Newbie here on the CB site, so pardon my ignorance if this placed incorrectly.

IS there a application, or setting on the Curve, in which I can either by way of desktop internet access, my BB Curve internet access or otherwise, than I can keep tabs on my kid's whereabouts using his Blackberry.
    Both devices are BB Curves.

Also, do they have to be on the same billing account?

I checked into the Parental Software available through Verizon and they said the Curves are NOT compatible with that feature.

If there was, I'd also consider loading it onto my wife's Curve so I can know where she is when calls and tells me she's Lost!
    That would be Too Awesome!

Any ideas?

- Dad tired of giving directions via phone.
    09-08-09 02:42 PM
    IS there a application, or setting on the Curve, in which I can keep tabs on my kid's whereabouts using his Blackberry.
    Both devices are BB Curves.

Also, do they have to be on the same billing account?

I checked into the Parental Software available through Verizon and they said the Curves are NOT compatible with that feature.

You can try this, providing you have GPS capable devices.

Which models are they (Curve 8300, 8310, 8320, 8330...) Some curve's are not GPS capable, so GPS apps won't work. But, there might be something out there that uses cell tower triangulation, which would be somewhat vague when it comes to exact location.
    If your BB's don't have GPS, you can buy GPS "dongles" ( like a keychain) that might help you out, but I don't know anything about the dongles....
    09-08-09 02:59 PM
    I just installed this...only took a few minutes.
    09-08-09 04:40 PM
    These are Verizon questions. I believe Sprint has the tracking feature but it was like $30 a month maybe per phone...
    09-08-09 04:41 PM
    ATT has it but they also carry the gps curve 8310 and its like $5/month for 2 phones or like $10 for up to 5 not to bad for what it does I guess. But I don't see the need for it since I would trust my kids...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-08-09 04:45 PM
    I just installed this...only took a few minutes.
    What was it you just installed?
    09-10-09 05:32 PM
    The BB I'm using is the 8330.
    09-10-09 05:33 PM
    BTW, I tried the instamapper and set it up, enable the GPS.... it just keeps saying that it's:
    Locating... Time: XXs
    09-10-09 05:36 PM
    BTW, I tried the instamapper and set it up, enable the GPS.... it just keeps saying that it's:
    I'm having the same problem. Seems like nothing works right on these phones My buddy's iPhone hooked right up to it without any issues... Like always... Perhaps it's time I make the switch!
    09-19-09 09:28 PM
    You could use smrtguard: CrackBerryAppStore.com

It's subscription and does more than just track, just read up. I use it on my 8330 and it works great. You'd have to install on each berry but you could track through web interface. I love the ability to lock or wipe my device remotely if it gets stolen.

I bought the annual plan.

09-20-09 02:30 AM
    When i had a VZW 8330 i used Google Latitude for GPS tracking. Granted, it's using cell tower location, but it was accurate to within 2000-3000 meters. It's in the ballpark and it's free.

Google Maps-Latitude

BlackBerry Maps works using the GPS on VZW 8330s. You can have that installed on the devices. Then your wife can find her location using BlackBerry Maps and send you the exact location to your phone or email.

i used this method on my VZW 8330 often.

VZ Navigator also has a mapping feature. The wife can map her location and send it to your VZ Nav via the Place Message feature. Once you get that location, you can map it on your phone or get directions to location from where you are. VZ Nav is $9.99/month.

i use the Place Message feature quite often still on my Tour. Used it on my 8330 also.

09-20-09 02:57 AM
    I've been using instapapper for more than a month now and I think it's great! The only thing I can think of is you have to make sure that the app has all the necessary permissions allowed...

I've also read that some company's disable or cripple the gps on there phones... I don't know if your carrier does that but it might be something to look into.

Like I said before I like instamaper and it's always worked pretty good... actually it's worked great...for a free app.

I did notice a big improvement when I did the " Real fix for broken GPS guide"

http://forums.crackberry.com/f41/rea...v1-0-a-192999/

The guide is instructions to change the internal GPS settings on your phone... It's not for the faint of heart... or computer challenged.

Some have claimed that it has fixed there GPS... and others have had no luck with it... for me I saw a definite improvement in the number of satellites I could find and the new locations that I could get a fix, places that I couldn't get a GPS fix before. either way I would recommend reading all 35 pages if your interested in trying it out...

good luck...:-)
    09-20-09 04:33 AM
    Unfortunately, the GPS is locked on VZW 8330s except for use with BlackBerry Maps and VZ Navigator.

09-20-09 04:37 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD