I have a 1gb MicroSD card in my Curve that I use basically for pictures and the occasional album/audio book. Really, its just a back up in case I forget my Creative at home. Well, when I want to add any media to my card, I have 3 options.

Option 1: I can pull the card, put it into an SD reader, drag/drop, insert the card, and boot up the Berry. This takes 9 months and 8 days because BlackBerries apparently find the cure for cancer before they are fully booted. No Thanks.

Option 2: I can plug it into my laptop that runs Linux and access it as if it were a flash drive. This is not too inconvenient but my work computer is XP and it doesn't recognize the card.

Option 3: I can plug it into any XP computer with Desktop Manager and Media Manager installed, and set the "Enable Mass Storage Control" to "Prompt". Now, when I plug it in it asks if I want to enable MSM with the options "Yes" , "No" and "Don't ask me again". At this point, without selecting "Yes" or "No", I open Media Manager and my card will be there there and I can go about my business.

Is there any way to avoid all of this and just have my phone go back to being a Flash Drive?! I'm going nuts over this! It's been like this for a while and I don't think any single action is to blame. I am running the newest official Sprint 131 OS. This happens on several computers not just my work computer. It also happens when I insert my other microSD card (4 gigs). I've tried formatting them via my phone and computer with no luck. I've tried every possible setting in the "Media Card" menu. I've tried the card in my brothers Berry and it worked fine.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks CB!!!
    02-09-09 03:50 PM
    go to options -> media card and make sure that mass storage mode when conencted is "on"

i assume the card is FAT formatted?

other than that i dotn see why a winxp machien wouldnt read an sdcard in a BB
    02-09-09 04:14 PM
    the card is FAT formatted... and if i set it to on, then neither XP nor Media Manager recognize it... i have to leave it on Prompt...

any ideas?

thanks though!!

also, i realized that windows is recognizing it but it's not showing up in my computer... but the "Safely Remove Hardware" icon pops up in the corner when plugged in
    Last edited by mokash34; 02-09-09 at 04:32 PM.
    02-09-09 04:17 PM
    no luck i guess.... i'm just going to deal with it i guess..
    02-15-09 11:56 PM
    I'm not in front of my Windows machine right now, so I'm pulling this out of memory... but give it a shot. Plug the BB in, enable mass storage, yadda yadda yadda.

Right click on My Computer. There should be a menu option for "Manage". Be careful in here. It's possible to change settings that will break windows. (Not that it's really a challenge to break windows anyway, but I digress......) Look for Disk Management. You should see representations of all of your hard drives, optical drives, and any USB drives you have plugged in.

I don't remember exactly what the screen looks like, but it shouldn't be hard to figure out which drive is the memory card in your BB. (I think you) Right click, and look for something about "edit drive letters and paths." Assign your BB a specific drive letter (I use B

You may have to reboot before the changes take effect, but whenever you plug your BB in, it should always show up as the drive you selected.

I will double check this tomorrow or the next day, when I get back to my XP computer.
    02-16-09 12:09 AM
    What is the largest micro SD card for a BB 8320 ? I'm getting all sorts of answers from 2g to 8g an from the sales weasels ?
    Last edited by sv80; 02-16-09 at 12:24 AM. Reason: left a word out
    02-16-09 12:22 AM
    What is the largest micro SD card for a BB 8320 ? I'm getting all sorts of answers from 2g to 8g an from the sales weasels ?
    Depends on what OS you're running. Go to Options--About to check. I think 4.2 or 4.3 supports 4 gig, 4.5 supports 8 gig, and maybe 4.5.0.77 supports 17 gig?
    02-16-09 03:25 PM
    I'm not in front of my Windows machine right now, so I'm pulling this out of memory... but give it a shot. Plug the BB in, enable mass storage, yadda yadda yadda.

Right click on My Computer. There should be a menu option for "Manage". Be careful in here. It's possible to change settings that will break windows. (Not that it's really a challenge to break windows anyway, but I digress......) Look for Disk Management. You should see representations of all of your hard drives, optical drives, and any USB drives you have plugged in.

I don't remember exactly what the screen looks like, but it shouldn't be hard to figure out which drive is the memory card in your BB. (I think you) Right click, and look for something about "edit drive letters and paths." Assign your BB a specific drive letter (I use B

You may have to reboot before the changes take effect, but whenever you plug your BB in, it should always show up as the drive you selected.

I will double check this tomorrow or the next day, when I get back to my XP computer.
    i love you! it worked perfectly! thanks so much, i was right about to pull a chris brown on my phone....
    thanks so much!

p.s. i changed it to B also
    02-16-09 03:26 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD