I misplaced my airphone so I need to tether on Sprint. I have the 678 error problem when using Smartview. I would appreciate it if someone would post instructions on tethering with Desktop manager. My pin is in my signature. Feel free to send instructions on bb messenger. If someone can help me out, I promise to pass on any solutions that work.
    10-11-09 03:29 PM
    Do you have tethering added to your plan on Sprint? You can't tether on Sprint without having them add tethering.
    10-11-09 03:57 PM
    I misplaced my airphone so I need to tether on Sprint. I have the 678 error problem when using Smartview. I would appreciate it if someone would post instructions on tethering with Desktop manager. My pin is in my signature. Feel free to send instructions on bb messenger. If someone can help me out, I promise to pass on any solutions that work.
    Do you have tethering added to your plan on Sprint? You can't tether on Sprint without having them add tethering.
    I don't have a tether plan. I have inlimited evrything. I'm starting to see that it does not cover everything. Thanks for the reply. Guess I will look in my wallet.
    10-11-09 04:31 PM
    Yep.

It's been reported in the forums that Sprint has recently obtained the ability to cut off people from tethering without tethering added to their plan.

Sorry.
    10-11-09 04:57 PM
    TetherBerry Tether BlackBerry | BlackBerry Modem | TetherBerry uses the normal web data port for tethering. The carrier cannot tell from the port used that you are tethering.

My carrier wanted a supplement so as to allow tethering. I bought TetherBerry and set up my APN and it worked just fine.
    10-11-09 05:04 PM
    ^ that is an option
    10-11-09 05:40 PM
    Sprint is actually cracking down on this now? How can they tell if you're tethering? I only tether maybe once or twice a month when I'm away from wi-fi, but I don't download huge files or anything.
    10-11-09 05:43 PM
    I have no choice but to figure out something. I'll pay the extra charges if they ever come. I saw some posts about using desktop manager without needing Smartview. Does anyomne have specifics on this?
    10-11-09 07:37 PM
    Sprint is actually cracking down on this now? How can they tell if you're tethering? I only tether maybe once or twice a month when I'm away from wi-fi, but I don't download huge files or anything.
    Tethering, when done normally, goes out to blackberry.net on a specific and identifiable port number (I don;t know the number). This is how carriers are able to allow, block and of course, charge for this service.

Without sounding like and ad for TetherBerry, this program does not use the normal tethering port. Rather it uses the same port as your BlackBerry uses for internet browsing from the normal browser. This means that the carrier cannot tell/block (unless they look at your specific phone) if you are tethering or browsing.

The only disadvantages to TetherBerry imo are the high $49 cost and the fact that it is locked to one particular phone. The PC part is usable on any PC.
    10-12-09 03:07 AM
    The way the provider can "tell" that you are using an app like Tetherberry is by looking at the traffic you are downloading. For example, BB's webbrowser doesn't load flash so if they see that you are downloading flash files when loading a page that is a "red flag". Additionally when a web browser connects to a page in the negociation for downloading the browser will sometimes state what engine it is using (IE or Geko "Mozilla" or Webkit "Safari"). The BB browser returns that its the BB Browser (if you go into the browser's options you can "simulate" some other browsers) so if they see that you are using Firefox then obviously you are using a teathering app. I use to use an app like this with my palm and as long as you kept the teathering to a minimum Sprint didn't seem to care. If you are downloading GB of data a day then yeah they'll start checking you out.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-12-09 09:05 AM
    Tethering, when done normally, goes out to blackberry.net on a specific and identifiable port number (I don;t know the number). This is how carriers are able to allow, block and of course, charge for this service.

Without sounding like and ad for TetherBerry, this program does not use the normal tethering port. Rather it uses the same port as your BlackBerry uses for internet browsing from the normal browser. This means that the carrier cannot tell/block (unless they look at your specific phone) if you are tethering or browsing.

The only disadvantages to TetherBerry imo are the high $49 cost and the fact that it is locked to one particular phone. The PC part is usable on any PC.
    I was lucky enough to catch Tetherberry 1/2 off on Crackberry a couple of weeks ago when it was discovered Sprint blocked tethering for those on the Everything plans and it works fantastic.
    10-12-09 03:41 PM
    Any chance of getting tetherberry to run the discount again for us late bloomers? I was still in denial for the first run.
    10-18-09 07:41 AM
    I saw a post in another forum for a workaround for sprint pcs users by disconnecting a secondary modem, guess that wouldnt translate over to bb user?
    11-04-09 09:47 AM
    Any chance of getting tetherberry to run the discount again for us late bloomers? I was still in denial for the first run.
    plus 1 bajillion!!!
    11-05-09 08:06 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD