I�ve been a user of Blackberry for a few years but am new to the configuration side and confused. This is a great site but my searching has only confused me more.

My company just switched to T-mobile and gave me two used AT&T 8310�s. They subscribed to data capability, synced with outlook, and were connected to our company e-mail. The message folder, address list, and calendar all have entries that have not been updated since the sim cards were removed about a week ago, but istill get messages about apointments etc. One OS is 4.2.2.170 and the other is 4.5.0.110.

I�d like to set them up for my wife and daughter that are currently on AT&T, but only want the phone and text messaging. (I know we are only going to us a small portion of the BB power.) Also I�d like to remove all the entries in the folders.

1 When I went to the Blackberry web site and looked at updates it told me that both of the phones were setup by the Enterprise server or Professional software. Does this mean I need to remove an IT policy? What is the best way?

2. If I do the wipe (settings, Options, Security options, General settings, �key to the left of the track ball�, and wipe) does this clear all the data bases? IT policy?

3. Should I update the 4.2.2 OS to 4.5.0 once I have the other things fixed?

Thanks for your help in advance

Please keep it simple. Blackberry for Dummies is the best approach
    08-11-09 04:11 PM
    all i can help with is, definately install 4.5 OS
    08-11-09 04:23 PM
    Remove the IT policy using CrackUtil:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f35/crackutil-85617/

It is under the Advanced Tab.

Yes, update the 4.2 OS to 4.5.0.110:

https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads...E4F82F9F00E7D4

Download and install the OS to your computer.

Download and install Desktop Manager v4.6 here:

https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads...93E4F3BB068C22

Use the upgrade downgrade link in my sig for guidance.
    08-11-09 04:56 PM
    Is BlackBerry Desktop Software the same as Desktop Manager?

The newest version is 5.0 is 4.6 better?
    08-12-09 11:56 AM
    5.0 or 4.6 is good, stay away from 4.7.

5.0 will automatically check for updates over the internet for both the handheld software and Desktop Manager software. With version 4.6, you have to manually check for updates.
    08-12-09 12:19 PM
    I tried to use CRACKUTIL to remove the IT policy on the BB with 4.2.2 OS and couldn't because CRACKUTIL would only work on OS 4.3 and above.

I then loaded 4.6 desktop - had to remove 4.3 manually because it would not update -and updated the OS to 4.5.0.110. YEA! It worked..

Then I tried to remove the IT policy with CRACKUTIL and it wouldn't let me. It failed just after the password page. I tried a few times but ran out of time so I will try again later.

Any ideas?
    08-13-09 01:20 PM
    Since your company recently changed to T-Mobile and gave you the 8310s, can you ask the IT guys at your company to remove the IT policy/password?
    08-13-09 01:26 PM
    The CrackUtil technique is base on this thread, perhaps this will help isolate the problem.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/remo...lackberry-569/
    08-13-09 01:29 PM
    WOW -- I followed Reed's link and found BB Swis Army knife (BBSAK)

I did a factory reset on both phones. Just like magic the IT policy disappeared and it did a complete wipe. I was a little concerned when it took more than a few minutes but it gave me time for a beer.

Thanks for all your help guys.

My next fun will be to play with the settings on my company T-Mobile 8320 with WiFi
    08-14-09 11:50 AM
    Glad to hear that all is well.

Apparently, the addiction is starting to take hold...
    08-14-09 11:52 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD