I just got my first Crackberry! I am switching over from the Treo line (I had a 680 and a 750) and love the new Crackberry. The only question I have is ... is there a way to update the texting software? With the treos, all the texts from the same person are contained in one window kind of like an instant messaging software like AIM. But with the Crackberry, I noticed it is kind of rough and each individual text is listed. Is there a way to upgrade to Windows Moblie 6 or upgrade just the texting format without using Blackberry Messaging? Any advice is appreciate.

THANKS!!
    Sean
    10-19-07 12:28 PM
    ...Is there a way to upgrade to Windows Moblie 6...
    Umm, nobody here would consider going from a BlackBerry Curve to WinMo an UPgrade....

BlackBerry Messenger uses PIN messages, which are direct BlackBerry-to-BlackBerry, data only, and do not count against your SMS text message count. They are displayed in a threaded IM format, just like AIM or Yahoo.

Yes, the SMS interface is a bit bare, and I don't know of any 3rd-party apps to dress it up. My wife and I primarily use BBM, and the other folks I chat with are on Yahoo or MSN IM, which I use JiveTalk for. SMS is plain text only, so it doesn't need much dressing up, anyways, IMO.

My advice to you: convince all your friends to get BlackBerries and use BBM!
    10-19-07 04:06 PM
    My texts from each conversation are listed in the same window.
    10-19-07 04:08 PM
    OK... so stupid newbie question.... can I PIN someone with a treo or anything other than a BB? Thanks for the advice rrrebo!!
    10-19-07 06:23 PM
    My texts from each conversation are listed in the same window.
    so are mine....
    10-19-07 06:57 PM
    OK... so stupid newbie question.... can I PIN someone with a treo or anything other than a BB? Thanks for the advice rrrebo!!
    Nope, PIN messages are BB2BB only. The PIN is like a MAC address for BlackBerry devices-each BB has a unique PIN.
    11-05-07 09:48 AM
    OK, So I got my gf's PIN and sent a request but it never gets to her. I have tried it with the phones side by side but it doesn't seem to work. What am I doing wrong?
    11-05-07 10:08 AM
    ok, try this:

Enter her PIN in your Contact/Address Book entry for her. Now, using the Messages Folder, COMPOSE PIN and send her a message and see if it gets to her BB.

If it does not, you either don't have the right PIN for her, you don't have a Data Plan (in which case you likely won't be able to send anyway), or something else... pull the battery on both devices while powered on, and reboot them. Try again.
    11-05-07 10:20 AM
    This is gonna be long but....

Creating Contact Lists

Your contact list displays your individual contacts and contact groups. A contact is an individual BlackBerry Messenger user. You must request contacts to install BlackBerry Messenger on their BlackBerry before you can exchange instant messages with them.

You can send requests to contacts by e-mail or PIN (personal identification number). To find your PIN click on the �Options� icon. Scroll down the menu to Status. Click the Wheel and you will see the PIN listed on this page.

To add a contact, go to the Messenger icon and open Messenger. Click on �Contacts.� From the resulting menu, click on �Add a Contact.� Click �Use Once�. You can then ask this contact if they wish to be a contact on your list. Click �Request by Email� or �PIN� and then type either the address or PIN. Press the �Enter� key. To add a message. Click �OK.�

If you request a contact by PIN and they are listed in your address book their contact name appears as their ascribed name, not their PIN number.
    To remove someone from your contact list, just click the contact on the Contact List screen. Click �Delete Contact� from the menu. Click �Delete.� If you wish to see a contact�s information, click the contact on the Contact List screen and then select Click �Contact Info.�

You can use groups to sort your contacts. The default group is Contacts. To add a group to your contact list, click the Track Wheel on the Contact List screen. Click �Add Group.� Type a name. Click �OK.�

To move contacts from one group to another, click the contact on the Contact List screen. Click �Move.� Select a group. To remove a group, click a group name on the Contact List screen. Click �Delete Group.� Click �Delete.�

Hope that helps, if not, you can check the "How To" section on CRackberry's site....
    11-05-07 10:26 AM
    I Know someone on here has the answer for you. When I am texting on my Blackberry it NL in the upper right hand corner and seems to most of my spelling is incorrect. How do I change back to normal and what does NL stand for.
    10-01-09 06:55 PM
    You are talking about threaded SMS. I understand that with the new 5.0 OS upgrade for the 8330 threaded is included. I have the 8330m so the OS upgrade is not for my BB; I use Empower's SMSViewer app for threaded text love it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-02-09 07:14 PM
    I Know someone on here has the answer for you. When I am texting on my Blackberry it NL in the upper right hand corner and seems to most of my spelling is incorrect. How do I change back to normal and what does NL stand for.
    It sounds like you might have your language set to Dutch (NL usually stands for the Netherlands). Go to Options>Language and check it.
    10-04-09 12:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD