What's good CBer's. I am about to go on my 3rd tour of iraq next month. I was wondering if my bb will work over there. If I got a int'l plan, would that help me? Does tmo have a tower over there? If anyone has a legitimate answer, please reply

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-04-09 09:31 AM
    No it doesnt. it stops workin once you enter in from Kuwait...

kill..
    04-04-09 09:39 AM
    Yeh good luck. We had a few local cell phones in kuwait but not working closer to the worlds a**hole. Be safe brother or sister.

04-04-09 09:54 AM
    the only thing mine was ever used for was media (pics, vids, etc...) and an alarm clock...

but most of the time i had to have the battery out. hope this helps.

kill..
    04-04-09 10:03 AM
    No answer, but be safe. On your 3rd tour? That is above and beyond service. Thank you for that.

04-04-09 10:07 AM
    Same answer as above. Just used it for media and such. 3rd tour? Be safe! I finished my 4th and last (hopefully) tour for Iraq in 2006. Total of 7 deployments to the Middle East alone since Desert Shield and Desert Storm.
    04-04-09 10:22 AM
    Anyways its cheaper to use the openband/segovia phones over there anyways. They are at 4cents per min if I remember correctly vrs the 45cents per min that AT&T offers.

You could also you could use msn messenger or yahoo messenger and use their vid chat options to make your "calls".

04-04-09 10:22 AM
    you will need a GSM phone. When I was there in 06-07, the MTT I was with had phones issued by the US embassy. It was cool because they had New York numbers so people could call me from the states and it was like they were calling New York.

04-04-09 10:33 AM
    God bless you and your unit! Come home safe!! If you get to a pc...hit us back and we'll chat it up!! Thank you for our freedom!!!

04-04-09 10:34 AM
    Bless all of you that defend our freedom. We are very greatful.

04-04-09 11:44 AM
    Hey man, look into skype or vonage... Their services now can be used on any computer. Or get a webcam for yahoo vid chat like mentioned before. All work great.
    Anytime we would go outside the wire we would have to take our batteries out of dang everything cept our BFT it seemed like!

kill..

04-04-09 12:53 PM
    I have a friend over there now and we use Skype. It's free as long as you're talking PC to PC. Every now and then he calls my cell from Skype and it's also not too bad. A slight buzz in the background, but you get used to it since you get to talk to that person.

Be careful and stay safe! Thank you for all you do!
    04-04-09 01:01 PM
    god bless you guys and gals, come home safe and soon. i would definately look into all of the options posted above. see whats easiest for you and your family.
    04-04-09 01:02 PM
    Many thanks to you and yours for your service!! Many good thoughts your way that you may return home safe!

04-04-09 01:26 PM
    No it doesnt. it stops workin once you enter in from Kuwait...

kill..
    I'm reading this thread and I guess somethings have changed. My friend had tmo while there just 2 years ago and while it wasn't a BB phone, he was able to make and receive calls. Makes me wonder now the fact he was sitting on Saddam had anything to do with the coverage. And like others have said, Skype works great.

from old jarhead to another jarhead, Semper Fi
    04-04-09 01:32 PM
    I took my Tmo samsung (between blackberries)to Iraq 2004-2005 and was able to use a Baghdad area simcard, as well as one from Syriatel when I was up near where the Euphrates crosses into Syria (Al Qaim/ Husaybah Area). that phone is still in the Baghdad area today with a friend
    06-27-09 12:42 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD