I'm considering tethering at work. We don't have an ISP there and I'd like to be able to check my email and use google at times. I have Verizon. How constraining is the 5gb limit? Is it worth it? I think they're charging $10 a month now and that seems better than any other ISP I can use.
    05-26-10 06:19 AM
    I'm considering tethering at work. We don't have an ISP there and I'd like to be able to check my email and use google at times. I have Verizon. How constraining is the 5gb limit? Is it worth it? I think they're charging $10 a month now and that seems better than any other ISP I can use.
    I use it at work 5 days a week and no problems. May have reached half the limit once. I use Thther and stay connected most of the day. Normally at lunch I surf and watch youtube.

I think you would have to do a lot of music downloads or watch a lot of video to use 5 gb.
    05-26-10 06:53 AM
    What is the speed like? Can you receive a cellular call while tethered?
    05-26-10 07:06 AM
    Tethering from Verizon is $30 per month.

You cannot do voice and data simultaneously on a CDMA device.
    05-26-10 09:07 PM
    Tethering speeds are "OK", but not as fast as broadband speeds. I find it to work just fine if there are no other way to connect.
    05-26-10 09:28 PM
    Tethering from Verizon is $30 per month.
    One of the prices they quoted was $10 per month on their website, I asked for it and that's the price they gave me.

I'm gonna try it. I'll also try forwarding calls to my work phone while I'm tethered and see if that works.

Thanks.
    05-26-10 09:43 PM
    Well, if they got the price right (if it really is $10 per month) I'm extremely happy. I could just add ATT service to the work line for $27, so I'm not really interested in pay the $40 price it used to be. It was fast enough for what I need to do at work. Gotta figure out how to get my email to work through it, I could receive but not send emails, through outlook. All in all, I think this is the solution I was looking for.

I received a phone call and was able to talk, couldn't use the internet at the same time. Next time I'll try to remember to forward my calls to the office phone.
    Last edited by brocbsbb; 05-27-10 at 05:03 PM.
    05-27-10 04:58 PM
    Your email will not allow relaying. Going from one network to another network for access to the SMTP server. Best bet in your case would be to use a gmail account for sending and change the "Reply to" address.
    05-27-10 06:17 PM
    My guess is that it is something in my Outlook instead of my email server. My email server lets my blackberry send and receive email on the address. I think somehow I need to change a setting on my Outlook, but I don't know exactly what that would be.
    05-27-10 08:21 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD