i was wondering a few things and needed some answers please. on the sprint network can u text while on a call. can u use the internet while on a call. can u use aim or beejive while on a call, can u record calls and also does it have the latest os that the 8350i on the nextel has? can some one please help and answer these questions for me im thinking of getting a blackberry and need ur input and help
    02-11-09 12:20 AM
    The 8330 isn't exactly 3G so you can't send/recieve anything that requires data during a call. I'm not sure about text tho, it might allow that. The newest os is 4.5. The 8330 is a solid device and I'm very glad I got it with sprint.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-11-09 12:27 AM
    Just tested. I called my voicemail and left it in call. During that time I sent a txt to my wife, and tried to browse. The browser gave me a message that the browsing is not available during a call. Once I ended the call, my wife got the txt.

I don't think internet and txt is available during a call.

I just updated my OS to the latest official sprint 4.5. Not sure if that's the same version as 8350i.

Hope this helps!

Btw, I have a sprint curve 8330. (c:
    You will love it!!!

02-11-09 12:29 AM
    ill take that into consideration. i just would like if i could text during a call and other things. thanks though i appreciate the feedback
    02-11-09 12:37 AM
    The 8330 isn't exactly 3G so you can't send/recieve anything that requires data during a call. I'm not sure about text tho, it might allow that. The newest os is 4.5. The 8330 is a solid device and I'm very glad I got it with sprint.

3G has nothing to do with the ability to send/receive data during a call. 3G has to do with network technology and data speeds. Sprint and Verizon are EVDO Rev-O and Rev-A, which is the CDMA version of 3G. Thus, they are truly 3G.

AT&T has done a really good job at brainwashing people into thinking that 3G means simultaneous voice and data, when that isn't the case. They've also done a really good job in brainwashing people into thinking the only 3G is their 3G.
    02-11-09 12:44 AM
    now im lost lol
    02-11-09 12:50 AM
    i was wondering a few things and needed some answers please. on the sprint network can u text while on a call. can u use the internet while on a call. can u use aim or beejive while on a call, can u record calls and also does it have the latest os that the 8350i on the nextel has? can some one please help and answer these questions for me im thinking of getting a blackberry and need ur input and help
    While on a call, you can't use anything that uses data (browser, BBM, beejive, etc).
    You can not record calls with a blackberry.
    It will either come with 4.3 or 4.5, depending on how they have updated their phones. This is not the same os as the 8350i has.

My references to 3G were in reply to someone saying that the 8330 isn't really 3G. The 8330 truly is a 3G phone. AT&T has just done some great brainwashing with people so they don't know what 3G actually is.
    02-11-09 12:54 AM
    would u know of any blackberries that u could use internet/text during a call?
    02-11-09 12:56 AM
    Those are going to be your GSM (AT&T/T-Mobile) carrier phones. I can't remember if EDGE (think ATT/TMobile Curves and pearls) will let you browse at the same time. I'm 99.9% sure the Bold will allow you to do both at the same time.

No blackberries on CDMA (Sprint/Verizon) networks will allow the simultaneous transmission of voice and data.
    02-11-09 01:00 AM
    I believe the 8350i comes with OS 4.6 and the Curve's newest OS is 4.5.
    02-11-09 02:08 AM
    Yes, the 8350i uses 4.6. The 8330 is up to 4.5. As far as data and voice simultateously, no, you can't. You can't with EVDO and you can't with EDGE. With E-EDGE (what AT&T likes to refer as 3G) you can, but that's because it's a different technology and uses a different radio than EDGE. The trouble there is, the Bold is the only AT&T blackberry that uses E-EDGE, and good luck picking up a signal. 90% of the time you'll be running in EDGE anyway.

Another consideration is speed; E-EDGE supports burst speeds up to 1Mbps. EV-DO Rev. 0 (what the Sprint 8330 uses) supports burst speeds up to 3.1Mbps. EV-DO Rev. A supports burst speeds up to 4.9Mbps.

Sorry, didn't mean to go off on a rant like that, it just irritates me when I see the AT&T commercials where they claim to have the "fastest 3G network."

02-11-09 03:09 AM
    sorry if this sounds a bit misguided, but why do you need to use internet/text while in a call? shouldn't you be talking to the other party rather than texting? please enlighten me on why this is a make or break situation.
    02-11-09 03:34 AM
    Um I have sprint and I could send text during a call. Have done it many times.

02-11-09 05:14 AM
    Yes you can send and receive text messages while in a call on sprint. I just did it 5 minutes ago.

02-11-09 05:32 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD