As a Newbie I struggled with memory issues on me phone. I downloaded John Clark's post on how to get more memory. As a systems engineer I was able to make it work for me.

Because I have been changing phones and OSs quite a bit lately I wrote a small DOS batch file to automate some of these changes without me having to think each time.

I have now cleaned this up enough to let it loose in here.

To use it, download it and unzip it. Now copy the two files bb.scp and maxmem.bat to your C: drive. Open My Computer and click on C: Drive. Now drap the two files over to C:

BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING ELSE, MAKE A BACKUP. I mean it. We are about to zilch your phone with an OS upgrade that's gonna wipe everything off it.

This ONLY works on AT&T 8310s and then only wirh OS 4.2.2.194 because this is what I have and have tested.

I have included a short Intrruction text so please do read it.

If you modify the files, please let me know - thanks.
    Last edited by Pete6; 05-13-08 at 12:12 PM.
    05-13-08 09:17 AM
    Nice job on the command file Pete.

If you are using a carrier other then AT&T, the file can be edited to include the carriers number code.

The same applies to the OS verison you are using, an edit of the "set os=8310-v4.2.2.194_P2.5.0.44" should do the trick.
    05-13-08 11:01 AM
    Three reasons why I made it AT&T specific.

- I have an unlocked AT&T phone so I had need/could test it.
    - AT&T use PTT whch is a pain.
    - The AT&T theme is specific to AT&T (vendor 102)

You can change this file to any other carrier if you do 3 things.

- remove the file entries for PTT
    - change the vendor ID number
    - find the filename for tany theme(s) used by that carrier and include those files

If you know all that then you probably don't this batch file.

As you say, you can change the target OS by modifying the OS= line. I can't test any of that and if someone gets it wrong, they could run in to trouble.

I did not remove the BBDImension themes. I have tried and had problems.
    Last edited by Pete6; 05-13-08 at 11:12 AM.
    05-13-08 11:08 AM
    I did not remove the BBDImension themes. I have tried and had problems.
    LOL, like an old Black and White TV?

Dimensions is a keeper.
    05-13-08 11:12 AM
    Ahh, I see tha you have 'been there, done that.'

BBDimension contains the libraries for the video driver and all other themes to call upon. I tried removing the Zen theme because John Clark said it would be OK and I was using a Today theme anyway.

Once I had problems I looked at the size of the imension Zen file. It is 4 times the size of the other two. It just has to contain stuff that is neccessary.

I quite liked the no-icon minimalist look in, as you say, glorious black and white - for about 5 minutes. It reminded me of my old 7230.

BTW: Stoner as an AT&T man you may want to check out the two red wallpapers I posted here earlier today.
    Last edited by Pete6; 05-13-08 at 11:31 AM.
    05-13-08 11:23 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD