I was told someone can track me because of my BB, due to my GPS on the phone. Also if they have my pin number.

is this true? if so where can I get more info

also, if it is true..is there a way to block it?

any info would be appreciated.

thanks!
    10-08-07 09:07 PM
    Not true. If you are really worried, set location to 911 only.
    10-08-07 09:21 PM
    ^what do you mean by set location to 911 only
    10-08-07 09:24 PM
    Options>Location Based Services> 911 only.
    10-08-07 09:29 PM
    Any cell phone can be tracked, by people with the proper authorization and equipment.

If someone has gone missing, the police can triangulate their position, if their cell phone is turned on, based on which cell sites are picking up their phone's signal. Has nothing to do with a blackberry, or your PIN number, again, ANY cell phone can be used to track you.

But hey, don't sweat it.... the gov.t is probably reading your e-mail and text messages, and watching what books you check out of the library, so who cares if they also happen to know where you are!

(By the way, the reports that govt. agencies can actually use your own cell phone, turned on, while not actively making a call, as a mic to bug your home or office has NOT definitively been confirmed, yet. .... just wanted to make sure you knew that.)
    10-08-07 09:33 PM
    My neighbor here in Ellicott City actually works for the boyz in Ft. Meade (NSA). My running joke with him is "hey Allen, did I get any email today?". Of course, we blame them for the crappy cell reception here as well - they suck too much of the signal away while running all your calls through software recognition
    10-09-07 07:52 AM
    /me can't say anything, damn NDA's.
    10-09-07 08:36 AM
    so who cares if they also happen to know where you are!
    I do! That is a huge invasion of privacy.

The whole Patriot Act is a joke. It basically circumvents the Constitution and lets the President do whatever he wants. But, that is a topic for another day and another thread. I don't want to go off on a political tangent here.
    10-09-07 03:11 PM
    (By the way, the reports that govt. agencies can actually use your own cell phone, turned on, while not actively making a call, as a mic to bug your home or office has NOT definitively been confirmed, yet. .... just wanted to make sure you knew that.)
    That was confirmed long before you made this post. They can also do it with your vehicle services like OnStar.
    12-14-07 04:49 PM
    Not if I wear this tin-foil cap

Only kidding of course.... or am I? (dun dun dun)
    12-14-07 05:09 PM
    Tracking and such is an odd subject, but aside from all the government agencies doing it....I think what you MAY be referring to in this case is e911 (ENHANCED 911) it allows for emergency services to pinpoint you in case of a a 911 call and such, devices without GPS use the triangulation method as seen in google maps as of late.

Aside from that, this discussion could make for a great app as well, while the Find My Berry app is great, it seems to me to be only good in the case you lose your BB in your couch, if someone could build an app that say for example your BB was stolen, it would send u an email with GPS locations (or a triangulated estimate) on start up that would be mint, they had this for numerous other electronic devices.
    12-14-07 06:00 PM
    I recently lost my phone, and i was wondering if the gps could be used to track it, (8320) and i called tmobile, and explained my situation, and they told me they dont have the authorization to track it, only if i were to go missing.

believe it or not, i was going to stage a dissapearing act and get someone to track my phone via 911, to get my phone back. (curve addiction had me going nuts)

im going crazy here trying to figure out a way to find a phone that i lost, and someone picked up and kept for themselves.

PM's anyone?
    01-01-08 05:06 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD