I'm trying really hard to like this device, and so far I'm really missing my Treo (been about 4 days).

I have Sprint service and the following questions for anyone willing to help me out:

1. How do I simply take a picture and text message it to somebody? I see no options except for e-mail or BB Messenger - and most the folks I stay in touch with don't have BB's.

2. How do I set up a speed (not voice) dial? I used to be able to just mash an assigned letter, how do I do that with this?

3. Is there a "delete" e-mail shortcut? I see you can hit "r" to reply or "f" to forward, but is there an easier way to delete?

4. Why does it ask me if I want to delete from "On Mailbox & Handheld" or "On Handheld" instead of just deleting? I've looked through the options and don't see how to make that prompt stop.

I'll have more questions, but these are the ones in particular that are making me crazy right now.

Thank you for hearing me out.
    10-11-08 09:11 AM
    1. How do I simply take a picture and text message it to somebody? I see no options except for e-mail or BB Messenger - and most the folks I stay in touch with don't have BB's.
    Open Camera > Click Menu Key > View Pictures > Navigate to where your pics are stored > Highlight Pic > Click Menu Key > Send As MMS > Select Contact from Address Book

2. How do I set up a speed (not voice) dial? I used to be able to just mash an assigned letter, how do I do that with this?
    Click Send Button > Click Menu Key > View Speed Dial List > Click on an unused letter > Select New Speed Dial > Select Contact from Address Book.
    You can also hold down a key for 2 seconds you would like to setup for speed dial, it will prompt you as to what number you would like to assign to that key.
    To Dial the number after it's setup, just press and hold the letter associated with that number from the home screen to dial that number.

3. Is there a "delete" e-mail shortcut? I see you can hit "r" to reply or "f" to forward, but is there an easier way to delete?
    Hit the Delete Key on your blackberry

4. Why does it ask me if I want to delete from "On Mailbox & Handheld" or "On Handheld" instead of just deleting? I've looked through the options and don't see how to make that prompt stop.
    If it's synced up if you choose the delete method of "On Mailbox & Handheld" it will delete the Email from your phone as well as your online Email account. If you choose "On Handheld" it will not delete the Email stored for that account. I may not be 100% sure on this. I've always just deleted it from my handheld only.
    Last edited by cdf3; 10-11-08 at 09:42 AM.
    10-11-08 09:25 AM
    1. You should have an option for MMS which is your picture messaging.
    2. Hold down the number 2 or whichever number it should prompt if you want to assign speed dial. Just say yes and select the name.
    3.by just pressing the "DEL" key while viewing the email it should prompt if you want to delete and from what inbox.
    4. As to why or how to change this not sure but I love it because sometimes there are thing I want to save and not so I'm able to delete directly from my phone from my email so later its less I have to do.

I have an 8100 but the shortcuts should be the same. Hope this helps!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-11-08 09:30 AM
    The curve is a much better phone than any Treo out there. All of your questions and concerns can be answered by searching this forum, or others that are out there.
    10-11-08 09:30 AM
    I'm trying really hard to like this device, and so far I'm really missing my Treo (been about 4 days).

I have Sprint service and the following questions for anyone willing to help me out:

I'll have more questions, but these are the ones in particular that are making me crazy right now.

Thank you for hearing me out.
    Welcome to Crackberry.

Many others will help out here because you have asked a number of questions.

1). I do not know how to send a pic. Never done it. You can seperate your SMS and email messages like this. Go to Messages, Press Menu (the key with the dots on it to the left of the trackball), select Options, General Options, scroll down to Keep Messages SMS and Email Inboxes Seperate. Select Sepreate and then save Press escape - key to the right of the trackball).

2). Speed Dial: Press and hold any keyboard (0-9, a-z) that you wish to assign a speed dial and the phone will prompt you. Number key 1 is used by convention for Voicemail access.

3). Have a look at the file I uploaded. Also look at the BlackBerry 101 Lectures in my signature.

4). When you Delete a message, you have the option to delete it just from the handheld (BlackBerry speak for phone) or on the email server i.e. Outlook if you have not already downloaded the message.

I hope that this has helped somewhat. The BlackBerry and the Treo do things very differently and some adjustment is required. Some things you may miss but, on balance the the BlackBerry will win out over time.

Please come back to these forums ans search for anything you want to know. If you can't find it, ask us.
    10-11-08 09:33 AM
    i've never had the treo so i can't really tell you which one is better. i will say that you should keep reminding yourself that with any new device there are going to be different ways of doing things and learning how is half the fun. also there is ALWAYS someone here that can answer any question you can think up.

and welcome to crackberry!
    10-11-08 09:42 AM
    Wow, thank you all for the fast replies.

Here's the options I have when I open the Camera menu:

Send as Email
    Send to Messenger Contact
    Send Using Bluetooth

Those are my only send options.

Would MMS be in this menu?

Don't mean to be thick, I'm just not seeing it.

Thanks
    10-11-08 09:48 AM
    it should be in that menu. right under the send to messenger contact option. try opening the pic and then hitting the menu key. other than that i can't think of a reason the option wouldn't be there.
    10-11-08 09:55 AM
    Go to Options > Advanced Options > Applications > click Menu Key > Modules > highlight net_rim_bb_mms > click Menu Key > Edit Default Permissions > make sure Connections, Interactions, User Data are all set to Allow.

Hope this will fix the problem. If not, perhaps someone can provide a fix.
    10-11-08 10:04 AM
    I thought Sprint users couldn't do mms messages?

10-11-08 10:05 AM
    Yeah, Sprint doesn't allow MMS messages from Berries. You can send an email to the person's phone, which acts as an MMS message.

For Sprint phones, its [email protected]. There's a [strike]forum[/strike] post in one of the forums here that lists the emails for all the carriers to bypass the no MMS issue...I just saved that email address as a second for the contacts I send picture mail to.

I, too, had a Sprint Treo before the Curve, but I'm really happy with the switch, thanks to the helpful people on here!

-neil

10-11-08 10:14 AM
    OK, I did make the changes CDF3 recommended (and I did change the settings to "allow"), however, still no MMS option when I got to send a picture.

And TKERugger, are you saying I need to input a person's phone number, then add @pm.sprint.com to each message I want to send?

That's the easiest (or only) way to do this?
    10-11-08 10:38 AM
    You have to know the carrier of the person you are sending the MMS to so that you can send it to their phone's email address. I will try to find the post that lists all the carriers email extensions and will edit this with that post.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f52/fas...d+email+to+mms

Try this.
    Last edited by Ter1990; 10-11-08 at 12:18 PM. Reason: added link
    10-11-08 12:07 PM
    Not being able to send pics via text message could be a deal breaker. I do this a lot.

I appreciate everyone's feedback.
    10-11-08 12:19 PM
    other carriers allow this if you aren't locked in to a contract.
    10-11-08 12:49 PM
    Well, it's my company's plan, so I have no choice. I'll probably switch back to the Treo unless there is a workaround.

Thanks
    10-11-08 01:30 PM
    It truly is a pain to not have this feature, I agree. Make sure to send Sprint an email and mention it...maybe with enough pressure, they'll enable it. It was so easy on my Treo...

-neil

10-11-08 07:42 PM
    Wow, thank you all for the fast replies.

Here's the options I have when I open the Camera menu:

Send as Email
    Send to Messenger Contact
    Send Using Bluetooth

Those are my only send options.

Would MMS be in this menu?

Don't mean to be thick, I'm just not seeing it.

Thanks
    I too have been converting from a TREO 700P to a BB 83XX. I use MMS to send a photo and MMS for regular txt messaging.
    10-12-08 09:36 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD