Alright I am new to blackberry (just got it on the 24th), I am still trying to figure out all the little in's and out's. Here is the the problem. I bought a new 8Gb microSD card from Amazon.com ($36 great deal). When it came in the mail I put it in my phone right away. I checked that the card said 8Gb and checked what the BB was reading it as. It confirmed that the card was 8Gb. Now when I went to transfer my media I got an error message that said "Not enough space on media card" or something along those lines. So I did a format of the card on the BB. Afterwards, the BB was reading the card at 3.6Gb, as well as every other way I could check (opening the drive on my comp. while connected and checking properties, etc.) I also ran an error check and it returned nothing. So the question: does BB, by default, allocate space on the memory card during formats for other various purposes, such as emails and texts and voice recordings or programs? I don't think there is a glitch or a pin that has been damage in my bb or card, respectively, because the simple fact that it read the right size (~7.8Gb) when I first put in the card. Any suggestions/help is greatly appreciated.

Travis
    06-30-08 08:05 PM
    Check yur O/S version and see that it supports 8GB after the format it seems like the device might only support 4GB. Just a thought
    06-30-08 08:08 PM
    Welcome to CrackBerry Travis.

When I installed my media card, 2 Gb, there was a prompt to format it for mass storage. Since then, it is another drive on my computer.

You can verify the status in Options / Media Card. Media support and Mass Storage Mode should be On.

Enable when connected too.
    06-30-08 08:10 PM
    ok cool, I just bought it, wasn't sure if it would require an update yet. I guess checking is always good. I can do it here on this site right?

btw it is an 8320 if that is of any significance.
    06-30-08 08:11 PM
    might be...depends on how long the device has ben on a store shelf. Not sure about TMO, but the device might only support 4gb
    06-30-08 08:13 PM
    The Curve 8320 supports up to 4GB unless they did a hardware revision. I look forward to more annoying topic lines.
    06-30-08 08:14 PM
    Yes, all media is advertised by its UNformatted capacity. The larger the media, the more space is lost to the file allocation table (FAT), which acts like a table of contents.

Your OS most likely only supports 4GB.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-30-08 08:14 PM
    The Curve 8320 supports up to 4GB unless they did a hardware revision. I look forward to more annoying topic lines.
    thanks, I am looking to see if there is an update. sorry if you thought it was annoying, but you didn't have to click homeslice.
    06-30-08 08:18 PM
    yeah i know about the allocation system. I wasn't worried about that realitively small loss, just the few gigs that I guess are over what my OS supports
    06-30-08 08:20 PM
    but you didn't have to click homeslice.
    I don't mind answering one bit but a lot of people would've answered without the snotty line. I think I'm having my male period or something. Homeslice. Nice.
    06-30-08 08:23 PM
    alright I am updating all my stuff now. Thanks everyone!
    06-30-08 08:30 PM
    Anytime! Welcome abord
    06-30-08 08:39 PM
    The 8320 itself supports 8Gb microSD cards (hardware wise).

The Official TMo OS on your Curve (OS 4.2.2.180) does not support 8Gb microSD cards yet. You can look forward to utilizing the full potential of that card once an official OS 4.5 for TMo is released

(and we will leave it at that for now... )

Welcome to CrackBerry!!
    06-30-08 08:44 PM
    Just keep your eyes open for an OS update from your carrier. Keep the card as is for now then backup your BB folder on your computer and reformat your mem card once you get an OS upgrade installed. Your current OS version is only compatibile with up to 4gig cards.
    06-30-08 08:47 PM
    Maybe I'm a bit old and not in touch with the young kids these days, what the *$&# is a "homeslice"?! It doesn't sound nice though.
    06-30-08 08:51 PM
    nice....you asked the question I was afraid to.
    06-30-08 08:52 PM
    Maybe I'm a bit old and not in touch with the young kids these days, what the *$&# is a "homeslice"?! It doesn't sound nice though.
    LOL...aka homeskillet, aka homeboy, aka homey, aka homechicken, aka...
    06-30-08 08:56 PM
    The 8320 itself supports 8Gb microSD cards (hardware wise).
    Good catch, the Curves do support SDHC at the hardware level. Sorry, I was wrong there.
    06-30-08 08:59 PM
    Sheesh these terms change like I change my under.... HA!
    06-30-08 08:59 PM
    AAhhh I was 12, and busy smoking pot. Guess that's why I don't remember it!
    06-30-08 09:07 PM
    Homeslice..f'n classic
    06-30-08 09:10 PM
    LMAO @ how often the word "homeslice" is in this thread.
    06-30-08 09:22 PM
    Hey now... I'm the homeslice (I think that's a drink alternative to Sierra Mist). He said so.

Uh huh uh huh aigghhhttt my bizsnitchesssss! I'm gonna go get a shawty and bust out dis BB.
    06-30-08 09:30 PM
    lol I wasn't sure how well that drop would be taken. I got a new question though. I just put about 2 gigs of music on my BB and now I want to dedicate songs to specific callers. I know how to make a song my main ringtone but not for specific people. However, I know if I go to ringtones I can use those for specific people..... now that I think about it, is it as simple as importing the songs I want to use into the ringtone folder on my phone to begin with? ........ lets try I will get back to ya all
    07-01-08 12:55 AM
    nvm I think i got it. have to go to the address book and set it there. I hope it works.
    07-01-08 01:01 AM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD