My trackball doesnt light up anymore. Ive had the phone for 3 wks now. Is it something i could have done or did i get a faulty unit? when is the light suppose to turn on anyways?
    02-26-09 04:26 PM
    Should still be under carriers' return policy, they should fix it or replace it.

Does your keyboard lite up? One thing you can check before you take it in is a battery pull. Device on>remove back>pull battery>wait 30 seconds>install battery>let it boot up and see what you have. If it's still out, let em fix it or give you a new one.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-26-09 04:32 PM
    hey manny-your phone has a sensor (where the led is) and it will detect wen its darker that it needs to turn on. Now if you only had your ph 3wks-i would say go bak to your carrier and have them ck it out. I do know there is a little light in behind the trackball-there are instruction on youtube on how to remove your trackball, if you feel confident enuf to do so. (i wont go there w/mine ) I think there is also instruction here on the trackball removal also, but as for replacing that little bulb---that i dont know. good luck
    02-26-09 04:32 PM
    If you have not changed any settings at all in the options>screen and keyboard and a battery pull with the phone on does not help you I would just get it replaced. It should not be happening unless you have damaged the phone. Not sure why its happening but if it was working fine before with no change it could happen again, why chance it..
    02-26-09 04:39 PM
    Alright, well I have another question here about the Trackball's light. Is there a way to make the trackball brighter? My trackball right now is pretty dim, even when lit up to 100%.
    02-26-09 04:41 PM
    If he has warranty that would not be a good thing to do, Shellie. I doubt if at 3 weeks he'd wanna do that. If the LED is bad, it's a supplier defect and should be taken care of.

02-26-09 04:42 PM
    Alright, well I have another question here about the Trackball's light. Is there a way to make the trackball brighter? My trackball right now is pretty dim, even when lit up to 100%.
    I do not know of a way to make the TB brighter other than what you have tried. You could replace the ball itself, a new one would be alot brighter than what you have now. After a few weeks mine looked a hazy gray..... A new one was bright azz white
    02-26-09 04:48 PM
    The output of the TB light is limited by the LED that was used. You'd have to have someone with experience go in and put a stronger diode in there, and I think that's hard wired to the main board.

02-26-09 04:51 PM
    I do not know of a way to make the TB brighter other than what you have tried. You could replace the ball itself, a new one would be alot brighter than what you have now. After a few weeks mine looked a hazy gray..... A new one was bright azz white
    Mine is still pretty white. It's kind of gray, but not a nasty green/brown color like my cousin's Pearl.

The output of the TB light is limited by the LED that was used. You'd have to have someone with experience go in and put a stronger diode in there, and I think that's hard wired to the main board.

This sounds a little dangerous My friend's on Verizon and has the 8830 World Edition, and his trackball is brighter than his screen and his keyboard It's completely white. It stands out very nicely.
    Last edited by RockfordRockets; 02-26-09 at 05:04 PM.
    02-26-09 05:01 PM
    If he has warranty that would not be a good thing to do, Shellie. I doubt if at 3 weeks he'd wanna do that. If the LED is bad, it's a supplier defect and should be taken care of.

i do agree with you BK, but i dont know how experienced he may be w/bb so thats why i put it out there just in case he is handy....myself on the other hand.....wouldnt go there. im just spazzy! LOL
    02-26-09 05:10 PM
    No worries. Not knowing what the OP skill level was, wouldn't want to get him in a jam with warranty. I was gonna start doing things with mine early on, but figured I'd play it smart and ease into that kind of thing, and I'm pretty good at assembly and disassembly of delicate things. Glad I found out about the paper telltales before it was too late.

02-26-09 05:27 PM
    If you view the trackball at various positions-you'll notice it's brighter at around the 10 o'clock or so angle. It's because of the tiny LED. Only way to replace it is to give it back for a new one. Only way to make it brighter, is to clean the trackball.

02-26-09 08:54 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD