.2.166

So I would like to upgrade to the newest OS, but what do you mean by "Continued Carrier Support"?

It seemed to transfer all data from my old phone to my new one successfully.

Do I really need to re-install Roxio Support?

What I unchecked was something like Roxio Desktop, it didnt say anything about Support, but as I mentioned, it did seem to install correctly, opened just fine and allowed me to switch blackberry devices.

How do I know if it installed correctly with everything that is needed?

So that link is the walkthru to get the newest OS for my 8300?

Do I really need to get this DTM situation fixed first, or can I begin the walk-thru?

My carrier is AT&T if it makes a difference how I do the walk-thru?
    09-07-08 12:23 AM
    re: "Continued Carrier Support" ...

What that means is that if your carrier hasn't released the 4.5 version of the firmware, they won't provide you any tech or customer support on issues from that version.
    09-07-08 07:19 AM
    Yeah I guess since I have this forum, its better support than AT&T offers anyways.

I am interested in installing it.

So how do I check my DTM to make sure everything is installed properly and ready to upgrade my OS?
    09-07-08 12:22 PM
    Open DTM and plug in your Curve. The Device connected (PIN) should come up in a couple seconds.

From there, do a backup. If that works correctly, you can be confidant all is well.
    09-07-08 02:57 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD