Hi there, new to the BB game so to speak. I currently have an 8310 with os 4.5.0.163 and loving the phone so far.

I recently just installed BBM5 and I noticed that it chewed up a lot of my free memory. I currently have 20mb free after restart, about 17mb free after running. I do not have many apps installed either, just operna mini, poynt, mobile data alerter, google maps and BB app world.

I did some searching on how to free up memory and have read all the DIY threads but do all the memory programs listed to the same thing??

Is there anyone prefered over the other??
    I have tried using crackmem and maxmem, I recently stumbled onto shrink-a-os but was unable to find any reviews on them.

bottom line is I guess.... which program is better to use?? or is it all the same **** just different GUI?

Thanx for everyones time
    10-13-09 12:09 PM
    I wouldn't use MaxMem because it is an app installed on your BB. Kind of defeats the purpose, installing something in memory to make more memory.

I have used both CrackMem and Shrink a OS. Shrink a OS can remove more apps from your OS, but there is no reason why you can't use both. CrackMem creates a folder called Removed Files in your \Research In Motion folder, while Shrink a OS creates a Removed folder in your Java folder, so you can actually see which files where removed by each program.

I still go in and manually remove some files after using CrackMem and Shrink a OS, because there are a few .cod files that are missed by both programs. Usually foreign language files.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-13-09 01:19 PM
    Shrink-A-OS, definitely. I didn't think it'd make a very big difference, but once I got rid of all the stuff I didn't even know was there (and so clearly, never used) I went from booting with 29mb to booting with 60mb with just core apps and 43 with 15+ third party apps installed.
    10-13-09 01:53 PM
    Shrink-A-OS, definitely. I didn't think it'd make a very big difference, but once I got rid of all the stuff I didn't even know was there (and so clearly, never used) I went from booting with 29mb to booting with 60mb with just core apps and 43 with 15+ third party apps installed.
    So you just run the app and it removes files?? How much is the app?

10-13-09 02:19 PM
    I wouldn't use MaxMem because it is an app installed on your BB. Kind of defeats the purpose, installing something in memory to make more memory.

I have used both CrackMem and Shrink a OS. Shrink a OS can remove more apps from your OS, but there is no reason why you can't use both. CrackMem creates a folder called Removed Files in your \Research In Motion folder, while Shrink a OS creates a Removed folder in your Java folder, so you can actually see which files where removed by each program.

I still go in and manually remove some files after using CrackMem and Shrink a OS, because there are a few .cod files that are missed by both programs. Usually foreign language files.

thanx for the input.
    i prevoiusly ran maxmem and after completion i just removed the app
    10-13-09 02:22 PM

Shrink a OS is free.
    10-13-09 02:22 PM

shrink a os is not an app
    it is a program the strips useless programs and options from the original os before you install it to your phone

i hate to link stuff to another forum but here is the DIY i found while googling for info

actually because i have less than 10posts i can not post links

simply google "blackberry shrink a os" you will find a step by step in the first page
    10-13-09 02:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD