If there are any former Treo users out there that can help me make the move to a BB I would appreciate it. I have been a Palm / Treo user (Samsung I500, Treo 700P) for years. Sprint has just released the 800W and after trying it over the weekend and I am about to go nuts. The battery is TERRIBLE and the WM seems "buggy".

What are some of the major things I should know about and what is different good and bad? (no touch screen I know)

I have to carry a smartphone for work. In order of priority: calls, text messaging, calendar, and e-mail. Battery life is also very important.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
    07-28-08 12:43 PM
    All I can say is I had the Treo 800w for 3 days and I returned it. I went with the Blackberry Curve 8330 and it is the BEST decision I have made. I love the Blackberry. Just do it. You will have no regrets and it puts a Treo 800w to shame. I am surprised Palm is still in business. The good and bad you want to know. The good is Blackberry curve is a great phone the bad - there really is none. The Treo is the bad. Give me a call if you want. 320-221-2953. My name is Chad and am willing to tell you how more about the Treo and Blackberry differences. By the way...You won't miss the touch screen. Blackberry drilled the curve model.

Thanks.

Chad
    07-28-08 12:59 PM
    As a phone the Curve has been very good for me. I don't text much, so really can't comment there. As for PIM applications, if you only used the standard calendar and Tasks in the Palm and Windows Mobile then the standard BlackBeery should be reasonable with only a few features left out (Categories on Appointments for example don't exist). Currently the third-part PIM applications are not what I would like but as the BlackBerry becomes more popular that will hopefully improve. For email the push email is very nice and works extremely well as long as you are not looking for your BlackBerry and your Outlook to be in full sync and don't have BES (Corporate) server.

Hope this helps.
    07-28-08 04:47 PM
    I used the Treo 750 for two years. Got the Curve about three weeks ago. It was the best decision I've ever made. I text/email constantly. The phone quality and battery life are amazing. My Treo battery lasted three hours if I was lucky and it would constantly freeze. The Curve doesn't freeze at all and I can easily go two or three days without charging. Get the Curve - you won't regret it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-28-08 07:59 PM
    I used the Treo 750 for two years. Got the Curve about three weeks ago. It was the best decision I've ever made. I text/email constantly. The phone quality and battery life are amazing. My Treo battery lasted three hours if I was lucky and it would constantly freeze. The Curve doesn't freeze at all and I can easily go two or three days without charging. Get the Curve - you won't regret it.

cdma curve battery life wont last that long. expect 1 full day of heavy use out of your curves battery (but it is 3g) on CDMA (sprint/verizon/alltel) or 1.5 days if your not a crackberry abuser like most of us.

former 755p owner here (well its still in my drawer) switching was a wise decision. i dont think i could go back to palm unless they create something really amazing, and non of there current phones qualify as amazing by any stretch of the amagination.
    07-28-08 08:08 PM
    Ok. Thanks for the info. Maybe a Red curve, black skin, Inspired 9000 today theme? Now if I could just find something compairable to Butler that I had on my Treo. It was great for shortcuts and nagging reminders etc... I'll keep digging.
    07-28-08 09:02 PM
    You're in for a ride but it won't all be bad.
    If you're used to DateBk, Butler, and that very nice calendar program I had (can't recall the name right now)...ah yes...Agendus...then forget about it. There's nothing out there for the BB that will even come close. Matter of fact the calendar in BB suck!
    Having said that, the BB has so many great features that far surpasses that of the Treo. Like someone mentioned, the push email works great (except hotmail for some), the BB messenger is a huge plus for cost effective form of communication with fellow BB users.
    The design is so much nicer too. The Treo was THE best design at the time but as other smartphones developed with sleeker looks and design the Treo just faltered behind.
    Ultimately they both have their pros and cons but you won't regret the switch
    07-28-08 09:46 PM
    I agree with JoJo. You are in for a ride and it definitely wont be bad. I have recently switched over myself ( I got my curve on Friday!). I was initially going to "try" it for a week to see what I thought. After only 4 days I am hooked! I was a treo user starting w/ the 650->700->755. I do not miss it. There are definately differences in the two, however the good tilts the scale so much more than you could imagine. I thought I would miss the touch screen but I am actually glad that the curve does not have one. The battery life is absolutely amazing!
    07-28-08 10:30 PM
    I agree with what has already been said. I used a Treo 600, 650p, 700p and then a Centro. I switched to the BB about a month ago, and will never go back.
    It was rough at first - I kept trying to touch the screen to select apps.
    I miss some of my favorite apps, but I'm finding replacements for them or living without them.

I've noticed that my battery lasts longer. I love getting my email right away, and the GPS maps is fabulous. The bb doesn't lock up like the 700 did, every day.
    I'm still figuring out the music and movies. And, although I like the full keyboard, I'm actually buying a pearl, to get the camera back and go a little smaller in size for a while.
    The bb quality alone is so much more impressive.
    Just try it - you can always go back.
    07-28-08 10:55 PM
    I just migrated over to a Sprint 8330 this past weekend from my Treo 650.
    Wow.. what a difference. I've been using Treos for quite some time. I had a Treo 300 -> Samsung -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650.

It was really a tough choice on whether to iphone or not. Using this phone, there are a couple of things that I still miss about the Treo so far. However, this Curve ROCKS! Its quick... the email is instantaneous, the service is sooo much faster, and Sprint Navigation is very cool.

Here's what I miss about the Treo:
    - To Do List and Notes organization tabs
    - Calendar is more intuitive
    - Getting to home is easier/quicker
    - Touch screen

Here's what I like about the BB Curve:
    - EVDO is Fast
    - Browser is better
    - App support is currently better and more useful than that on the iPhone
    - Built in GPS (Google Maps and Sprint Nav are awesome)
    - IM support (Yahoo and AIM work so much better)
    - Phone clarity (which is why you buy the thing) works EXCELLENT. Its clear, easy to hear. Much better than Treo or iPhone 1st gen that I messed with.
    07-29-08 02:41 AM
    I had a Treo 650 also and by the time I got rid of it in May, I just wanted to toss it in a river. It froze up on me several times a day and began dropping calls as well. I am very happy with the curve. Thought I would miss the touch screen but I got over that really fast. I do miss the notes but found another free application that works great.
    07-29-08 07:16 AM
    If you're a Palm Treo power user, you will get very frustrated with the lack of good 3rd party apps. To be specific, Datebk and takephone are two apps that I miss soooo much.

I've been using my Curve for a couple months now and for the most part, I'm happy. Very long battery life, haven't had to reboot yet, fast email, very nice keyboard, and bluetooth reliability. BUT, the Treo does things the Curve won't do like record video, muting camera shutter sound, integrated calendar and tasks on one screen, floating appointments, the 5 way to me is way better than the ball, automatic timezones based on network(yes the BB is manual), and thousands of great 3rd party apps that basically do anything you can dream up. Now the bad side to that is you also get lots of 3rd party apps that suck and freeze up the Treo, making everyone think the Treo hardware is to blame.

Oh yes, the Blackberry's push email is wayyyy better than anything you can get on Treo. I was using Goodlink and that was a very poorly done piece of software, It got worse after motorola bought Good.

So in summary, If you're email centric, Blackberry.
    If you're looking for really good 3rd party apps and a fun PDA, Treo.
    By the way, as much as I think the iPhone is way overhyped, the new 3G iPhone is pretty nice. But I still hate the keyboard.
    08-04-08 12:06 AM
    Congrats on the switch and welcome to crackberry.com
    08-04-08 12:24 AM
    BUT, the Treo does things the Curve won't do like record video
    Doesn't it record video now with the new update? o _ O
    08-04-08 01:30 AM
    Doesn't it record video now with the new update? o _ O
    Yup. If you have OS 4.3 or above you can record video!

08-04-08 01:43 AM
    Never easy to switch on what you are used to. You will lose some things you like, but will find new surprises that are better. Take the time to read the manual so the positive surprises out way what you lose. I reluctantly switched from Palm to Blackberry, for work, some time ago. I had to find new ways of doing things, but very happy with the switch.
    09-30-08 06:27 PM
    i just recently made the switch. i gotta say, i have never looked back. i find the BB to be much faster, even just navigating around the OS. i thought i would miss the touch screen but i do not.
    the one thing that i miss is the conversation-style text messaging. but the BB organization is very good as well.

i don't think you'll regret the switch. but keep us posted either way!

-randy
    09-30-08 07:32 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD