Ok, so I've been lurking here for about 6 month and recently joined when I got my new toy. I've seen all types of problems with the Curves, except the one that just recently popped up today for me.

Symptoms, Conditions, & Notations:

*Trackball clicking randomly works, yet scrolls fine. Replaced it with 2 that are known to function perfectly. Same result.

*ALT+(any button) doesn't work. ALT+Back, ALT+R shift+Del, etc. ALT itself DOES work, as do all the other buttons. But combining for effect does NOT.

*2 days ago I added the data package and went "live". Set up email, surfed, etc. No problems whatsoever. Now I have a diagonal arrow in the upper right corner that keeps popping up.

Questions:

* What the heck is wrong with my phone? Did I accidentally hit some keyboard setting inadvertantly?

*What's the arrow all about?

Thanks all,

Jack
    Last edited by zx7rou812; 11-24-09 at 09:46 PM.
    11-24-09 08:57 PM
    the arrows mean network activity like Incoming/Outgoing data.

The trackball might be the dome, it might need replacement.

Not sure about the keyboard.
    11-24-09 09:06 PM
    the arrows mean network activity like Incoming/Outgoing data.

The trackball might be the dome, it might need replacement.

Not sure about the keyboard.
    Thanks for the heads up, entwined82.

Any other advice from the afternoon gurus?

Jack
    11-25-09 03:34 PM
    The arrows are data incoming and outgoing. You may need a whole tb module thing instead of just the trackball

I think cnn.cn has them.

As for the keys - water damage or fault keyboard? Hard to say

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-25-09 03:59 PM
    With the keys, it could also be a software issue. An OS reload might help.
    11-25-09 04:08 PM
    OK : Update

Reloaded OS and installed new module/ring.
    Still doing the same thing.
    Recommendations on someone here on CB I can send it out to, to give it a "physical"?

Jack
    11-25-09 11:39 PM
    There is a Test mode on your Curve. IIRC, get into it from the Options, Status screen by typing TEST.

It does sound like your Curve has moisture/liquid damage in the keyboard/trackball area though. Changing your trackball assembly didn't have an effect because it is likely the microswitch under the dome underneath your trackball that is acting up.

Last edited by xliderider; 11-26-09 at 12:10 AM.
    11-26-09 12:00 AM
    All tests passed with the exception of the trackball. Still only randomly clicks. Not sure if it is a moisture issue as it has never been exposed to water in any form. If it is due to damage, what are my options to repair?

Jack
    11-26-09 10:56 AM
    Use the link provided by bigbadwulf in the first post in this thread to clean the microswitch under your trackball:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f52/tra...le-now-300038/

FYI, if you remove your dome switch cover, you will most likely need to buy more domes, and you void your warranty by taking your microswitch dome cover off.

Also, you could use the Enter key for about 80% of the times you would use the trackball click/select action.

I'm assuming your Curve is beyond the 12 month warranty period, and you don't have insurance?

11-26-09 11:51 AM
    Use the link provided by bigbadwulf in the first post in this thread to clean the microswitch under your trackball:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f52/tra...le-now-300038/

FYI, if you remove your dome switch cover, you will most likely need to buy more domes, and you void your warranty by taking your microswitch dome cover off.

Also, you could use the Enter key for about 80% of the times you would use the trackball click/select action.

I'm assuming your Curve is beyond the 12 month warranty period, and you don't have insurance?

Damn...Now see? This is EXACTLY why I come here. You guys, and gals , are the best.
    You are correct. No insurance, so I can REALLY screw around with it and not worry, lol. Cleaning the microswitch worked perfectly. The cover is a tad loose on 2 sides, so I just ordered some new ones up just in case. Who the heck would think even think to clean UNDER the cover, since it's essentially a sticker? How would dirt even get in there in the first place?

Anywho...
    Love you guys and gals.
    Happy Thanksgiving, and please stay safe all. Lot's of crazies and drunks out there today and tonight.

Jack

BTW: If anyone needs a spare just hit me up, as I ordered 20 of them, lol.
    Last edited by zx7rou812; 11-26-09 at 12:27 PM.
    11-26-09 12:21 PM
    Glad to hear it's working again.

Wow, you ordered 20? LOL. I would think that 3 or 5 would've been sufficient, or you could've ordered SOMETHING else for your beloved Curve while you were on the site.

11-26-09 01:10 PM
    20 were only $5.
    And yeah...Baby some new goodies. Naturally.
    11-26-09 01:57 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD