So I cracked the outer screen on my 8330 last night, and it looks like the only financially sound option is to fix it myself.

Has anyone already done this and can give me a bit of advice before I start? Where did you buy your tools/replacement parts? I've found a replacement screen on ebay, but can't seem to find torx drivers/case remover that are compatible with the 8330. Any help would be appreciated.
    11-23-08 08:50 AM
    Just the lens you mean, the outside screen?

All you need is a fingernail, I change mine sometimes, I just slide my nail into the top part by the speaker, and gently lift, it pulls right off, apply the adhesive to the new one, press on, done. This is the easiest job to do with the BB. You dont even need to take it apart to replace it.
    11-23-08 08:52 AM
    How much did you have to pay for a new screen? I see some on ebay for $12-13, but they don't specify GSM/CDMA (which apparently makes a difference?). I found a CDMA one for $26, and I'm not sure why it's double the price...
    11-23-08 09:13 AM
    Its cdma, from where I remember reading this, it also said that rumors show the 8330 to be dual gsm/cdma when really its only cdma.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-23-08 09:28 AM
    I shop at Cellular Accessories - Panasonic, NEC, Samsung, SonyEricsson, BlackBerry, HTC, Accessories Store, Mobia but i think they are sold out of the lens for your phone, and yes gsm and cdma lens are different, yours wont fit on mine...

Youll need one specific.
    11-23-08 09:30 AM
    Do you know how they are different? The lens on the link you gave doesn't specify CDMA or GSN, but it looks exactly like my lens. From the pictures I've seen, it seems that the GSN version doesn't have the silver colored bar across the top of the lens. Can you verify?

Thanks for all your help on this, I'm glad I don't have to spend $430 on a new phone
    11-23-08 12:21 PM
    Its shaped different as the trackball/escape/call/hang up keys are different, the led is also in a different place, I think its wider.. I have a 8330 lens here, and there is no way it would look good on my 8320 phone
    11-23-08 12:28 PM
    what kind of adhesive do you use and where can i get it. my screen has raised from my phone due to me dropping it. now lent and other crud is getting under my screen and i need to pull it off and clean it but i dont want to until i have all the proper stuff. HELP!
    12-08-08 11:23 PM
    Go to dealsishop.com just got my new screen from them. It was very easy to apply and cheap.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-08-08 11:47 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD