We bought a mobile air card for our laptop for 59 a month. I'd love to use my phone to connect to the internet since I'm already paying for it there.

I looked at Mobishark, but didn't know if this is the only way. Also, if I buy the software can we use it from both my phone and my husbands phone? Can we put it on 2 laptops.

Thanks in advance!
    06-11-09 07:14 PM
    Or does Sprint offer a monthly fee to do this? If it's less than the air card I'd like that. The air card causes issues with BB Manager.
    06-11-09 07:26 PM
    Or does Sprint offer a monthly fee to do this? If it's less than the air card I'd like that. The air card causes issues with BB Manager.
    There is a Phone As Modem addon, but I can't remember the price. Anytime I've tethered my Sprint Curve to my laptop, I've used Sprint's Smart View software without issue. YMMV using it though.
    06-11-09 07:34 PM
    PAM is free with your BIS. I use it with Sprint's Smart View software and it works just fine. You can also set up a bluetooth DUN connection and bypass Sprint's software as it doesn't seem to support Bluetooth PAM.
    You have to have PAM on your husband's phone too unless it's a Berry and included in his BIS as well.
    If he happens to have a Palm device he can run PDAnet and tether without PAM on his account. (Mods: if this discussion is forbidden please delete)
    Last edited by Gunnyman; 06-11-09 at 08:02 PM.
    06-11-09 07:59 PM
    How do I get the PAM?
    06-11-09 09:00 PM
    Phone as modem 14.99 says it on the sprint smart view software
    06-11-09 09:02 PM
    PAM = Phone as modem
    06-11-09 09:02 PM
    How do I get the PAM?
    plug your blackberry into the computer via USB cable. Run the sprint software. See if it picks up your phone as a device. If it does, you're golden.
    06-11-09 09:07 PM
    Trying to see what i get myself i know ive read its 14.99 a month
    06-11-09 09:13 PM
    Gunnyman has the answer I do that with mine all the time. Just go to the sprint d/l section and d/l it from there install and plug ur phone in works great. I have the sprint everything bb an and no extra charges were seen on the bill.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-11-09 09:21 PM
    Ill have to play with this more myself connecting either of my bbs doesnt do anything just gives me "Intializing please wait"
    06-11-09 09:26 PM
    go into the profiles section of the Sprint Software and check hardware . It will do a scan and pick up the BB. Took a couple of tries when I first got it because stupid me was trying to connect via bluetooth
    06-11-09 10:00 PM
    Just talked to sprint they claim only SOME talk plans are capable of PAM no simply everything or everything data plan has it or can add it there is a thread about all this in the FAQ section about teathering iam still unable to get smartview to find my bb
    06-11-09 10:04 PM
    Hmm must be because I have SERO +BIS on my account. My wife can't tether her LG Lotus.
    06-11-09 10:06 PM
    Probably so
    06-11-09 10:11 PM
    Hmm I already have the Sprint Smartview because it came with the air card...now I'll have to see if I can get the phone aspect straight.
    06-12-09 06:29 AM
    well it works through smartview!
    06-12-09 06:31 AM
    Awesome. You can cancel the aircard then and save that 60 bucks
    06-12-09 06:44 AM
    I'm just concerened that I will get big charges since techinally it's not 'allowed' with the evertyhing data plan.
    06-12-09 09:23 AM
    I've had a unlimited data plan for 2 years on sprint. The handful of times I have tethered my laptop, I've never seen an extra charge. They don't seem to be able to detect tethered vs normal data use unless you are downloading huge files or streaming vids, which the connection is too slow for anyway. I've taken my laptop and phone on trips for a week at a time and tethered the laptop every night for a couple of hrs of surfing with no issues.
    06-12-09 02:56 PM
    If you are having PAM problems open apps in this order:
    1. Open BB device manager, not desktop manager
    2. Connect phone
    3. Start SmartView

Should work

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-13-09 11:07 PM
    Iam playing with it now see if what frcollier mentioned helps
    06-13-09 11:31 PM
    well i was finally successful but the connection was so slow i couldnt even load google.com on my pc ill try tommorow on my laptop again
    06-14-09 12:18 AM
    BB8330 using Sprint.
    My laptop, runmning pcAnywhere needs to connect to a computer at work THAT HAS NO INTERNET CONNECTION. Just a phone line. We have been using a Novatel card on the laptop to dial the number and connect via pcAnywhere.

I would like to use the Blackberry instead of the Novatel card. The laptop can 'see' the BB as "Standard Modem" and even respond to a modem query. It will not connect to the computer at work via phone line, however. Simply returns "Disconnecting. No answer". Note: The host computer DOES NOT receive an incomming call. Apparently the BB does not place the call.

Am I missing something... some setting on the BB, etc? My Sprint plan is the unlimited BB plan for an extra $30.

Again... I'm not trying to tether to reach the internet. I just want to dial anothe computer via phone line. Thanks for any suggestions!
    Last edited by tim_hodge; 07-23-09 at 11:08 PM.
    06-14-09 11:06 AM
    In my post above, I want to make sure you understood me...

I need to dial in with a laptop to a computer whose ONLY connection would be via Land-Line PHONE. The computer is running pcAnywhere (host). I would normally just dial in over a phone line BUT I want to be able to use my BB8330 to make the call instead.

Can the 8830 just make the call and use the laptop's modem?

Again... no internet connection wanted... I need to use dial in to another modem.

Thanks!
    07-23-09 11:14 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD