So I thought maybe I would ask this since it's been bothering me lately. And I know I'm not the only person who tries to be a perfectionist about their precious berry's appearance.

Does anyone else have trouble with the trackball always getting yellowish and dirty? I never touch my phone with nasty hands or while I am eating so I don't know how it's happening. The trackball gets yellowish and looks gross on my sexy curve. I have ordered two new trackballs since I got my curve three months ago just to see the difference. They start out white but end up yellow within a couple weeks. I have followed most of the popular cleaning methods like dishwasher, vinegar + hot water, etc. and none of them work. The trackball stays the same color.

So if I don't want to keep wasting money on trackballs...what do I do? Hmm
    10-02-08 08:44 PM
    Heh, mine is basically brown now. It just happens with use. I'm not sure who thought of using a bright white trackball, but it's pretty terrible. I guess you could wear a rubber glove every time you touched your BlackBerry...
    10-02-08 08:49 PM
    well it seems that youve tried everything...

well ive tried a bunch of stuff, but my trackball is still sort of yellowish...

im not sure if there is anything you can do, ive just learned to love my berry even with the yellowish ball.
    10-02-08 08:49 PM
    I guess but...it's hard to accept that it's just going to be dirty. It's so white and soft when a new trackball is in...mmmm...
    10-02-08 09:02 PM
    I guess but...it's hard to accept that it's just going to be dirty. It's so white and soft when a new trackball is in...mmmm...
    Yeah, I agree. I really, really need a new one. Mine has to be pressed down really hard to click on things sometimes.
    10-02-08 09:03 PM
    Cellular Accessories - NEC, BenQ-Siemens, Tools, Dopod/O2, Mobiado, Alcatel, 3G, Microsoft, Nokia, Acce has them, I am going to order me a few to keep around in case I need to replace mine.
    10-02-08 09:04 PM
    There is a "Sticky" post on the board (don't know where it is but you can search) about removing and cleaning the trackball - in those instructions the author used a colored permanent marker such as a Sharpie to "paint" his trackball a different color - apparently this was met with great success - I think he colored one Blue and it came out very well - - so you might try that method and create a colored trackball - some color better than dingy yellow
    10-02-08 09:06 PM
    On cnn.cn they are $9 plus shipping, but I found this on ebay where you can buy one for $6.50 with free shipping.

I was thinking about just buying a handful of these..
    10-02-08 09:14 PM
    It's better than having blue balls
    10-02-08 09:25 PM
    its called dirty white and that's how I like mine...
    10-02-08 09:36 PM
    So I thought maybe I would ask this since it's been bothering me lately. And I know I'm not the only person who tries to be a perfectionist about their precious berry's appearance.

The main thing is you are touching the berry's ball with your hands/fingers, which even when clean have oils on them. Every time you touch your hair, face, computer keyboards, etc, you pick up oils and dirt. So the only way to keep it from happening is to well become a slave to hand washing (not a good idea by the way).

Just like mouse balls, the oil gets transferred to the rollers under it and they keep picking up dust, oil and dirt and putting it back on the ball, so it just keeps the circle going, until something gives (either you due to how it looks or the rollers stop moving).

The trackball is a plastic bead, that with a little effort can be cleaned, just best not to be doing it while it's still in the berry. But to help keep it clean, you'll want to make sure the rollers get cleaned as well.

I'm sure there are lots of methods listed on the forum for getting the balls and rollers cleaned or replaced, just follow them and you'll be fine. And for those marathon berry sessions, just wash and dry before hand, that's really all you can do. Especially you chocoholics!

And since you have bought two replacement balls, how about cleaning those and swap them out. I'm pretty sure you can find one of those sonic jewelry cleaners. If you already have one, toss you old balls in and give it a go. Or if you are like me and cheap, a baby food jar, a little water and a few drops of Dawn or other grease cutting dish washing liquid, should do the trick, by letting your spare balls soak in it. BTW Dawn is a great all purpose bathroom cleaner.
    Last edited by BlkBear; 10-02-08 at 10:21 PM.
    10-02-08 10:17 PM
    ORRR you can sneakily switch your old yellow trackballs with your boyfriends brand new one while he is in the other room....hehe
    10-02-08 10:20 PM
    ORRR you can sneakily switch your old yellow trackballs with your boyfriends brand new one while he is in the other room....hehe
    LOL now there's an idea! Sounds like you speak from experience.
    10-02-08 10:28 PM
    I wouldn't want my Balls switched
    10-02-08 10:52 PM
    well he comes home bragging how he switched his old trackball with a new one from work (AT&T) to try and make me jealous...so i come right back at him by switching mine and his

then....*holding back laughter* in a few days he says how weird it is that his new trackball already looks so dirty....baahaha
    10-02-08 10:59 PM
    i had no other option!!
    10-02-08 11:01 PM
    i had no other option!!
    Note to self, when visiting stickler... keep berry in pocket. Addendum to self... wear the DEEP POCKETS.
    10-02-08 11:53 PM
    why did the bear in your picture go all the way to the last stall - he needs to be closer to the front of the picture
    10-05-08 06:56 PM

Does anyone else have trouble with the trackball always getting yellowish and dirty? I never touch my phone with nasty hands or while I am eating so I don't know how it's happening. The trackball gets yellowish and looks gross on my sexy curve. I have ordered two new trackballs since I got my curve three months ago just to see the difference. They start out white but end up yellow within a couple weeks. I have followed most of the popular cleaning methods like dishwasher, vinegar + hot water, etc. and none of them work. The trackball stays the same color.

dishwasher......?

eek!
    10-06-08 12:43 PM
    So...I ordered two from a seller on eBay listing them as BRAND NEW OEM trackballs. They came sealed in little baggies like my previous one I had bought from cnn, except the baggie was a bit different. I was disgusted because these don't look new. I will let you take a look, here is a picture I just took showing the new trackball that I JUST took out of the bag next to my current one that is still installed in my phone:

2.2MB photo http://cmwake.com/bbpics/trackballs.jpg

-Caleb
    10-07-08 11:30 PM
    I use eyeglass cleaner towelettes. Picked them up at WalMart, and I wipe my phone down with them, and roll the trackball around. Keeps it nice and clean, and also keeps the screen and the rest of the body nice and clean and it wont harm it.
    10-08-08 11:36 AM
    New to BB but I have some dummy phones for pearls and curves and I poped out the ball and was wondering if that would work? its just a clear ball.
    10-08-08 11:45 AM
    Here's the trackball page mentioned earlier. I also can't stand a dirty trackball so I replace mine every two months. It's worth the $12 delivered to me. I advise caution when you buy one. I'd rather spend a couple extra bucks and get one from a reliable source. My berry is important to me and I don't want to cut corners.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...rackball-3243/

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-08-08 11:48 AM
    you can order brand new OEM blackberry trackballs at Calan Mobile - Blackberry Cell Phone Parts and Repair - Welcome to my Online Store they also have housing components and accessories, check them out! email them with anything you don't see, because they keep lots of items in stock in small quantities that aren't posted on the site
    10-08-08 12:47 PM
    Haha a trackball for $25?? No thanks...
    10-08-08 12:51 PM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD