I switched over to the Blackberry from the Treo and the only thing I'm bummed about is that it doesn't appear that i can send a text message while i'm talking on the phone. Is there a setting i can change to allow this? my carrier is sprint and they said they can't find any documentation re: this issue but that some of their users report they are able to do it. Thanks!
    07-20-08 07:20 PM
    You can easily to this!!

When I do this, for whatever reason... I hit the menu key while in the call and go to "Show Home Screen". Then you can browse, message, whatever you want... while still on the phone!

Or you can hit Alt - Back to bring up the app switcher while in call... then switch to the messages. Whatever you want!

And Welcome to CrackBerry!!
    07-20-08 07:25 PM
    Well... Welcome to crackberry.com

The easiest thing to do is to set your convenience key to "SMS/MMS" or "Messages" (if you don't have them separated) and so when you are on the phone, you hit the convenience key and it goes to the SMS/Messages app.

You can change this by going to Options --> Screen/Keyboard.
    07-20-08 07:48 PM
    the other alternative is while on the phone hit the back button which will politely ask if you'd like to visit the home screen... and then just follow what the second poster said. So there are 3 easy options.
    07-20-08 08:00 PM
    In my experience the person on the phone still hears the click-clicking of the buttons though.
    Maybe I press them too hard. I didn't think I was.
    Anyone else ever get complaints of this?
    07-20-08 08:36 PM
    for some reason i didnt think you could send any sms while on the phone...
    07-20-08 09:35 PM
    well you can..
    07-20-08 09:40 PM
    In my experience the person on the phone still hears the click-clicking of the buttons though.
    yes ive gotten this complaint but dont worry its not just you it happens to every phone idk one phone that you cant hear the clicking when someone is texting and talking to you on the phone

Jared
    07-20-08 09:47 PM
    Yea it tends to tick off the person you are talking to. The mic on the curve is almost to good, and the keys are a little load but it let's you know you successfully hit the key.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-20-08 09:50 PM
    That's exactly what I do! It never fails that as soon as I get a call my daughter sends me a text and I am able to reply without any problem. I have asked the person calling if they can hear me when I am replying to the text and they have said no.
    07-20-08 09:51 PM
    I can only tell someone is texting if they have me on speaker phone. Use the ear piece for your calls and you can text away without the person on the phone being any the wiser.
    07-20-08 09:52 PM
    My problem is when I attempt to send it gives me an error. It will send it once I'm off the phone.

07-20-08 09:57 PM
    Hmmm.... I'm hearing different things here. Sometimes my texts go through, and sometimes I get the red X. It says something like "mobile equipment failed." And it may even happen during the same phone call. Anyway to ensure that my texts go through every time?

07-20-08 10:00 PM
    You can text while your on the phone if you click the menu button and select homescreen like ppl have said. But it is extremely loud for the other person. For some reason it sounds magnified. My best friend and I both have berries and every time I'm on the phone with her she sends like 8,000 txt msgs and I feel like my ears will bleed from the constant clicking.
    07-20-08 10:43 PM
    Works fine on AT+T. Is the ability to text while in a call related to protocol? I thought I heard somewhere that cdma shares data and voice connections and you can't use data while in a call, but I'm prolly wrong hehe

07-21-08 01:48 AM
    I have no idea; I don't do that too often. If someone wants to text while they're talking to me, I just hang up. They can call me back when they can focus on MY conversation for five minutes...
    07-21-08 01:50 AM
    well you can..
    i just throw mine on speaker and txt...
    although sometimes my girl can hear me txting and she doesnt like that much, since im supposed to be paying attention to the stuff she is saying lol...
    07-21-08 02:12 AM
    Hmmm.... I'm hearing different things here. Sometimes my texts go through, and sometimes I get the red X. It says something like "mobile equipment failed." And it may even happen during the same phone call. Anyway to ensure that my texts go through every time?

I experience the same thing with my curve. It seems like it is only with sprint users. Sometimes I can send one and then the rest have a red x. I don't receive any while on the phone either.
    07-23-08 04:51 PM
    I haven't tried txting while on the phone but I have used the speakerphone while on the internet. I believe you can hit the berry and go to the home screen and from there into another app. Have you tried anything yet?

07-23-08 04:55 PM
    Works fine on AT+T. Is the ability to text while in a call related to protocol? I thought I heard somewhere that cdma shares data and voice connections and you can't use data while in a call, but I'm prolly wrong hehe

you are right about this... CDMA does share data and voice, but you CAN talk on the phone and SMS at the same time... you can't use anything else data intensive, i.e. google maps while driving and on the phone

seems that with EV-DO rev 0, it's either data or voice, EV-DO rev A phones can do voice and data at the same time... but i might be wrong as well...

wonder if those of us who own curves on sprint and verizon will be able to software upgrade to rev A like with the HTC mogul
    07-23-08 08:42 PM
    i talk and text at the same time all the time. due to the fact that i use my BT Headset all day everyday. but its easier if you do have a BT headset.
    07-23-08 10:22 PM
    Everybody who gets stuck on the phone while I text complains about this!
    07-24-08 12:43 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD