Just recently my wifes 8310s trackball is not 'selecting'
    Meaning, you can scroll all you want but just simply cannot select.
    Insurance/Warranty are not an option.
    Trackball is clean, no issues there.
    Read that this has been a common issue and possibly software to blame?

Looks like the only option is to send it off to one of these repair places I have seen all over the web.

Anyone else experience this a well? and if so what was the solution?

Thanks for any input.
    11-18-08 02:56 PM
    Sounds like it's a hardware issue. If I were you I'd look in your local yellowpages...usually there's at least one BB repair shop per major city. It'll cost you a bit to get it fixed but if it's not working it'll need a repair.
    11-18-08 03:23 PM
    I had that problem. USCC said the only solution was to send it in for a replacement but I was under warranty. Sorry this isnt more help. Good luck!
    11-18-08 04:16 PM
    When i got my berry i didnt like how the trackball would scroll up so i bought two new ones with the ring for 12 bucks. I repleaced the original and now it works great! When you go to select, when pressing down does it make a click sound or feel like it clicks?
    11-18-08 05:44 PM
    I'm going through the same problem right now. Only, mine are with all my buttons. I fixed the trackball by popping out the ring and trackball and pushing the contact with a Q-Tip. It worked after that. Now, no buttons work on mine. Hopefully this may be of some use for you.
    11-18-08 11:54 PM
    When you go to select, when pressing down does it make a click sound or feel like it clicks?
    Yes, it clicks--sounds and feels like it.

I fixed the trackball by popping out the ring and trackball and pushing the contact with a Q-Tip. It worked after that.
    I will definitely try that.
    Thanks!
    11-19-08 10:10 AM
    I had a similar problem with my pearl. Search the boards for the thread on how to replace the trackball. BE GENTLE with it. The silver ring is just plastic and has 3 tips that click into place. If you break one of them you will be out of luck until you replace it.

Use a butter knife and gently pry from the side, it should pop right out, no need to force it.
    You can clean it with a SMALL amount of rubbing alcohol on a q-tip. then push that contact with the dry side of the q-tip.

You can always get trackball replacements on ebay for super cheap. Oh and... the good news is that you can still scroll with the trackball, you can always use the 'enter/return' key to select.
    11-19-08 10:44 AM
    Cleaning or replacing is not the issue.
    enter/return key is being used, thanks.
    11-19-08 10:55 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD