Ok, so I have the "Audible Roll" for my trackball on mute, but it makes these tiny clicking sounds when I scroll.
    Even when I turn my device off, you can still hear it making tiny clicks.
    I used to have a Pearl 8100 and I looked at it just now and the trackball is smooth and silent. So, I don't know if this is just how the 8330 is, or I'm just S.O.L.

Oh, and it's been doing this since the day I got it, and I've had my 8330 for little over a month now.

Any idea of why it does this or it's just the way it is? Anyone else's 8330 or 83xx's do this?
    Last edited by jens.bberry; 01-22-09 at 06:30 PM.
    01-22-09 06:27 PM
    Supposedly the Pearl and the Curve use the same trackball mechanism. That being said, I've noticed the same thing with mine you have with yours.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-22-09 06:32 PM
    Mine does too. I've gone through like 3 phones, and one of my mother's, and for whatever reason, the one that I currently have has some sort of trackball problem with it (they ALL made noises though). Mine current one actually needs like pressure applied downward on it when you scroll it, which is weird, as none of the others did. It seems to make more of a clicking noise than the others.... Does yours need downward pressure on it to scroll, or does it just scroll really easily?
    01-22-09 06:33 PM
    Ya my curve is a lot louder than my pearl
    01-22-09 06:36 PM
    Well, that blows toes. I don't have to apply pressure to scroll, but sometimes when I'm at the campus library or in class and it's quiet, I feel like the whole building can hear it. It's just annoying at times. Oh, well...
    01-22-09 06:37 PM
    In reply for your problem ,you need to go into the options menu click general then screen/keyboard got down to trackball click mute
    01-22-09 07:02 PM
    In reply for your problem ,you need to go into the options menu click general then screen/keyboard got down to trackball click mute
    *sigh*
    Not to be rude or anything, but apparently you did not read my post carefully.
    01-22-09 07:03 PM
    One fairly cheap option is to purchase a trackball for the pearl (usually $3-6) and install it in your curve and see if that helps. I haven't tried this myself but it's worth a shot if it bothers you that much.

01-22-09 07:04 PM
    I was thinking about just stealing the trackball off my Pearl since I no longer use it (formerly with AT&T).
    I just wasn't sure if the trackballs were the same size.
    01-22-09 07:05 PM
    Everything I've read says that the Pearl, the Curve, and surprisingly enough, the G1 all share an identical trackball mechanism. Let me know if it works!

01-22-09 07:09 PM
    are we referring to the sound the trackball makes as if it were too looose? If so my 8330 does it to, however, my wife has the same phone and hers is quiet, snug, no sounds....
    01-22-09 07:12 PM
    Yes, that sound.

01-22-09 07:17 PM
    Wow dude, you are writing because the click mechanism makes a clicking sound? Muting the roll mutes the sound the speaker makes, not the actual trackball. The rollers inside are plastic, the ball is plastic, and the ring is plastic. Plastic rubbing and bouncing together makes noise. To to sound rude, but this is a common sense thing.

P.S.
    The Curve and Peal take the same trackball, so there isn't a difference as far as the way they are manufactured, but the phones they are in and the age/condition of the ball may affect the sounds they produce.
    01-22-09 07:25 PM
    Yeah, dude, I did. I can guarantee there are far more sillier threads than this.
    Anyhow, I switched it with my Pearl. No noise, smooth, but not very responsive.
    So, I'm sticking to my SUPER COOL CLICKING ON MUTE TRACKBALL.
    01-22-09 07:37 PM
    Mass produced devices and components are allowed a certain tolerance depending on what it is. The difference between the 2 different trackballs are simply evidence of this. You could probably o through 100 different trackballs and find that 90 of them make a little noise, but it doesn't affect form, fit, or function of the device so it is not a cause for rejection. Seriously, do you get mad at you volume knob on your car stereo because it makes a sound when you turn it up? Not to mention the buttons click as you type...
    01-22-09 08:11 PM
    It has absolutely nothing to do with getting angry or upset. It was a simple question of curiosity.
    I only found it odd that even with the option to have Audible Roll muted, it still makes a noise.
    All I wanted to know is if this was normal. Just a yes or no. Pretty simple, right?
    No need to tip toe on your soap box.
    01-22-09 08:18 PM
    I'm well aware of the concept of manufacturing tolerances. The OP made an observation about the trackball in her pearl as opposed to the trackball in her curve. I was attempting to offer some friendly advice about my experiences and what I had read regarding the similarities in the mechanisms.

That being said, just because you don't think it is a noticeable issue, the OP did, and since it doesn't materially affect you in any way, instead of being snide and condescending perhaps you should just offer your advice? And if you have none, perhaps refrain from commenting on this particular thread? This is a community of help and support, after all.

01-22-09 08:21 PM
    I'm well aware of the concept of manufacturing tolerances. The OP made an observation about the trackball in her pearl as opposed to the trackball in her curve. I was attempting to offer some friendly advice about my experiences and what I had read regarding the similarities in the mechanisms.

That being said, just because you don't think it is a noticeable issue, the OP did, and since it doesn't materially affect you in any way, instead of being snide and condescending perhaps you should just offer your advice? And if you have none, perhaps refrain from commenting on this particular thread? This is a community of help and support, after all.

Exactly. Want to bust people's chops? Go to the Social Forums.
    01-22-09 08:26 PM
    Let's play nice everyone...
    01-22-09 08:27 PM
    I've had both the Pearl and the Curve, and they've both made that little clicking noise when I scroll. I always thought it was normal and no big deal. However, I ordered the black G1 trackball last week and am waiting for it to arrive! I hear it's smoother and quieter, although I ordered it because of the color.
    01-22-09 09:19 PM
    I have the G1 and it is smoother and quieter than my original trackball, you will like it...
    01-22-09 09:21 PM
    Inside the trackball mechanism, the four tiny little rollers that make contact with your trackball have little grooves in them so that they have better "traction" or grip on the surface of the trackball. If you take your trackball mechanism apart, you will see what I'm describing. The trackball rolling over these grooves are making the "clicking" sounds you are hearing.

The reason your Pearl's trackball is quiet or not as noisy is that the grooves have filled up with dust/dirt/oils, or the grooves have actually worn down over time. That is why, though it is quieter, it is also less responsive to the rolling motion because the rollers aren't making good contact with the trackball.

I'm just guessing that the G1 trackball is made out of a slightly softer material than the material the clear trackball is made of. This would also explain why it also "feels" more grippy, for lack of a better word.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by dvdfan2k; 01-22-09 at 10:03 PM.
    01-22-09 10:01 PM
    You can see a picture of the 4 rollers in the trackball mechanism in the first post, 2nd picture from the left in the bottom row of thumbnail pictures.

Click on the zoom icon within the picture and if you use your imagination a little bit, you can actually "see" (sort of, lol) the tiny grooves along the middle section where the trackball makes contact with each roller.

See picture in next post, sorry I didn't know how to post the link using the edit screen.
    Last edited by dvdfan2k; 01-22-09 at 10:19 PM.
    01-22-09 10:15 PM
    Forgot to post the link to the thread with the pictures:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...rackball-3243/
    01-22-09 10:18 PM
    Forgot to post the link to the thread with the pictures:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...rackball-3243/
    That's great, thanks for that!
    01-22-09 10:45 PM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD