So, I got a Pearl yesterday, and I'm already fed up with the keyboard. I've been poking around the site and noticed that pretty much everyone who switched from a Pearl to a Curve was very satisfied. I still have fourteen days to exchange this phone. The only reason I didn't get a curve yesterday was because they didn't have any in stock. They would have to order it online and then activate it.

I'm not sure, though. I kind of like the small size of the Pearl, it makes it easier to carry around and talk on. But I like the big screen and different keyboard of the Curve.

So, would you suggest getting the Curve? Are there more advantages to having the Curve over the Pearl? Help is appreciated! Thanks. :]
    06-28-08 03:07 PM
    Here's a comparison of the two -

http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/curv...n-specs-40249/

The biggest differences are what you mentioned:
    Screen size
    Keyboard
    Overall size.
    06-28-08 03:12 PM
    Thank you!
    06-28-08 03:20 PM
    i would say since u have 14 days, give your Pearl at least 5 more days. i love my Pearl soooo much, SureType IMHO is so much easier than regular QWERTY typing once u get the hang of it.
    06-28-08 03:36 PM
    You can't really go wrong with either. I see that you have a CDMA version, so the Curve will have a bit more memory as well (96 vs 64mb). But if you really like the size of the Pearl, I suggest you give SureType a chance. The trick is not to look at the screen when you're typing. Just punch out what you want to say then take a look at it when you're done - you'll be surprised.
    06-28-08 03:48 PM
    The curve really isnt that much bigger than the pearl at all less and an inch, the full keyboard was the thing that made up my mind i didnt want to try to figured out the keys on the pearl. The curve has more options too! its awesome i was afraid i wouldnt love it but its amazing deff get it!! still first in ur pockets...i am a girl and wear right pants ect still fit with out a problem
    06-28-08 04:11 PM
    You can't really go wrong with either. I see that you have a CDMA version, so the Curve will have a bit more memory as well (96 vs 64mb). But if you really like the size of the Pearl, I suggest you give SureType a chance. The trick is not to look at the screen when you're typing. Just punch out what you want to say then take a look at it when you're done - you'll be surprised.
    Agreed, both are great devices. You cant go wrong with either. Me on the other hand, could not function w/o the QWERTY!!!!
    06-28-08 04:13 PM
    SureType IMHO is so much easier than regular QWERTY typing once u get the hang of it.
    In total agreement. Which is why I still have my 8100.

But as others have said, both are great devices.
    Try going to a retail store an testing a Curve, see
    if you like it.
    06-28-08 04:22 PM
    I've switched from pearl to curve and I gotta say, I text and email 10 times faster on pearl. once you get used to the keypad its no biggie. So I say if you text a lot like me then stick with pearl.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-28-08 04:24 PM
    I have both as well, and while suretype is a little annoying at first, once you get used to it, it's a breeze. It took me about a week to get the hang of it and found that it was no big deal at all.
    06-28-08 05:03 PM
    Give Suretype a chance. Once you get used to it, you may like it!
    06-28-08 05:09 PM
    In total agreement. Which is why I still have my 8100.

But as others have said, both are great devices.
    Try going to a retail store an testing a Curve, see
    if you like it.
    Which takes me to my question about SureType. It's said to not look at the screen while typing out what you have to say. If you're typing out whole words, at what point does sure type kick in? Would you have to look at the screen some time in order to select the word you want from the list or are you expected to type the entire word on your own? If thats the case, whats the point of SureType?

Dont worry.... I'll wait!
    06-28-08 06:15 PM
    SureType works of of a combination of known words
    and words in your custom wordslist and AutoText,
    so I would imagine it is completely to type without
    looking. The more you use it the more it recognizes.
    So as time goes by you have to rely on sight less

Hope I didn't keep ya waitin' long: p back atcha
    06-28-08 06:34 PM
    trade it. but you cant go wrong with any bb.
    06-28-08 06:36 PM
    Well, I find that I have to look at the screen a lot. Based on what you've said, I should be looking at it less; but that's not the case.

..... and stuff!
    06-28-08 06:38 PM
    IMHO the curve is the only way to go.
    06-28-08 06:42 PM
    They are basically the same device. I prefer the curve for the QWERTY, plain and simple.
    06-28-08 06:43 PM
    Well, I find that I have to look at the screen a lot. Based on what you've said, I should be looking at it less; but that's not the case.

..... and stuff!
    I look at mine a lot too, you're not alone.
    06-28-08 06:46 PM
    Hiya,

I'm kind of in the same boat myself. If the Bold (or the Javelin) wasn't coming out this year, I think I'd have a Curve right now instead of sticking with my Pearl, which is about a year and three months old now. Typing on the Pearl isn't as bad as I thought it would be. The trick is to make a lot of AutoText shortcuts so that you can type quickly and accurately. But yeah...I'm beginning to yearn for a real qwerty keyboard. I wouldn't mind being able to go online with a wi-fi connection either, so I'm pretty certain about this--my next BlackBerry will be one with a full qwerty keyboard and wi-fi and all that good stuff.

I've got a question about the Curve and these other full qwerty BlackBerrys in general. Do they also have AutoText (or something like it) so that you don't have to type everything out? I'd really like to still be able to use abbreviations like I currently can with the Pearl (and as I could back when I had a Sidekick 2) versus typing every single thing out. :/

--Roxie

PS: About SureType. As with other phones that have something like it, yeah, it helps to not pay attention to what is getting spelled out as you type and trust SureType to correct you. SureType kicks in when there is the possibility that you're trying to spell at least two other words. For example, in that last sentence alone, SureType kicked in because it wasn't sure if I wanted to type in the word "is" or "us" and...there was one other word it got hung up on, but I didn't catch what it was. :P I mostly find myself looking at the screen when I have longer words to type out, or words with double letters (ie ee or oo). And on my Pearl, I set up SureType to spit out the word "you" when I type the letter "u." About half the time, it'll spit out the letter "I" instead, so I have to keep an eye on that.

Last edited by RoxieRavenclaw; 06-28-08 at 06:50 PM.
    06-28-08 06:48 PM
    Does the Curve lack SureType b/c it has a qwerty keyboard?
    Is there any benefit to having ST w/ a qwerty keyboard?
    06-28-08 06:48 PM
    Well I had a pearl for about 6 months and I was so used to the keyboard and how SureType worked that switching to a curve was kind of hard. I am still adjusting to the full keyboard but I have no complaints. I love the curve but I'm still getting used to the keyboard. You've only had the pearl for a bit so it shouldn't be that big of an issue.

Curve doesn't have suretype like the pearl since it has the full keyboard, Although I think even with the full keyboard suretype would still be helpful. It works quite well and its fully customizeable. I loved it and I wish it came with the curve.

The curve isn't that big at all. Bigger than the pearl (of course lol) but still a good size to carry around. I think if you like the keyboard and the screen size of the curve then go for it! You won't be disappointed.
    Last edited by intellekt; 06-28-08 at 06:53 PM.
    06-28-08 06:49 PM
    I've got a question about the Curve and these other full qwerty BlackBerrys in general. Do they also have AutoText (or something like it) so that you don't have to type everything out? I'd really like to still be able to use abbreviations like I currently can with the Pearl (and as I could back when I had a Sidekick 2) versus typing every single thing out. :/
    Basically same question at the same time.
    06-28-08 06:51 PM
    Suretype is needed on the Pearl simply because of the two letters per key thing.
    Predictive text on the other hand, would be nice on any keyboard.
    06-28-08 06:51 PM
    ? #1 Yes, because it is a full keyboard and each letter has
    its own key ST is not needed

? #2 Don't know if there would be a benefit, but we still
    have the custom word list and AutoText, which helps a lot.
    06-28-08 06:54 PM
    Just upgraded from a pearl to a curve about 3 weeks ago. I had the pearl for about a year and a half and loved it while I had it. I can also say, just like others already mentioned, I feel like I typed a lot faster with suretype then on the qwerty. However, the suretype also had its annoying little quirks that are resolved when you have a full qwerty. An example is when it would always type the word "are" when I was trying to type the word "see." I can't count how many times my friends got texts from me saying, "Are you later...."

I must say, though, that since getting the curve I feel like I truly now have the BB experience. I absolutely love this thing and I'm confident that you'll love it if you make the switch. And the size is a non-issue. Still fits in my pocket perfectly. Good luck!

06-28-08 07:16 PM
41 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD