I've looked through the BlackBerry and was wondering if there was a way to store all of the text messages on the MicroSD card, as opposed to the device memory. Or something like a 3rd party program that will do this? I know that it can be done on Nokia, because I had one before seitching to the BlackBerry.

Thanks!
    07-09-08 03:02 PM
    I don't think you can on the current OS. I think you can email yourself your text msgs.
    07-09-08 03:04 PM
    I know you can save them to your SIM card, but it has limited memory so not a good idea. I have not heard of a way to save to a memory card.
    07-09-08 03:09 PM
    I don't believe you can reroute or relocate the messages onto your MicroSD card but you can try the following and see if it works.

If your concern is keeping these messages forever, or extended period of time, maybe this will work for you. I personally am not interested in keeping a message for too long after I have replied/solved whatever issue it was unless its an argument with someone significant in your life and you need proof that you were right......lol...

Anyhow, try this and see if it works. You cannot change where it will save, but I think you can manually move them to your MicroSD via Device Manager for your BB.

If you can move ringtones, wallpaper and songs into a MicroSD, I think you can also move a copy or your message folder there too. You might not be able to access the info on your micro SD for this reason as you cannot open your MicroSD content from your BB.

Hope this helps.
    07-09-08 03:14 PM
    07-09-08 03:15 PM
    Storing loads of stuff will cause to slow your BB's performance, the more available space/free space, the faster your BB will run.

Nothing like a slow BB pisses me off or a slow computer.
    07-09-08 03:15 PM
    I don't believe you can reroute or relocate the messages onto your MicroSD card but you can try the following and see if it works.

If your concern is keeping these messages forever, or extended period of time, maybe this will work for you. I personally am not interested in keeping a message for too long after I have replied/solved whatever issue it was unless its an argument with someone significant in your life and you need proof that you were right......lol...

Anyhow, try this and see if it works. You cannot change where it will save, but I think you can manually move them to your MicroSD via Device Manager for your BB.

If you can move ringtones, wallpaper and songs into a MicroSD, I think you can also move a copy or your message folder there too. You might not be able to access the info on your micro SD for this reason as you cannot open your MicroSD content from your BB.

Hope this helps.
    you cannot access system and message folders thru media manager. only media folders.

this is for security reasons, to try and stymie a potential thief as much as possible from getting at your data.
    07-09-08 03:17 PM
    You're awesome Oakie, I think I'm in love (in a cyber kind of way)
    07-09-08 03:18 PM
    You're awesome Oakie, I think I'm in love (in a cyber kind of way)

Yeah I just finished looking at that. It looks pretty aawsome, so I'm going to give it a thought.

This is the ONLY thing that I dislike about my BlackBerry. I loved how Nokia would give you the option of saving the messages on the device memory, or the MicroSD.
    07-09-08 03:22 PM
    just in case anyone misses it:

here's the info for dexrex on the blackberry to archive SMS: https://www.dexrex.com/Tour.php#7
    07-09-08 03:24 PM
    Yeah I just finished looking at that. It looks pretty aawsome, so I'm going to give it a thought.

This is the ONLY thing that I dislike about my BlackBerry. I loved how Nokia would give you the option of saving the messages on the device memory, or the MicroSD.
    the berry is a secure device, not a consumer device. at this point, it's becoming less the wolf and more a wolf in sheep's clothing. secure communication is the foundation of the blackberry, and saving your messages to a removable card is not an example of "security" in the eyes of most corporate network managers.
    07-09-08 03:26 PM
    Considering that saving them onto your MicroSD would be useless if your phone is lost or stolen....yes..it makes a lot of sense.

I think practical, not logical I guess.
    07-09-08 03:29 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD