Okay, I know that this has been asked 29345234 times already in this forum, but I want to just clear the air once and for all.

I use Verizon and I cannot sent text messages to other phones that are over 160 characters (yes, I know that SMS stands for short message service, thank you). On my old phone with Verizon (LG Voyager), I was limited to 160 character message as well, BUT I could send 160+ messages to other Verizon customers (I think Verizon calls it "in" calling/texting). So, clearly, there is a slight possibility to send longer texts to at LEAST other Verizon customers. Better yet, is it possible to make an app (I'm no programmer myself) that:

1. Recognizes when I am typing a text that is over 160 characters.
    2. Upon hitting the "Send" button, this app will break the text (this is all handled on the BlackBerry itself) into smaller text messages that conform to standard SMS limits.
    3. Then, it will send out these individual texts, and the recipient will just receive 2+ text messages, depending on the length.

This is what I am really looking for, and if there is anything like it, I'd love to know. If someone knows of an app that just removes the character limit on the BlackBerry, theoretically, I'd be able to just send longer texts to Verizon customers, no?

I don't want to send an email; many of my friends have not linked their emails to their phones.
    I do not want to send a PIN; many of my friends do not have BlackBerries.
    I do not want to send an MMS; many of my friends have unlimited texting only, not media messaging.

Thanks.
    04-06-09 12:44 AM
    I'd advise your friends to get BlackBerrys. problem solved. hehe.

all jokes aside, i have been looking for something like this myself
    04-06-09 01:06 AM
    it rains on everyones roof
    if none of the other options work for you i.e. mms/email/pin, then i dont know what to tell you.. sounds like you need to find a friend that writes code..
    04-06-09 01:28 AM
    Yeahh create your own little language.
    Me and my friend did it one day because we were bored
    |-|,| ///,-/- |,\-|, ///,(),()
    That's "hi my name is moo"
    Yeah pretty lame but its fun to do sometimes :P

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-06-09 03:15 AM
    Until an app emerges, just type 160 characters, hit send... type more characters again, hit send again...

And just fyi, if you send a txt with 160+ characters, Verizon will trim your txt back down to 160 and then send it.
    04-06-09 03:16 AM
    Yeahh create your own little language.
    Me and my friend did it one day because we were bored
    |-|,| ///,-/- |,\-|, ///,(),()
    That's "hi my name is moo"
    Yeah pretty lame but its fun to do sometimes :P
    |-|,| ///,-/- |,\-|, ///,(),() = 30 Characters
    hi my name is moo = 17 Characters

I fail to see how this is an intelligent alternative to the Original Poster's problem...
    04-06-09 03:18 AM
    Its leet..... l33t sp34k... its just a lot more complicated version lol

there is no intelligence to it really..
    04-06-09 11:48 AM
    too many threads about the 160 limit, theres no way around it via SMS
    04-06-09 12:13 PM
    I know with my treo I had the ability to hack the registry and have as many characters as I wanted.
    My fiance would get pissed because she would get 3 messages at once, lol

04-06-09 12:53 PM
    I had that happen once, I got a text from a friend who was also on att and my bold just said please wait, and then the rest of his text showed up on the same page, it was weird.
    04-06-09 01:06 PM
    I would sh*t a brick if someone came up with an app for this. The thing about typing 160 characters then typing another text is that some times when I try that I get a text back from that person before I can finish up the second page. I just want to be able to send as many characters as I want, just break up the texts. Not difficult.
    04-06-09 03:00 PM
    I would love an app for this as well. My friend who also has Verizon can send me HUGE texts and I also get that 'please wait' button while the rest of it loads as one message, but then I have to reply with 3 or 4 separate texts. Blah
    04-06-09 04:05 PM
    I would sh*t a brick if someone came up with an app for this. The thing about typing 160 characters then typing another text is that some times when I try that I get a text back from that person before I can finish up the second page. I just want to be able to send as many characters as I want, just break up the texts. Not difficult.
    just type out your huge text, saving the drafts of 160 char each along the way, and send the texts one after the other.
    04-06-09 04:08 PM
    I know with my treo I had the ability to hack the registry and have as many characters as I wanted.
    My fiance would get pissed because she would get 3 messages at once, lol

Yes, another thing I miss about Palm Treos BB can certainly learn from Treos (Palm and WinMo) - this is just one of them.

Actually, what, this 160 sms hack on the Treo winmo took only like three steps and less than two minutes to do? How simple can it get???
    04-06-09 04:18 PM
    yea i would love to have one of these apps as well. this 160 character limit blows...
    04-06-09 04:28 PM
    I used to be able to send long texts on my bb pearl.....it would break them down for me when I send the text but it would allow me to type 4-5 pages all at once. I want that again plus the ability to receive longer text messages. If any one finds a way around this, definitely let me know.
    04-06-09 04:29 PM
    I came on here to investigate the same problem. The only reasonable solution I've found is to send MMS messages. Apparently this wont limit the length of your text message
    04-15-09 05:28 PM
    I came on here to investigate the same problem. The only reasonable solution I've found is to send MMS messages. Apparently this wont limit the length of your text message
    MMS is if I am not mistaken limited to 1500 characters
    04-15-09 05:46 PM
    MMS is if I am not mistaken limited to 1500 characters
    Right but what people are forgetting is when SMS first came out. It's Short Messaging System. "Short"

Ya some carriers allow more or some device break the message into parts. But I am a believer if it's over that limit of 160 send an email............
    04-15-09 05:54 PM
    Well you can type in (1/2) at the beginning of the text, send it, then type in (2/2) in the other text so they know they're receiving a two-message text
    04-15-09 06:55 PM
    I'm beta testing an app now that enables you to go beyond 160, the app should be launching soon.

04-15-09 07:14 PM
    I'm beta testing an app now that enables you to go beyond 160, the app should be launching soon.

Ooh!! Something's in the works... My smile is coming along...
    04-15-09 07:43 PM
    I used to have a samsung omnia (with verizon). I thought that although there was a charactor limit, if you continued to type the system would automatically break your message down into several messages on the recieving end?? That has happen to me with the omnia and previous phones.
    04-29-09 03:08 PM
    I used to have a samsung omnia (with verizon). I thought that although there was a charactor limit, if you continued to type the system would automatically break your message down into several messages on the recieving end?? That has happen to me with the omnia and previous phones.
    Yeah, I think most other phones do that, it amazes me that BB's don't.

04-29-09 03:23 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD