Anyone know of a good tip calculator for the Curve?

I got so use to the one installed on the LG phones, but there's not one preloaded on the Curve.

I've tried "Geotip" but the Blackberry version is horrible.
    08-14-08 08:45 AM
    In your head - take 10% of the bill, then double it for the tip. Kind of easy!
    08-14-08 08:49 AM
    In your head - take 10% of the bill, then double it for the tip. Kind of easy!
    Thanks Genius.....if you've seen these tip calculators they allow you to take a bill, add any tip amount and then split the bill up for more than one person. I know how to calculate a 20% tip.

If you don't have a constructive response to a thread, just ignore it and move on, but to feel the need to put a smarta$$ response is pretty lame.
    08-14-08 08:53 AM
    Thanks Genius.....if you've seen these tip calculators they allow you to take a bill, add any tip amount and then split the bill up for more than one person. I know how to calculate a 20% tip.

If you don't have a constructive response to a thread, just ignore it and move on, but to feel the need to put a smarta$$ response is pretty lame.
    Blah blah blah....
    08-14-08 08:55 AM
    Sorry I'm gonna be off topic as well... Did this post bring anyone back to that Seinfeld episode where Jerry gave his dad the Wizard?

This one seemed to have good reivews, but i do not have any experience with it
    Blackberry: Sprint BlackBerry Curve 8330: Tip Calculator for Blackberry by Cool Gadgets for Sprint BlackBerry Curve 8330
    08-14-08 08:56 AM
    I just wish it was less than $12.99

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-14-08 09:15 AM
    Wow - 12.99 is pretty steep.

Just found a free program called TipBuddy from ExCellApps. Even though it is from 2005, it works fine on the Curve. Attached zip has the .alx and .cod files if anyone wants to give it a try.
    08-14-08 09:32 AM
    lol 20 percent?

try 15.
    08-14-08 09:34 AM
    15 is generally what is expected, and thus it really isn't a tip. Social standards pretty much dictate the 15% tip and thus if I tip 15% I don't actually feel like I am tipping at all. The 20% tip is reserved for those occasions where the service is actually above and beyond what I feel I am already paying for with the price of the food.
    08-14-08 10:12 AM
    lol 20 percent?

try 15.
    Have some respect for your server, waiter, waitress... whatever they may be!

Maybe, just maybe, if you grab a bite from Applebees and the service is absolutely horrible you could drop a 15% tip... but if you always tip at a max of 15%, then give me a break!!

I usually tip anywhere between 18% and 22% (depending on the service, etc). And for more upscale restaurants you should expect 20% minimum... and should probably tip 25%

Sorry man, but I think it is flat out rude to tip only 15%
    08-14-08 10:19 AM
    I just want to add my 2 cents. As a waitress I think its great that someone gives a damn about leaving an apporiate tip. While 15% is standard, if you were given great service be fair

08-14-08 10:21 AM
    I just want to add my 2 cents. As a waitress I think its great that someone gives a damn about leaving an apporiate tip. While 15% is standard, if you were given great service be fair

I've had many friends who were waiters/waitresses. To hear all the crap they go through, I'll gladly tip 20%. I'm with you mcclure, 15% is cheap.
    08-14-08 10:24 AM
    I usually drop a 100% tip. So if my meal is $100.00 I pay $200.00.
    08-14-08 10:26 AM
    OHHH WOW ! I thought that jwgraves only wanted to know if there was an application for it ! Not a lesson in given tips.
    08-14-08 10:31 AM
    I've had many friends who were waiters/waitresses. To hear all the crap they go through, I'll gladly tip 20%. I'm with you mcclure, 15% is cheap.
    Honestly, they should just raise the price and include the tip in with the food. The whole idea of tip is if the service is above and beyond. But why does it only apply to the restaurant industry? You don't tip someone who checks you out at Wal-Mart, or even the guys at Home Depot that helps you load flowers into your car. Why does someone who is just doing their job expect a 15% tip? This isn't like a Bar where dropping a few extra bucks on a drink will get you more alcohol the next time or anything. Waiters should just get paid more and not expect tips, but that probably won't ever happen because a tradition that just doesn't make sense.
    Last edited by Garz; 08-14-08 at 03:59 PM. Reason: rudeness
    08-14-08 11:42 AM
    Honestly, they should just raise the price and include the tip in with the food. The whole idea of tip is if the service is above and beyond. But why does it only apply to the restaurant industry? You don't tip someone who checks you out at Wal-Mart, or even the guys at Home Depot that helps you load flowers into your car. Why does someone who is just doing their job expect a 15% tip? This isn't like a Bar where dropping a few extra bucks on a drink will get you more alcohol the next time or anything. Waiters should just get paid more and not expect tips, but that probably won't ever happen because a tradition that just doesn't make sense.

Also, OP, blackberry tip calculator - Google Search that took me less time than it did for you to create this thread.

No kidding cmptrnrd16 (gee I never thought of doing a google search, another genius joins this thread)...I did that search but you obviously didn't try downloading any of the hits that google comes back with. Most of them either don't work or reference the Geotip program which I already said is not too good. I eventually found the answer myself in a free program called TipBuddy. And if everyone's response on this forum is "did you try a google search" then why even have this forum?
    08-14-08 01:45 PM

i agree

one of my bff's is a waitress and she is SO much happier when she is recognized for providing OUTSTANDING service
    08-14-08 01:51 PM
    I eventually found the answer myself in a free program called TipBuddy. And if everyone's response on this forum is "did you try a google search" then why even have this forum?
    Why post a thread with a question, if you're going to find the answer yourself?
    08-14-08 01:52 PM
    Why post a thread with a question, if you're going to find the answer yourself?

lmao

cause there wasn't an easy answer delivered on a silver platter?
    08-14-08 01:54 PM
    Why does someone who is just doing their job expect a 15% tip?
    Hate to go back off-topic, but I have to say this. Servers don't even make minimum wage per hour, and rely on tips for their income. I will always tip at least 20% when I dine out, and usually more. It's one of the toughest jobs there is, with the lowest average wage. If they suck, that's another story - but a good server is worth 20% IMHO.
    (and I had received tips when working at Home Depot, but they have to go to the employee fund - you can't keep them)
    I do hope the app that the OP found works well for him, and the servers, too.
    08-14-08 02:00 PM
    Hate to go back off-topic, but I have to say this. Servers don't even make minimum wage per hour, and rely on tips for their income. I will always tip at least 20% when I dine out, and usually more. It's one of the toughest jobs there is, with the lowest average wage. If they suck, that's another story - but a good server is worth 20% IMHO.
    (and I had received tips when working at Home Depot, but they have to go to the employee fund - you can't keep them)
    I do hope the app that the OP found works well for him, and the servers, too.
    Very well stated Chaz, I could not have said it any better
    08-14-08 02:11 PM
    You could also use this:

dannyg com/iphone/tipCalc (Sorry can't post links yet, please add the www and .)

It is for the Iphone, but works fine in my blackberry browser.

Off topic:

I have never had a problem with tipping, but like Mr. Pink (Insert tipping Scene from Reservoir Dogs here and if you don't know what this is, I can post it....edited for language of course) I am not going to tip just to tip someone. I tip for service that is just ok and up to spectacular. The amount of the tip depends on the service and the person IMHO. Horrible service will probably get no tip at all or the maybe a quarter if it was really bad. Good service will usually get 10-20% and outstanding service will usually get 30% or more.

EDIT:

Ok scratch my previous post. It used to work on Opera mini, not the blackberry browser and now it works on neither for me.

I did, however, find these:

Blackberry Freeware - Free Software: Blackberry Restaurant Bill and Tip Calculator

GeoTip - Restaurant Tip Calculator for Cell Phones and Blackberry (free download)

and the best looking one
    Tipper for Blackberry - Split Check & Tip Calculator for Blackberry Curve, Pearl, 8830
    Last edited by roeod4; 08-14-08 at 03:09 PM.
    08-14-08 02:32 PM
    Ok scratch my previous post. It used to work on Opera mini, not the blackberry browser and now it works on neither for me.

I did, however, find these:

Blackberry Freeware - Free Software: Blackberry Restaurant Bill and Tip Calculator

GeoTip - Restaurant Tip Calculator for Cell Phones and Blackberry (free download)

and the best looking one
    Tipper for Blackberry - Split Check & Tip Calculator for Blackberry Curve, Pearl, 8830
    08-14-08 03:06 PM
    Firsy of all, the OP doesn't need to be so rude. Bottom line.

That being said, I was a bartender for a long time before graduating. To me, needing a tip calculator is rather ... Cheap, for lack of better phrase. If you receive good service, leave a good tip. IE 20% plus. If not, stick with the traditional 15%.

Also keep in mind service industry workers generally don't make jack outside of tips. In AZ, servers and the like were payed $2.13/hr. They only recently raised the ratw to $3.75. Please consider this next time you dine out..

08-14-08 03:46 PM
    Thread cleaned up. Lets be courteous to others.
    08-14-08 04:04 PM
55 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD