BlackBerry for Dummies second edition has instructions for setting up the Curve as a Laptop modem. It lists a dial-up number, user ID and password to use. The ID and password both have the word "Cingular" in them. Anyway, I followed all the instructions but it errors out with a 692 hardware failure. Are the settings outdated? The dial-up number it says to use is *99#

Mark
    01-05-08 09:10 PM
    Make sure that when you are using the dial-up screen to "dial" your Blackberry that you have already opened up the Blackberry Desktop manager and made sure it has connected to that. Desktop Manager allows the modem device to function in Windows.

Also in the "phone & modem options", under the Control Panel click "modems" tab and choose either "standard modem" if you are using USB or "standard modem over Bluetooth" if you are able using bluetooth. Double click to open properties then click "advanced tab" enter this into the "extra initialization commands:" field: at+cgdcont=1,”IP”,”isp.cingular” (include that last quotation mark) use this if you have a teathering data plan.

If you don't have a teathering plan but are on regular BIS you will be under the WAP protocol therefore you can use this command instead: at+cgdcont=1,"IP","wap.cingular" (be warned tho you are not really supposed to do this but it does work! I would advise use in moderation unless you do have an actual (expensive) teather plan from AT&T) apparently it is possible they might detect this use and cut it off... good luck, mine hasn't messed up yet...

Once you set this up and you are at the front of your DUN connection for this (can find the connection in "connect to" under "START" menu) where you "dial". Click "properties" here and make sure the correct modem is checked that is being used to make this connection, then highlight that modem and click "configure" UNCHECK any boxes that may be checked under "Hardware Features" then "ok" "ok" and then try dialing now.

Again make sure that the BlackBerry desktop manager is running which should also open the "blackberry device manager" in the system tray. This must be open for the modem to work!
    01-05-08 11:26 PM
    holy crap! it worked! Thanks Dusty
    01-05-08 11:41 PM
    ok, so thanks to dusty with the same instructions, my own computer worked with my blackberry and i got internet. Which was cool... for about five minutes.

So i disconnected this new connection and within 5 minutes of hopping back on to the computer and reconnecting the connection, the new connection did not even work. Now i get a new error on the screen (721) saying the remote computer is not responding.

So dusty or anybody could you help me with this problem please.
    02-03-08 05:10 PM
    with 721 in my experience do a battery pull on the blackberry and try again, it may or may not work after that. if it doesn't then go into your service books and delete the WAP Transport books (not sure what AT&T calls them but for T-Mo it is T-Mobile USA WAP Transport and WAP 2.0 Transport) and then go to the host routing table and re-register on the network. that should fix it up for you
    02-03-08 05:33 PM
    Personally I have not used my Blackberry as a modem very much at all, although the times I have, I haven't had any trouble. I don't have a teathering plan so therefore I must use the WAP method as well.

But yes just as Raistlin said if pulling the battery doesn't do it delete WAP2 Transport [WPTCP] Service Book, under settings, advanced options, service books

There appears to be only one Transport book listed for AT&T. you can re-register under the host routing table, or you may want to actually log onto the email setup website for the blackberry (through ATT.com) Where you can add additional Email addresses using your computer. There is a button on the site which will re-send all service books. You should have a username and password to access that site. If you aren't sure of that you can call ATT support and they will give them to you/reset the password for you.

My question to anyone else--- does anyone use the method above to connect to the internet with a computer over WAP (as in not actually paying for a teathering plan) especially those on AT&T.... if so has it worked for you well? I don't use it a much at the moment but have been curious of others' use of this and their experience.
    02-03-08 06:03 PM
    my experience just comes from working the data support group for T-Mobile, I actually just had a call on this yesterday and this is the exact thing I had the person do and it worked perfect for her, have you had a chance to try this yet I'm interested to hear if it helped at all for you.
    02-03-08 07:01 PM
    man you guys are great. The pulling out the battery trick did it. I'm back in bussiness. Thank You!!
    02-03-08 07:27 PM
    Awesome glad to hear it

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-04-08 03:01 AM
    Its good to hear everything has worked out for you all so far that has been suggested here. Sounds like its just mainly minor system "glitches" when using it in this mode that can be fixed with a few simple proceedures you can do yourself..

keep up all the fun...
    03-24-08 07:21 PM
    It's worth a try

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-24-08 07:23 PM
    UGH so I wrote this huge post and since the whole idea in this thread is about using your blackberry as a modem, I actually had (still have) the blackberry on as my connection! but I go to submit my 'beautiful work' and OMG!! I guess cuz I logged in while on my normal cable internet-Wifi and then disconnected my wifi card to do this (for purposes of testing) and BAM! I'm suddenly not logged in, I lose all that I wrote, and can't go back to 'get it'.. Guess I shoulda known you introduce a whole new IP and well... there goes your cookie!! gawww.. anyways....

Since it is late, I'll just abreviate it.

I was saying I too have the same "5 min rule" with the connection stalling, then getting the dreaded 721 screen, to where it seems a battery-pull will fix the issue. I just wonder tough if this "stop" is caused on the hardware/software level of the phone since it appears the network itself is still functioning, as I noticed the blackberry still works fine with data on the phone right after it stops working with the computer, but the battery has not been pulled yet to fix the modem issue..... its like there is a cap to the amount of data that is going in/out while the phone is in modem mode? I don't know exactly how the service books work or if and how they can be modified, but perhaps its just a WAP book limitation?? I know the teathering plan has a whole other book to it I believe I know the Init. string points to a different (TCP) protocol. perhaps the book could be changed to allow the traffic before you connect?

Do the books reset(erase/rewrite)themseleves when rebooted, perhaps that is why the battery pull works? If not then its some other part of the software stopping it that "hangs" like some sort of low setting relating to data rate thru WAP, like a buffer that gets too easily flooded?

I would think that if the actual network was stopping this then all data would cease, or a simple "battery pull" would not "fix" this so it must be a limitation set on the phone!?

Just to let you know I have sustained a connection of just over 1 hour now, I typed all that last message, and lost it, loaded the flickr page, as I said I would try that before I posted, and then of course logged in here again to Re-type this! and now I'm going to post this, all using the modem connection I opened 1:04:00 ago. So it appears quantity is the issue, not time.

I wonder if I slap the SIM card from the blackberry into my old SLVR phone I have lying around from the past, and use it to connect to Motorola Phone Tools in a similar way to allow for laptop use, I've done it before but wonder if it will work in that phone with my 'bigger' blackberry data plan... I know there was big mess with having a conventional data plan and a blackberry, but I wonder how the vice versa works?? interesting...

Well its too late tonight to mess with that and I know I should prolly be careful and make sure any data used on that SLVR is counting in my 'unlimited' area, as I'd hate to pay 25 cents to load the Google logo then murder my life savings on testing how long it takes to crash!! I will post results when I get to that.. but this stuff does fascinate me

Anyone else have any thoughts on the matter? Anyone play around with anything and get an interesting result? let me know, we'll keep this going, who knows maybe we'll figure this out?

Seeds for thought!
    03-28-08 04:02 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD