Hello Everyone,

I'm no on my 3rd Curve. I received a replacement from Verizon about a month ago but the other day it began to refuse to charge - the plug port is loose. Verizon is telling me that they could not make a connection long enough to transfer my phonebook, so I have to manually write all of my contacts down, which is TERRIBLE! There MUST be an alternative way... isn't there??

Anyhow, before I return to Verizon this morning, my question is this:

Does each individual BB need it's own desktop software CD? I did not get one when the VZW guy gave me the replacement phone. Do I need to get one because I now have a different PIN (again), or will the CD from my original BB be able to work with this phone?

Please help by providing an answer ASAP, as I have to leave for Verizon in 30 minutes! Thank you, fellow CrackBerries!

SmeeBig7.
    01-19-09 09:39 AM
    Dont you have a backup from when you transfered from your previous device? You can download the software from BlackBerry
    01-19-09 09:41 AM
    No, you can use what you have, or download another version from BlackBerry It will recognise the new pin.
    01-19-09 09:41 AM
    Dont you have a backup from when you transfered from your previous device? You can download the software from BlackBerry
    No I don't, sadly. They never gave me the desktop software CD with that phone, either. (And the prior phone was mailed back just a few days ago... if only they could sync that one up and get my contacts... grrr. ) Also, I went to BlackBerry's site, but how do I know what to download?

Thanks,
    SmeeBig7.
    01-19-09 09:45 AM
    the thing i hate about verizon is that u cant save numbers on to a sim card and import numbers from it like i did with tmobile
    01-19-09 09:46 AM
    https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads...93E4F3BB068C22

Try 4.5 or 4.6 for use with your curve.
    01-19-09 09:49 AM
    the thing i hate about verizon is that u cant save numbers on to a sim card and import numbers from it like i did with tmobile
    That's the one and only thing I am beginning to hate, too!
    WHY don't they use Sim cards?

SmeeBig7.
    01-19-09 09:56 AM
    https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads...93E4F3BB068C22

Try 4.5 or 4.6 for use with your curve.
    Thanks.
    I am not, however, a business user, and this does not have a media manager.
    Would these two factors cause me any troubles?

SmeeBig7.
    01-19-09 09:58 AM
    Nope. When you get to the point of the actual download, there will be a version with and without media manager. Pick the one you want.
    01-19-09 10:00 AM
    Sorry you are having such problems. If you have the time, go back to VZN with your older phone or listings and make them help you.

Doctor Neutron
    01-19-09 10:02 AM
    Yea you should be able to use the existing software or just download new from the BB site. The reason sprint/verizon don't use sim cards is strictly because it's a different network. Even though CDMA is only used in the US and canada it is still a better network then GSM. But back to your problem, you should be able to select which version you need right on the BB site just like wnm said above.
    01-19-09 10:05 AM
    Verizon also has an over the air backup utility which stores your contacts on their servers every day. I believe it is called VZ Backup Manager. We use it on our phones at work. It works in conjunction with your devices ESN & phone # so if you switch devices your contacts will be imported to the new device over the air without having to use any cables.
    01-19-09 10:13 AM
    The back up utility only does numbers if u want the ones to store everything it costs some $$!I think some people really need to think sometimes! Ok you should have a back-up on your media card. If not get one and one thing how the **** can verizon not transfer the data because of the port? I have seen verz tech take apart a phone to get the intel off of it ! I think you are just not thinking. But I bet you will not let this happen again!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-19-09 10:32 AM
    Thank you all for this very valuable, helpful information.
    I'll see what I can do... *Fingers crossed!*

SmeeBig7.
    01-19-09 10:38 AM
    Good Luck.
    01-19-09 10:43 AM
    I have seen phone books transferred between devices via Bluetooth. Set the units up to recognize each other, click menu, and you should see Send Using BT and receive on the other. Store did that between 2 of my devices before.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-19-09 11:40 AM
    Hey Gals and Guys,

I have no idea HOW, but today, before I was going to head to Verizon, I got out my CD and removed the desktop software from my laptop. I then re-installed it and, using the cable, hooked the phone up to the laptop.

SOMEHOW, - though it had never worked for me in the past - when I re-installed the software my whole phonebook (minus the 2 PINs I had) came back! Everything was there! I didn't have to go back! So I called VZW and told them they could now do what they needed with the bad phone.

Have no idea what I did - or, did DIFFERENTLY, but I didn't have to start my phonebook from scratch! This made my day... I feel like I won the lottery, it's also like "a new lease on my BlackBerry life"!

Thank you all for your help. You rock! I wanted to share this with you because I am SOOO happy!

SmeeBig7.
    01-19-09 04:06 PM
    Verizon also has an over the air backup utility which stores your contacts on their servers every day. I believe it is called VZ Backup Manager. We use it on our phones at work. It works in conjunction with your devices ESN & phone # so if you switch devices your contacts will be imported to the new device over the air without having to use any cables.
    FYI, Backup Assistant isn't available for Blackberry phones.
    01-19-09 06:07 PM
    if you have a Gmail account, you can sync all of your contacts to that free email account via google mobile sync for blackberry.
    01-19-09 07:07 PM
    if you have a Gmail account, you can sync all of your contacts to that free email account via google mobile sync for blackberry.
    Thanks for the pointer!

SmeeBig7.
    01-19-09 07:16 PM
    You can also sync your contacts with Outlook or Outlook Express.
    01-19-09 07:21 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD